PDA

View Full Version : working and playing tired (serious post)

Gildwulf
04-12-2007, 11:06 AM
yo,

This is probably better suited in psychology, but I wanted to hear from bbv on this.

I am having a pretty serious problem with playing tired, mostly due to working full-time and not getting a lot of sleep. I have noticed it is started to affect my HU game...a few more crying calls, more misclicks, etc.

I know I am at a disadvantage against full-timers right now because I am constantly playing tired and making more mistakes than I would if I got up at noon and slept for 12 hours.

Obvious solution is to get more sleep and not stay up until 3am to watch teh Canucks try and win the Cup. But I'm just curious as to how other people who work full-time or other people who have very busy schedules deal with playing tired. Naps? Don't play during the week? Sneak out on lunch breaks?

As for "why not just not play", I'm not really ready to do that yet because I would have to drastically cut down on my poker or cut something vital out of my life. At the moment, I play probably 7-8 hours of 'tired poker' during the week and 6-8 hours of rested poker on the weekend (Saturday and Sunday). I really don't want to cut my hours down but I also recognize this is a serious issue.

gw

Orlando Salazar
04-12-2007, 11:10 AM
I know you're really excited to hear from me. Playing tired is horrible for your win rate. But if you must, I suggest stretching for 15 mins and taking shower/oxygen bar. I don't imagine many LHE players are in shape, but if you can, running it good too (just not right before you play)

NU Star
04-12-2007, 11:10 AM
adderall

Orlando Salazar
04-12-2007, 11:11 AM
I assumed LHE players were already on drugs.

PokerBob
lol limit.

MusashiStyle
I have the same problem, basically i come home from work and start firing up energy drinks becuz i am too exhausted to play without them. It's not a good solution and I would also like to hear what other part time players have to say baout this.

Gildwulf
[ QUOTE ]
lol limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, tell me about it

Innocent Kitty
04-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Move down to where they respect your naps.

meleader2
caffeinated tea. it lasts longer/way more effective than coffee. i only discovered it recently and it's awesome.

ESKiMO-SiCKNE5S
i predict this will be the least entertaining bbv thread ever made

MattSuspect
04-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Hmmm, I'm an insomniac who has is always tired. No wonder why I suck.

Gildwulf
[ QUOTE ]
I have the same problem, basically i come home from work and start firing up energy drinks becuz i am too exhausted to play without them. It's not a good solution and I would also like to hear what other part time players have to say baout this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am on sick amounts of caffeine and I think this is contributing to the problem...I usually have my morning coffee, then a big 20 ounce diet coke or something at lunch, then a wake-me-up diet coke around 730pmish when I get home so I can function/play. I end up getting a pretty lousy sleep.

I can't function at work without coffee, though.

Gildwulf
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

probably

Orlando Salazar
Green Tea + Black Tea, but then you won't be able to sleep till later, making you more tired...

Gildwulf
04-12-2007, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, I'm an insomniac who has is always tired.

[/ QUOTE ]

you sound tired

AbreuTime
04-12-2007, 11:14 AM
FOCUS MORE WHEN YOU PLAY SO YOU DONT MISCLICK.

[serious business] Um, I would also try having something non-alcoholic to drink, as dehydration is a major cause of daytime fatigue. Drinking helps you stay awake and alert, even without caffeine. [/serious business]

SN AND SITE PLS SO I CAN TAKE ALL YOUR MONIES!!!11

Innocent Kitty
04-12-2007, 11:16 AM
exercise for half an hour every day. You would think this would make you more tired, but it will give you way more energy, and it helps you sleep better.

ahnuld
04-12-2007, 11:16 AM
I have two rules. Dont play drunk, dont play tired. I realised that two summers ago when I would try to play after a night shift at work and I was playing my C or D game. Same thing as you described. Crying calls, general passivity.

I dont really play after 9 or 10pm ever now, so that means alot less poker because school keeps me busy during the day. Fine. So I get in some 2-4 hour sessions on the weekend when I can. It sucks and I dont get to play many hands, but that saves me money I feel.

