PDA

View Full Version : PP Cruise

AJackson
02-15-2006, 12:59 AM
Won the trip through the cabin fever promotion and I had a couple of questions for those who have gone before.

Is there any need to bring anything other than casual cloths?

For me, there is only one flight coming in depature day that gives me time to board. It arrives at 12. This is probably cutting it too close, isn't it? Is there anything going on the night before? I wouldn't mind hanging out with a few 2+2ers if there is something going on.

I know the food and beverages are included. Are the alcholic drinks airport expensive?

Will there be any sit-n-gos for the main event?

Will there be smaller tournaments going on?

Since I'm treating this as a vaction (unless I can win my way into the main tournament) I'd rather not play hold'em. Will there be other games spread? Id like to play a mixed game for moderate stakes with other players interested in drinking and having fun. Will there be games like that going on?

Thanks

Enon
02-15-2006, 06:18 AM
-The cruise has formal dining that you will need formal clothing for.

-Arriving at 12 pm should be fine. Just rechecked partypoker.com and found this:

The ship departs Fort Lauderdale Port at 5:00 pm on Sunday, March 12, 2006. If you are traveling by plane, schedule your arriving Fort Lauderdale flight no later that 2:00 pm on the date of the cruise. Boarding will start at approx. 12:00 pm (noon). No boarding will be allowed after 3:30 pm!

-I don't remember there being any satelites or sit and gos for main event but then again, I wasn't looking for them since I had already won my seat.

-Last year they had numerous smaller tournaments offered. I remember $200 and $500 buy ins.

-If the cardroom is not too busy, they will most likely be able to accomodate a mixed game. I did observe a pretty big mixed game that Eugeneel and Michael Mizrachi played in and heard about a 10/25 2-7 PL or NL game.

You're welcome.

THAY3R
02-15-2006, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-If the cardroom is not too busy, they will most likely be able to accomodate a mixed game. I did observe a pretty big mixed game that Eugeneel and Michael Mizrachi played in and heard about a 10/25 2-7 PL or NL game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh the memories /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Caldarooni
02-15-2006, 11:37 AM
All,

I would also be interested to hear any useful tips/info etc. from those who have been on the cruise before.

Thanks,

Calda

Aceshigh7
02-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Drinks are signed to your room and are quite expensive. My alcohol bill for the trip was 300-400 dollars.

MattSuspect
02-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Enon,

Can I go there with like 10K in hand and just buy in?

Best,
Matthew

Edit: Doesn't cruise leave from Miami?

Caldarooni
02-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Ft. Lauderdale.

MicroBob
02-15-2006, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Enon,

Best,
Matthew

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it.
I think you need to register for it ahead of time.

Regarding formal dining.
They have ONE formal-night in the main-dining room.
you do not have to participate in this.

Also, we got seated with a guy from L.A. who was wearing a white commerce-room wind-breaker and his GF wearing jeans.
We got all dressed up for the formal-night as did most who participated...but the dress-code was not strictly enforced.

Most who didn't want to participate just had their dinner up on the Lido deck.

so formal clothing is not a requirement really.

MicroBob
02-15-2006, 03:43 PM
they definitely spread HOSE as well as omaha (and probably stud...i wasn't really looking). I remember specifically asking what HOSE was.

They had some smaller buy-in tourneys.
Arrive early, they were extremely popular and had some REALLY long lines to sign-up.

More people this year JUST won the cruise package (without the $10k tourney) so I'm guessing that the $500 buy-in and smaller tourneys will be even MORE popular this year for those who have the tourney itch.

Enon
02-15-2006, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Enon,

Best,
Matthew

[/ QUOTE ]

When I still thought my brother was coming with me, I emailed partypoker asking if he could buy in directly just for the tourney and they said it would probably be fine if he brought the $10400 on the boat.

Just email PP asap and confirm this for yourself.

-Lee

Enon
02-15-2006, 04:41 PM
Just to add, the limit cash games were really good and almost always had a good selection of 20/40 and 40/80. I also remember them spreading a 100/200 holdem/omaha8 game and a 100/200 and 200/400 straight holdem.

