PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in the Lifestyle?

Max Weinberg
02-15-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm sure most of us had grand dreams of becoming astronauts and firemen, but somewhere along the way, we saw how much EV was simply floating around, waiting to be picked up and put into our wallets. Did you make a conscious decision to enter and stay with the lifestyle, or did it sneak up on you and one day you realized, "I'm pretty much stuck in this for the rest of my life"?

I go to class, I semi-study for my midterms, but all the while I'm thinking about +EV bets, be they replaying poker hands in my head, or thinking about arbitrage lines, or what new reload bonus I should unlock next.

How did you realize you were a "degenerate" gambler?

gilbert
02-15-2006, 12:09 PM
most of the time i'm in class i think about poker. not just playing, but everything about it.

it's just the norm for degenerates like us.

Jeffage
02-15-2006, 12:15 PM
Basically, I used to be a pretty big degenerate gambler. Poker, blackjack, craps, sports, you name it. Then one day, driving back from Atlantic City, I said to myself, you need to quit this crap or you need to learn to beat it. So, I decided to throw everything I had into poker - read every book, play tons, post hands, give up table games (for serious money anyway) and just put everything I had into this game.

So, yea, I'm a degenerate. But I've embraced it. I've come to terms with who I am and accept it, though I realize I've sacrificed a great deal to get to the point I have with poker. But I love it...I'm a gambler, it's who I am and I accept that. Sort of.

Jeff

_TKO_
02-15-2006, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
somewhere along the way, we saw how much EV was simply floating around, waiting to be picked up and put into our wallets.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't have to specifically relate to poker. When I first read it, I though of business in general. With two self-employed parents, I've always been at least somewhat aware of business opportunities. Accomplished entrepreneurs see profitability (ie +EV) in hundreds of situations.

Playing poker has merely finetuned this ability. I am able to see through risk much more frequently, categorizing many of my expenses as "investments", whereas the recreational gambler immediately sees these as "losses".

Poker, for me, is just another one of these profitable situations.

raptor517
02-15-2006, 09:29 PM
i dropped out of school over a year ago and am moving into a million dollar house in vegas in 2 weeks. i like the life. holla

surfinillini
02-15-2006, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i dropped out of school over a year ago and am moving into a million dollar house in vegas in 2 weeks. i like the life. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

pay your taxes

(ala clarkmeister)

raptor517
02-15-2006, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pay your taxes

(ala clarkmeister)

[/ QUOTE ]

yea yea ill get an accountant when i move. no state gambling tax in vegas right? ship it. holla

Max Weinberg
02-15-2006, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the lifestyle ain't sounding so bad at this point.

Deamon2
02-15-2006, 11:53 PM
its possible to do both?

I'm in school, am a licensed fireman, and am paying for school with party 3/6 6-max

raptor517
02-16-2006, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
its possible to do both?

I'm in school, am a licensed fireman, and am paying for school with party 3/6 6-max

[/ QUOTE ]

sure its possible. i just dont like school, and im never gonna have a job that requires me to have a college degree. thus.. it was primarily a social experience. i choose to pursue other goals. i can take online classes if i get bored. grats on doing everything though thats very respectable. holla