Panthro
04-12-2007, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
lol canucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

AbreuTime
04-12-2007, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
YOURE NOT HELPING!!!

PICS ARE NEEDED. GOGOGOGOGOGO SLEEPING PEOPLE:

http://surge.ods.org/pix/grandma_saunders/slides/sleepy.jpg

ESKiMO-SiCKNE5S
04-12-2007, 11:20 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/45/177182535_96dd81bace_m.jpg

PartysOver
04-12-2007, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know you're really excited to hear from me. Playing tired is horrible for your win rate. But if you must, I suggest stretching for 15 mins and taking shower/oxygen bar. I don't imagine many LHE players are in shape, but if you can, running it good too (just not right before you play)

[/ QUOTE ]

SALAZARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

danzasmack
04-12-2007, 11:22 AM
"I can't function at work without coffee, though."

Learn to. I was up to 2 XL Dunkin coffees a day at least. Then I quit, cold turkey. Headaches for like a week and now I'm feeling good.

I'm 100% in the same boat as you but I don't work as much as you. Play fewer days, take like 1-2 days off during the week. If you really want to play, play 5/10 HU or something. For a while I would come home, nap for 2 hours, wake up and then go to bed like 3-4am. Gym helps.

Working tired is like whoah though. It took me like a whole month to realize I was showing up and not actually waking up until around 3pm.

Also, where do you play? Play elsewhere. Change of envrionment, even if it's like living room instead of bedroom or something is good.

PartysOver
04-12-2007, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BAZAAARRRRRRR!!!

http://www.traveljournals.net/pictures/l/0/5044-lettuce-ladies-at-bazaar-tbilisi-georgia.jpg

fnord_too
Playing tired is a huge leak. Everyone does it from time to time until they get it through their thick skulls how much it costs them. (I don't try to calculate that number any more, it just depresses me when I think about all the money I have cost myself forcing myself to play when I was tired or upset, and playing depressed is just as bad.)

If you really insist on it, you should practice really good game selection, maybe drop down a limit or two when you are wiped.

Do you exercize? Eat decently? These can have a dramatic effect on alertness. I work full time, I have a family, and I probably get in about 15-25 hours of poker a week. I am gifted in that I could drink a pot of coffee and go right to sleep and sleep great. If the problem is your quality of sleep (and not just getting 4 hours sleep a night) then you should really cut out caffine in the evening and see if that helps. It will take a few weeks to really judge that though. Also, some freaks say they have more energy after they quit caffine all together, but I am dubious.

lyncks2002
GW, i have the exact same problem. my work schedule is pretty [censored] up, wont be like that after 1st of May cause im getting a new job, but for the past 2 years i worked from like 12:30 pm to 9:30 pm, came home at 10:30 pm and was playing really bad.
what i did to not [censored] up like that:
- never started playing right after i got home. got in bed, had some food, a shower, sexors then at around 1 am i started playing until like 3-4 am (i was getting up at 11 am).
- if i found myself playing badly, i just stopped for the night, it's not about quantity, it's about quality. some days after some [censored] stuff at work i just couldnt focus anymore and was just losing it.
- start to play a bit later in the evening, even if that means to cut like 30 mins to 1 hour of playing
- before actually starting to play try to NOT THINK about it, watch tv or something or do what i do, have sex

Basically, when you also work it's not about the number of hands anymore, it's about winning money, and you need to figure out a way to win money, even if that means to cut off on your playing. try to make the hours of playing COUNT and if you feel tired, and you see mistakes, just stop. if you are not tired you can take a short break and come back, if you are tired then sleep/tv/gf is your best friend

PartysOver
04-12-2007, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CHEDDARRRRRRR

http://www.dadamo.com/typebase4/imgs/cheddar_thumb.jpg

danzasmack
[ QUOTE ]
I don't imagine many LHE players are in shape,

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the only funny stab at LHE players ever

PartysOver
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RADAAARRRR!!!!

