PDA

View Full Version : $10k buy-in game busted in Roswell GA

Piece of Cake
04-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Not sure where this goes - maybe NVG? I did a search but couldn't find any post of this yet.

Article with vid (http://www.wsbtv.com/news/11595073/detail.html)

I can't imagine anyone will get in any real trouble other than the owner, and that's only if a rake was being charged. I'm sure this happens all the time but I recently noticed some Atlanta residents on here looking for home games.

Grasshopp3r
04-10-2007, 12:20 PM
This is why these games should be held in country clubs, where there are adequate facilities. Imagine the rake and taxes from properly legalized games.

DING-DONG YO
04-10-2007, 01:14 PM
wow, wonder if anyone I know was involved?

prob not, sounds like some unsavory characters at this place.

nutsflopper
04-10-2007, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

prob not, sounds like some unsavory characters at this place.

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU DIDT SAY I WAS UNSAVORY LAST NITE

kylephilly
04-10-2007, 01:29 PM
yikes would not be a fun night in Roswell

Piece of Cake
04-10-2007, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Imagine the rake and taxes from properly legalized games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of wasting tax payers money raiding these games, they could be subsidizing it with regulated and taxed card games.

RonMexico
04-10-2007, 02:27 PM
The most ridiculous point made is from the doof police sergeant. I'm paraphrasing but it was something like, "What we're looking at here is the amount of money involved--hundreds of thousands of dollars. Somebody is winning that money and also somebody is losing that money." No [censored], detective. But how does the stake make it any more illegal than a $50 game? If home poker games are illegal, then presumably they are illegal at all stakes. He's suggesting they have to protect people from losing so much money since he and idiot news anchors think $10,000 is a ton of cash to everyone. Also, nice touch with the two guns and 200 pills believed to be X, as if a random sample of 20 or 30 cars in suburban Georgia might not produce similar results.

holyfield5
04-10-2007, 03:13 PM
[censored] any 2+2ers in ATL know of any other big home games? and a good lawyer?

ADBjester
04-10-2007, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine anyone will get in any real trouble other than the owner, and that's only if a rake was being charged.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Waitresses were serving drinks."

Gee, I wonder if a rake was being charged?

Jester

Piece of Cake
04-10-2007, 04:03 PM
From this video, the reporters idea of waitresses serving drinks could be as harmless as someones wife grabbing some beers from the fridge. Then again I wouldn't doubt if there was rake at this game.

FWIW - I think there's a clear difference in the level of punishment for someone who charges a tournament fee to subsidize extra costs and someone who's actually making a profit off the game's rake after all expenses though.

I'm surprised 2p2 didn't know about this game already.

Grasshopp3r
04-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Perhaps 2+2 knew about this game and was smart enough not to post about it, which sounds like good advice.

dankhank
04-10-2007, 11:17 PM
they said in the story you had to front several thousand dollars online just to get into the game. hopefully the people running it weren't dumb enough to keep that money on site. i mean, what other point would there be to making people buyin early?

TomCowley
04-11-2007, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Glenn Robert Gilberti is... Disco Inferno. Plenty of people have heard of him.

cdlarmore
04-11-2007, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps 2+2 knew about this game and was smart enough not to post about it, which sounds like good advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

cdlarmore
04-11-2007, 02:16 AM
there was a local game in my hometown like this, 7k buying, all night, no limit, 100+ players, all cash, but it was held as a business conference at a rotating set of hotels, and its still running...armed guards, a fake business front...the works, its beautiful

Wahoo73
04-11-2007, 12:30 PM
If you ever followed WCW wrestling, you probably remember Glen Gilberti aka "Disco Inferno." He was among those arrested.

dlk9s
04-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Another Atlanta area poker bust:

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/clayton/stories/2007/04/11/0411metclaygambling.html

Wahoo73
04-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Not only didn't I know about the game in Roswell, I didn't know about the Poker Palace in Jonesboro, GA that was also busted Tuesday night: http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=95209

Ironically, the Poker Palace is located only about five miles from where I live. I suppose it's a good thing I didn't know about this place, otherwise I probably would have been among the arrestees.

dtan05
04-11-2007, 07:34 PM
"Earlier Tuesday, Hill said he was approached by one of the men involved in the gambling operation, who offered the sheriff an envelope filled with $500 as protection money from arrest. Hill said the man, identified by investigators as Norman "Big Cat" Earl, 44, of College Park, told the sheriff he could give him more money. Earl was arrested with the others Tuesday night, sheriff's officials said. He was charged with felony bribery and misdemeanor gambling."

LOL @ 500$ bribe

cdlarmore
04-11-2007, 07:42 PM
what a cheap ass, playing for 10k + and offers a crap bribe in front of several officers for a freggin misdy, get a lawyer moron, and this things going down to a civil infraction

Dignam
04-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Numerous people that have been invited to that game say it's highly doubtful that it was a 10K buy in.

DING-DONG YO
04-12-2007, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Numerous people that have been invited to that game say it's highly doubtful that it was a 10K buy in.

[/ QUOTE ]

so, higher, lower?

thepuckheads
04-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Has anyone heard what happened to the people who ran this game?

I always hear about what happens to the players: Their cars towed, fined etc. But rarely is there a follow-up about the punishment that the runners of the game recieved. Just wondering if anyone knows what happened to or what usually happens to the game's operators.... Do they actually spend time in prison?

Thanks!

Heavens_Myst
05-08-2007, 07:45 PM
hehe, one of the operators of it was a real good gaming friend of mine for the past 8 years, the buyin was indeed 10k

hes facing charges!

dboy23
05-09-2007, 02:16 AM
hate hate hate our retarded laws.

Parlay Slow
05-09-2007, 06:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hehe, one of the operators of it was a real good gaming friend of mine for the past 8 years, the buyin was indeed 10k

hes facing charges!

[/ QUOTE ]

the buy-in was not 10k

it was just a regular 5/10 nl game

don't try to debate me on this