PDA

View Full Version : <21 years old in US, any chance of being arrested?

coolyank123
04-05-2007, 12:02 AM
I have made about 30k online and will file taxes in a few days, I am 20 years old and in the US and dont have a job, still a student. Should I worry about any legal complications or anything?

ilikeaces86_
04-05-2007, 12:06 AM
lol no you have nothing to worry about. They just want your $. Pay them.

Karak567
04-05-2007, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
lol no you have nothing to worry about. They just want your $. Pay them.

[/ QUOTE ]

PAY THAT MAN HEEZ MONEY!!!

http://www.roundersmovie.com/imgs/rounders56.jpg

cowboy.up
04-05-2007, 01:16 AM
if you're really worried about it, forward the 30k to me, i'll take good care of it and pay the taxes for you. but in all seriousness, you're fine, pay the man, and sleep well at night.

ArtMonkRules
04-05-2007, 01:23 AM
Legal gambling age is a state matter anyway, not the federal government's concern; in some places, you can gamble at 18, some 21, and some not at all.

plasphemy
04-05-2007, 01:26 AM
The IRS is restricted from passing tax information to other authorities. For example... a prostitute could desbribe her profession as "prostitution" and the IRS could not send that info to a police authority. I forget the law where I read this... but it is on the books.

Of course... other authorities can subpeona your tax returns, but it doesn't work the other way.

nineinchal
04-05-2007, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have made about 30k online and will file taxes in a few days, I am 20 years old and in the US and dont have a job, still a student. Should I worry about any legal complications or anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you steal your Dad's credit card to buy into the games?

tx_saluki
04-05-2007, 10:34 AM
The "law" is the 5th amendment which protects us against self incrimination. So a person saying what they do on their tax return is not usable for further investigation.

Anyway, tax evasion is a much stiffer penalty then underage gambling even if there was a federal law that covered underage gambling (which there isn't). So pay your taxes!!!

RoundGuy
04-09-2007, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The IRS is restricted from passing tax information to other authorities.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm quite certain that this is bull [censored].

The Bandit Fish
04-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Just pay the taxes. You're less likely to get in trouble for paying them and claiming gambling winnings at 20 than you might if you didn't pay. All the IRS wants is it's money.

LotteryOrPoker
04-09-2007, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The IRS is restricted from passing tax information to other authorities.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm quite certain that this is bull [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

The US Attorney's offices indict many tax fraud cases. They are constantly working with the IRS. All you have to do is read press releases from any US Attorney's offie to realize this is BS.

This guy should pay his taxes. In many places you can gamble at 18. He will get in a lot more trouble for not paying the IRS than he will for playing poker online.

Ace0fSpades
04-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Figure out what the legal gambling age is for your state. I'm 18, but I'm legally playing online poker.

Skallagrim
04-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Arrgh - what is the state of Modern Education?

If you admit you are engaging in criminal activity the IRS can and will report you.

But have you even read the tax form? There is no requirement that you list your "gambling winnings" with the addition: "from online poker in a state where the minimum gambling age is ___ ." If the IRS audits you ands asks about where you were gambling, you can assert the Fifth Amendemnt and refuse to answer and are entitled to a lawyer (which you will need at that point).

cdlarmore
04-11-2007, 02:19 AM
your odds of getting audited are low, and you can write off all losses and falsify any atm reciept as a loss unless they can prove otherwise, sit steady and youll be ok, they should have larger fish to fry....
on the other hand, with all your schooling deductions, you can claim the entire amount, and still not pay any taxes, i would go for that, the irs wont concern themselves with the legality of your action, only their cut
make sure you deduct all your poker related expenses