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/261953/2/istockphoto_261953_radar.jpg

PartysOver
04-12-2007, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LUNNNAAARRR!!!

http://jeffreykishner.com/images/full_moon_large.jpg

lyncks2002
stop trolling this thread please, it clearly says serious post in the title

PartysOver
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NECTAAARRR!!!

http://www.komar.org/faq/travel/hummingbirds/nectar/hummingbird-nectar-3.jpg

Daddy Warbucks
04-12-2007, 11:27 AM
I find playing several shorter sessions helps a lot.

NU Star
04-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Swith to blackjack when you're tired.

PartysOver
04-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Serious post:

GW - you're already a great player and i'm sure you have a lot of self control. One of the things that I do (did) was implement and series of rules for myself.

If I find myself getting into bad situations more than a few times based on misplaying my hands, I just stop. You can put in the extra hours another day when you're feeling better

In addition, setting a strict bed time/end of poker time for yourself would be good. ie don't play after 12am, etc.

I also feel like you can just cut down your play on the week, get more sleep and be healthier as far as that goes and then make up the hours on your weekend.

obiedman
04-12-2007, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I find playing several shorter sessions helps a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Also drink a ton of water during the day, and if you can try taking a nap or exercising at some point before you play.

MusashiStyle
04-12-2007, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NECTAAARRR!!!

http://www.komar.org/faq/travel/hummingbirds/nectar/hummingbird-nectar-3.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

winnarrrr!

Gildwulf
04-12-2007, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Playing tired is a huge leak. Everyone does it from time to time until they get it through their thick skulls how much it costs them. (I don't try to calculate that number any more, it just depresses me when I think about all the money I have cost myself forcing myself to play when I was tired or upset, and playing depressed is just as bad.)

If you really insist on it, you should practice really good game selection, maybe drop down a limit or two when you are wiped.

Do you exercize? Eat decently? These can have a dramatic effect on alertness. I work full time, I have a family, and I probably get in about 15-25 hours of poker a week. I am gifted in that I could drink a pot of coffee and go right to sleep and sleep great. If the problem is your quality of sleep (and not just getting 4 hours sleep a night) then you should really cut out caffine in the evening and see if that helps. It will take a few weeks to really judge that though. Also, some freaks say they have more energy after they quit caffine all together, but I am dubious.

[/ QUOTE ]

My game selection is generally pretty good at hu (at least since the bk fiasco). Because of how tired I am, I've also dropped down from 15/30 with some 10/20 hu to 10/20 as my primary game and some 8/16 hu with some mixed results (big downswing at 10/20, up huge at 8/16).

I go for a swim or run 2-3 times a week and lift once a week generally. But I just got back from vacation where I was eating pretty poorly and not exercising, so that may play a part in how tired I am.

I am going to try going cold turkey with caffeine this weekend and exercising a bit more.

Slider
04-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Would someone please tell me what this whole Salazarrrrrr business is?

And Gildwulf - Don't start taking aderall just to play poker. Drop down in limits if you don't feel concentrated and want to play for competition and a little money. My 2 cents.

Don't play drunk like I did either or you'll pass out and time out of all 6 tables (thus saving me money probably)

His Boy Elroy
04-12-2007, 11:34 AM
http://faculty.maxwell.syr.edu/gaddis/HST210/Oct16/kandahar.jpg

KANDAHARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

KotOD
04-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Increase the amount of water in your diet to at least 72 oz. a day, more if possible.
Eliminate Caffeine and Sugar as much as possible. If you can't go cold-turkey on Caffeine, switch to Green Tea in the meantime.
Nap during lunch and immediately after work for no longer than 30 minutes.
Eat protein-laden meals after work and prior to playing.
Add a complex B-Vitamin to your morning routine.

Most importantly, once you start doing these things, stick to them -- there is nothing complicated here, but combined they have a transforming effect on your health, stress levels, body and energy levels.

MusashiStyle
04-12-2007, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Increase the amount of water in your diet to at least 72 oz. a day, more if possible.
Eliminate Caffeine and Sugar as much as possible. If you can't go cold-turkey on Caffeine, switch to Green Tea in the meantime.
Nap during lunch and immediately after work for no longer than 30 minutes.
Eat protein-laden meals after work and prior to playing.
Add a complex B-Vitamin to your morning routine.

