PDA

View Full Version : HU stud/8 question - bringing it in against an A

bobman0330
01-04-2006, 03:16 AM
Assume your opponent always completes when he has an A up and you don't. What hands are you raising with? Right now I'm thinking any A-low-low, any Axx suited, any pair with an A kicker, and maybe some random other good stuff like 543 or straight flush combinations. What about something like (8s8h)7s? Three low cards?

benwood
01-04-2006, 04:18 AM
I'm certainly not a heads up expert,but it looks like you are being far too cautious.It can't be too far wrong to raise with any A up against his low card,see how he reacts,& then adjust from there.If he gives it up too easily,use your imagination & keep adding in more raising hands until he decides to compete.If he plays back at you instead,you may have to back off & find the right balance.

I know this sounds extremely general,but this is not the kind of thing that you can give a cook book answer to.Heads up play is extremely situational & constantly changing between the 2 players.At any rate,I generally raise with something like(Ad,Qh)6d without much thought & will raise with(4,7)Q if I can get away with it & show a profit.

getfunky
01-06-2006, 04:26 PM
one good point that was brought up by another poster is that the bi in stud8 is similar to the button in limit holdem, as you will often have position on your opponent, at least on 4th st., so he completes the bi almost always.