Most importantly, once you start doing these things, stick to them -- there is nothing complicated here, but combined they have a transforming effect on your health, stress levels, body and energy levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought sugar is what makes one play good?

fnord_too
04-12-2007, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I am going to try going cold turkey with caffeine this weekend and exercising a bit more.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should make an ongoing trip report on this.

Also, we should get some prop bets going on how many people get banned durring this period.

Ikaika
04-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Dude the 15-20 minute nap I get during my lunch break is a life saver, I'm like a zombie if I don't get it.

Gildwulf
04-12-2007, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude the 15-20 minute nap I get during my lunch break is a life saver, I'm like a zombie if I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

where do I nap? I work in like an open bullpen environment so it would be kinda awkward to crawl under my desk.

NU Star
04-12-2007, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

where do I nap? I work in like an open bullpen environment so it would be kinda awkward to crawl under my desk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do your coworkers go to have sex?

Teh1337zor
04-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Gild, I used to play tired all the time. The problem is when your tired you subconsciously want to end your session (in my opinion). So you either want to meet your goal or end your session. If you do drag your session out I can imagine its not enjoyable at all. Maybe I'm wrong tho, are you still having fun/enjoying yourself during these tired sessions?

lyncks2002
04-12-2007, 11:45 AM
i find green tea to be a very good energizer when i feel tired.
also i forgot to add that often i sleep for one hour when i get home (and it's late already), after sex more often /images/graemlins/smile.gif
getting a little rest is always a boost in focus.

DING-DONG YO
04-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Gild, I feel for you.

Funny my downswing/busto started around when I started my new job. I'm sure I was playing tired, not focusing like I once was.

Plus lol HU limit. Variance is sick.

robert jordan
04-12-2007, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, we should get some prop bets going on how many people get banned durring this period.

[/ QUOTE ]

^^ lol

GW- A lot of these posts are gold, i.e. eating right and being active, but the thing that really made a difference to me was a regimented sleep schedule.

The same way you get your body into a workout routine, you should be putting yourself in a sleeping routine. Its pretty tough, but all comes down to balance. Eating right, exercising, AND addequate sleep are all key.

Good luck

Gildwulf
04-12-2007, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

home? maybe the bathroom?

snoop01
04-12-2007, 11:59 AM
I too have had a horrible run these last 2 months. I too feel that I have over extended myself in ways that I shouldn't have.

First Im married with 1 young son (1 1/2yrs old) oh and 1 more on the way (brag). I work FT from 7AM to 3PM. I don't have time for a nap once I get home just to point that out quickly.

Anyways, I have been playing these last few months from 9pm till 12:00 to 1AM almost everynight and longer on the weekends. Which then leaves me with about 5 hours of sleep, (which I don't get all the time because my son just loves to wake up still in the middle of the night). I find myself having a tough time keeping my eyes open during the day at work.

Im going to take some of this advice that I have read so far. I don't drink enough water (hardly any really), I drink way to much caffine, and my sleep schedule is horrible right now. Thanks for all the posts and the OP for bring this up...

Teh1337zor
04-12-2007, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

home? maybe the bathroom?

[/ QUOTE ]

car

augie_
04-12-2007, 12:01 PM
this is hilarious

Worm75
04-12-2007, 12:03 PM
SALAZARRRRRR!!!!

Ikaika
04-12-2007, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My car does the trick for me, there are tons of people at my office that do the same thing.

Gildwulf
04-12-2007, 12:08 PM
ok, so here's a revised list of resolutions. I don't think I will work out every day or have time to but I will try and step up the exercise a bit.

OK, so list:

1) Be in bed by 12am every night. I think this is key, because my regular schedule now is somewhere between 1230am-2am. It has gotten worse this week because I just got back from Vancouver so my sleep schedule is really fed up (midnight is only 9pm in Vancouver).

Midnight sounds kinda late, but I am being realistic. Plus I can sleep till 8am since I get ready quickly in the morning and it's only a 20 minute commute by TTC. 8 hours is pretty solid, imo.

2) Switching to tea starting tomorrow, then hopefully nothing the following week. If I go cold turkey it's going to have to be on the weekend, and I am a sucker for greasy spoon+coffee brunch on Sundays. So starting tomorrow no coffee.

I would also say less alcohol, but I really don't drink much as is...probably 8-10 drinks a week at this point if I go out on Fri/Sat, 3-5 if I don't go out on Friday.

3) Stepping up workout. I really don't think I can do every day because I just refuse to workout at 6am before work, but I can probably do 2-4 times during the week and both Saturday and Sunday. So exercise schedule starting next week would be something like
-Monday: 15-30 minutes of intense swimming
-Tues: run or rest
-Wednesday: lift for an hour
-Thurs: swim if I rested on Tuesday, rest otherwise
-Friday: rest
-Saturday: lift for an hour
-Sunday: swim for 30-45 min.

4) drop down to 8/16 for a while until I get on this schedule more permanently and start feeling more energy. I'm not going to cut my poker hours..yet.

Did I miss anything?

Also, any of the ft workers want to do this with me?

LuckySal
EASY FOUR STEP SOLUTION

STEP1: SLEEP MORE, WORK LESS
STEP2: WORK OUT MORE, EAT & DRINK HEALTHIER
STEP3: ???????????
STEP4: PROFIT

Gildwulf
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My car does the trick for me, there are tons of people at my office that do the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

no car, I take the t to work every day. Green ftw.

DING-DONG YO
04-12-2007, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok, so here's a revised list of resolutions. I don't think I will work out every day or have time to but I will try and step up the exercise a bit.

OK, so list:

1) Be in bed by 12am every night. I think this is key, because my regular schedule now is somewhere between 1230am-2am. It has gotten worse this week because I just got back from Vancouver so my sleep schedule is really fed up (midnight is only 9pm in Vancouver).

Midnight sounds kinda late, but I am being realistic. Plus I can sleep till 8am since I get ready quickly in the morning and it's only a 20 minute commute by TTC. 8 hours is pretty solid, imo.

2) Switching to tea starting tomorrow, then hopefully nothing the following week. If I go cold turkey it's going to have to be on the weekend, and I am a sucker for greasy spoon+coffee brunch on Sundays. So starting tomorrow no coffee.

I would also say less alcohol, but I really don't drink much as is...probably 8-10 drinks a week at this point if I go out on Fri/Sat, 3-5 if I don't go out on Friday.

3) Stepping up workout. I really don't think I can do every day because I just refuse to workout at 6am before work, but I can probably do 2-4 times during the week and both Saturday and Sunday. So exercise schedule starting next week would be something like
-Monday: 15-30 minutes of intense swimming
-Tues: run or rest
-Wednesday: lift for an hour
-Thurs: swim if I rested on Tuesday, rest otherwise
-Friday: rest
-Saturday: lift for an hour
-Sunday: swim for 30-45 min.

4) drop down to 8/16 for a while until I get on this schedule more permanently and start feeling more energy. I'm not going to cut my poker hours..yet.

Did I miss anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

Drink more water. Drink coffee+water instead of no coffee. I have a gigantic cup of fresh brewed coffee that I grind and make at home and bring to work every day. Then water for the rest of the day. I can't stress water enough.

IronFly
04-12-2007, 12:12 PM
I would love to have an hour nap in the afternoon, even if I had to work an hour later.

Ikaika
04-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Fair enough on taking the t Gild; I'd do the same if I could.

Having a set routine like you've outlined is important...your body adapts to it and you'll function a lot better overall when this happens. Two other things to make sure you don't overlook are eating a decent breakfast(nothing fancy, cereal works) and staying hydrated. DDY is right, drinking a lot of water during the day makes a huge difference.

Warteen
04-12-2007, 12:14 PM
5) Play NL.

jds1201
04-12-2007, 12:21 PM
This is a good topic. I also work a full time job and have a child (6 years old). I often don't get started playing at night until 8:30 or 9:00 after she is in bed. I play until midnight or 1:00 and then get 6-7 hours of sleep. This is a big change for me as I have been a 9-10 hour sleeper most off my life. My tips for the toad:

1) caffeine is your friend, and not this pussy diet coke crap. a nice big afternoon cup of coffee helps a bunch. ounce for ounce, brewed coffee has about 4x the caffeine content of DC. +EV

2) when fatigue really starts to be a factor, take a catch up night. take the night off of poker and go to bed very early and get a lot of sleep. you will notice the difference over the next few days at least. i have a friend who plays and gets up way early during the week. he does this like once a week and swears by it. i don't do it as often, but have seen a noticeable lift when I do.

3) be critical of your play. if you notice you are making too many mistakes in your play, ask yourself if fatigue could be a major reason. if it is, stop playing. this is common sense and similar to tilt control, but i think part time players who have a lot going on outside of poker need to be extra aware that fatigue can be an issue.

JKratzer
04-12-2007, 12:22 PM
sounds like you're playing mostly heads-up right now (?) so probably not a lot of room for cutting down on tables i'm guessing. that was going to be my first suggestion, the second being dropping down in levels.

when i'm tired or not feeling like bringing the concecntration necessary for my "A-game" i play less tables and/or drop a couple limits. i got a $75 bonus on some random site i played for a couple years ago so lately i've been playing that at very low stakes building up a bank roll whenever i'm tired but still want to get in some hands.

i don't see why tea vs coffee is a big deal at all, i get way more caffeine than you each day from pop. if you're having trouble sleeping because of it then yeah cut back, especially later in the day. otherwise no big deal.

LooseCaller
04-12-2007, 12:44 PM
people who call soda "pop" need to stop.

Ikaika
04-12-2007, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
people who call soda "pop" need to stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least he doesn't call all of it "coke" like my roommate from Houston does. When he asks for a coke at a restaurant, he expects to be asked "what kind?" WTFFFFFFF.

Grasshopp3r
04-12-2007, 12:56 PM
NUUKLEEEAAAAAAAAAAARRRR!
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/grasshopp3r/Stokes1024c10.jpg

Zach Belden
04-12-2007, 01:00 PM
the problem is you have 16000 posts man. seriously, you gotta be on here like 24/7. cut out 2+2 and you'll probably be fine. I'm taking 17 credits this term and working 12 hours a week on top of that and still get around 12 hours of play in.

HBomb
04-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Gild, I'm in the same situation too, tired at work for first 5-6 hours, generally regain more consciousness by about 4 pm when I end work at 4:30 PM. Go home and fire up the computer at 5:30ish pm. I tend to play till about 11-12 most nights and don't actually GET off the darn computer till like 12:30-1:30 and it kills me.

But the one thing that really wakes me up 95% of the time is a nice hot shower half way through one of my sessions... that's generally what keeps me awake during the night.

Soulman
04-12-2007, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Obvious solution is to get more sleep and not stay up until 3am to watch teh Canucks try and win the Cup.

[/ QUOTE ]
Look, I located your problem!

HBomb
04-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Heroine also tends to do the trick for me also when I need the "wake me up"

OHFreak
04-12-2007, 01:14 PM
MALAKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR.

http://www.alaskareport.com/images4/Malakar_idol.jpg

ahnuld
04-12-2007, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seinfeld FTW

DING-DONG YO
04-12-2007, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seinfeld FTW

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you surf 2+2 in a bullpen environment?

You should hook wit your balla jew brotha ahnuld. He makes 146K/year+. Is that from job or poker, ahnuld?

holdme
04-12-2007, 01:34 PM
When I have free time, it's usually a half an hour here, half an hour there. I use the time to browse two plus two or nap. I sleep 3 hours a night and take 2-3 short naps during the day. On the weekends I just want to relax and play poker so I do that as much as possible.

I avoid caffeine 4 hours away from a nap or siesta. It actually stays in your system for 6 hours. Increasing your dependence on caffeine is not a good idea. You will form an even stronger physical addiction to it, and you will lose more and more water.

I don't remember whom, but someone suggested drinking lots of water. This is very important, and you'll find that you are less fatigued when you drink it. It reduces muscle pain, regulates body temperature, and is involved in tons of chemical reactions in your body among other things.

fnord_too
04-12-2007, 01:36 PM
I think I may quit caffine again, too. If I go busto durring this endeavor I have no one to blame but Gildwulf.

Stumpy
04-12-2007, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... a shower, sexors ...

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sleep/tv/gf is your best friend

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
after sex more often /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Either Lyncks thinks sex is key to staying alert while playing poker, or he really wants us to know he just had sex... with a girl.
http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/8708/roadtripxb9.jpg

Also, GW, if you're quitting caffine, the headaches are short term but pretty annoying. I always get them ~2 days after I quit. If you drink a little caffine when one starts, like 1/3rd coke, it goes away almost immediately and then you can probably quit completely with no pain.

Teh1337zor
04-12-2007, 01:50 PM
gild I would suggest getting sprite or fresca or somthing I dont think its caffine you crave, just soda. I know its that way with me.

Jeff_B
04-12-2007, 02:31 PM
wow yeah I am havign similiar problems simply too tired or just not feeling like playing forcing myself to play and its horrible since I am continually making plays I normally would laugh at (mostly calling all ins light as hell)

I drink a ton of soda like 6 a day and I cant seem to wake up in the morning for my 11am class even going to bed at 12...9 hours of sleep.

I have heard working out would help but I just am too lazy to do that.

Evigt_Drabbad
04-12-2007, 02:33 PM
stop wasting time on 2+2 when u get home(do it only at work!)

raze
04-12-2007, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't imagine many LHE players are in shape,

[/ QUOTE ]

elaborate

Lurker.
04-12-2007, 03:30 PM
i only read the first ten posts in this thread, but not once did i hear blow. JUST DO COKE MAN!
Disclaimer: My apologies if this has already been said, but this thread was way too boring to actually read.

Gildwulf
04-13-2007, 12:14 AM
update:

got home, took care of some conjugal business and immediately fell asleep for an hour and a half afterwards.

after a relaxing evening and dinner, I played 2 tables of 10/20 limit HU from 930-11. Yay being rested/running good/playing my A+ game:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b305/gildwulf/nomoredownswing.jpg

So far plan is working well! Normally I would play till like 1-130 but I am going to bed relatively early to get some rest. Green tea tomorrow and possibly working out in the morning if I can get my ass out of bed.

MusashiStyle
04-13-2007, 12:19 AM
i lost $500 today playing tired when i came home from work
i took a nap and now i have made $400 back. tiredness is bs yo

Teh1337zor
04-13-2007, 12:21 AM
37 bb/100 is ridiculous gj

TxRedMan
04-13-2007, 12:29 AM
GW,

What do you do and what are your hours? This is critical to my response. Being serious.

Gildwulf
04-13-2007, 12:32 AM
I work as a public opinion research consultant on Bay Street (Canadian equivalent of Wall Street). My deadlines are client-based and it can range from a lot of fun to insanely stressful depends on how many projects I'm working on. I generally am working on 7-9 5 figure projects at a time and project leader on 3-5 of them. My hours range depending on the deadlines at hand, but my average day is around 9am to 630 or 7pm with the occasional working insanely late.

If a federal election gets called soon I will probably be working pretty sick hours.

TxRedMan
04-13-2007, 12:56 AM
do you like your job, and do you plan on making a career of it?

Gildwulf
04-13-2007, 12:58 AM
I like my job, I like where I'm going and I'm 22...probably won't make a career out of it, but this lifestyle suits me for the next 3-5 years definitely. I plan on going back to school eventually...possibly considering an MBA in 1-3 years. Poker is always a possibility as well, but I am biding my time as this might be the worst time in history to go pro.

Dan87
04-13-2007, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like my job, I like where I'm going and I'm 22...probably won't make a career out of it, but this lifestyle suits me for the next 3-5 years definitely. I plan on going back to school eventually...possibly considering an MBA in 1-3 years. Poker is always a possibility as well, but I am biding my time as this might be the worst time in history to go pro.

[/ QUOTE ]
what are u talking about just put some money in firepay and ur on ur way

oh wait, use neteller instead

[censored]

testaaja
04-13-2007, 01:01 AM
Yes, I do alot more mistakes while I'm playing tired. After studying for like 3-6h I feel [censored] and tired and can't play my A game. It sucks balls.

adanthar
04-13-2007, 01:15 AM
gild,

playing tired has cost me enough money that these days, if I'm feeling tired, I just won't play.

this has a fair amount to do with why I'm not gonna be working as a lawyer much longer.

NU Star
04-13-2007, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Canadian equivalent of Wall Street

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/7808/images5cpelleting20confmr7.jpg

hasugopher
04-13-2007, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yo,

This is probably better suited in psychology, but I wanted to hear from bbv on this.

I am having a pretty serious problem with playing tired, mostly due to working full-time and not getting a lot of sleep. I have noticed it is started to affect my HU game...a few more crying calls, more misclicks, etc.

I know I am at a disadvantage against full-timers right now because I am constantly playing tired and making more mistakes than I would if I got up at noon and slept for 12 hours.

Obvious solution is to get more sleep and not stay up until 3am to watch teh Canucks try and win the Cup. But I'm just curious as to how other people who work full-time or other people who have very busy schedules deal with playing tired. Naps? Don't play during the week? Sneak out on lunch breaks?

As for "why not just not play", I'm not really ready to do that yet because I would have to drastically cut down on my poker or cut something vital out of my life. At the moment, I play probably 7-8 hours of 'tired poker' during the week and 6-8 hours of rested poker on the weekend (Saturday and Sunday). I really don't want to cut my hours down but I also recognize this is a serious issue.

gw

[/ QUOTE ]
i havn't read any replies and i know there's a no strategy in bbv rule, but i've found that i play DRASTICALLY worse when i'm tired, to the point that i basically refuse to do it anymore.

mediumpimpin
04-13-2007, 01:34 AM
I come in early which lets me take 2 hour lunches, and can get in about 1 1/2 hours worth of hands during this time. Then I play about 2 hours after work. Exercise is key! You will sleep better and have more energy

hasugopher
04-13-2007, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I come in early which lets me take 2 hour lunches, and can get in about 1 1/2 hours worth of hands during this time. Then I play about 2 hours after work. Exercise is key! You will sleep better and have more energy

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah i definitely agree on the exercise part, same with eating healthy. It will definitely help your mind-frame as far as poker goes, not to mention pretty much everything else in life.

TxRedMan
04-13-2007, 05:17 AM
I assume you're salary due to the hours. TBH, you don't sound like someone who's happy with their job. You sound like someone who has a job that his parents are happy with. That's just my take given the limited info you've shared about yourself and your parents (I can draw a lot of conclusions based on a mother who buys rogaine for her 22 year old son and spawned a hippy daughter and a Father who doesn't want his son to dissapoint his mother at Christmas time). Did I also mention I have a stellar memory? I digress.

Back to the issue at hand...I think you need to accept that poker will always be around in some fashion forever. You don't have to play right now, and perhaps not playing now is a good idea. Get some more life experience under your belt and focus on what will make you happier long term. Forcing yourself to do something you love is a quick way to learn how to hate it. I.e, playing poker when you're tired/sleepy/frustrated just b/c.

Also, if you want to play when you're not at your best, I suggest taking that time to learn the nuances of other games at the micro limits.

GL

-Tex

alexDJI
04-13-2007, 07:02 AM
did someone already mention ployphasic sleep?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep

NU Star
04-13-2007, 07:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
did someone already mention ployphasic sleep?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...this will work great at his job.

disjunction
04-13-2007, 07:42 AM
Yeah I worked 60 hour weeks, went home and had to decide whether to play tired. Now in grad school I have less rather than more free time. For grad students the work never ends, so at least I'm now saved from this decision most days.

This question is similar to asking "How do I work 2 jobs and perform high quality at both?" I don't think there's a good answer. Working 2 jobs is working 2 jobs. One thing that's easy to underestimate is how exhausting poker is, and how it affects the quality of work at your day job. Since you're young and you only live once, I'd recommend cutting down on poker. Enjoy your life, some things are more important than $$$.

Yeah, I know, there is no chance you will take this route.