I primarily played the 40/80 game and luckily had my camera at the table for one of my sessions. This was my favorite photo from cruise:

http://students.washington.edu/goldman/acescracked.JPG

This pic is of my brother playing who he thought was a fish at 200/400 head up that turned out to be one of best holdem players that few know about (Ray D.) Btw, my brother is the infamous Dr_Zoidberg2 from partypoker. He grinds the 1/2 and 50 games lately and about 9 months ago got 3rd, 1st, 1st 3 weeks a row in the sunday special.

http://students.washington.edu/goldman/highstakes.jpg

TheMetetron
02-15-2006, 10:36 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Anyone who spends any substantial time playing poker on this cruise has issues.

I intend to play as little poker as is humanly possible, barring the tournament. It's a vacation for crying out loud.

Edit: Now that said, a juicy $100/200 could lure me away but I still won't be there long.

DeathDonkey
02-16-2006, 03:36 AM
Ray D. is Dreamclown right? Which one is which in that picture?

-DeathDonkey

MattSuspect
02-16-2006, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Enon,

Best,
Matthew

[/ QUOTE ]

When I still thought my brother was coming with me, I emailed partypoker asking if he could buy in directly just for the tourney and they said it would probably be fine if he brought the $10400 on the boat.

-Lee

[/ QUOTE ]

ha. I did. They told me it was $2500 entrance fee. F-It. I'll just shout "GO ENON! at every opportunity."

MattSuspect
02-16-2006, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I intend to play as little poker as is humanly possible, barring the tournament. It's a vacation for crying out loud.

Edit: Now that said, a juicy $100/200 could lure me away but I still won't be there long.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've also said this before... (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4687397&page=0&fpart=1&v c=1)

wezvidz
02-16-2006, 12:56 PM
Now what about those of us who aren't high rollers... I keep hearing about the 20/40+ games going on. What about 3/6? 4/8? 200max NL?

Some of us don't play the bigger games, I'm wondering if I'll be the minority on the boat.

MicroBob
02-16-2006, 05:02 PM
They have a ton of 3/6, 6/12 and 10/20 games going.
Maybe even 2/4 limit.

Pretty sure they have 1/2 and 2/5 no-limit.

I spent my cash-table time on last year's cruise playing 6/12 and 10/20.

Most of the players on the boat were online-qualifiers.
So this tournament actually should have LESS high-stakes action than most major poker tourneys.

If you want to slum it at the low-stakes tables like me it's not a problem at all.

Enon
02-16-2006, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ray D. is Dreamclown right? Which one is which in that picture?

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray D. is on the left and its NOT DreamClown. I think DreamClown is a 21 year old who goes by Ray D. on the NWP messageboard but I'm 100% positive its not the same person. Eugeneel told me the username on NWP was some inside joke.

My brother Matt was playing a 1/2 game and some random guy who hadn't been in the cardroom until that point came over and asked if anyone wanted to play head up 2/4. My brother agreed cause he ran really well in the 1/2 and 2/4 full game the first 2 days and his confidence was high.

It was pretty funny that he camer over to my 40/80 table in the middle of their match breathless with excitement over the fact that he'd found this really fishy player who went lots of bets with king high against my brothers set.

A winning commerce 1/2 player at my table is telling me to warm my brother that hes playing a world class player. My brother lost in that match but still felt he played well. I think that game eventually got 4 handed with 'Little Nickie' and some other random internet player.

Enon
02-16-2006, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Enon,

Best,
Matthew

[/ QUOTE ]

-Lee

[/ QUOTE ]

ha. I did. They told me it was $2500 entrance fee. F-It. I'll just shout "GO ENON! at every opportunity."

[/ QUOTE ]

First time I emailed about it I got a dumb response too but just another email with the first line specifying that you'd like your question refered to someone dealing directly with the cruise.

MicroBob
02-17-2006, 02:20 AM
perhaps vip@party would give a better response.

C/S reps who tell you that the poker tournament costs $2500 should automatically be told that you want to speak with a different customer-service rep who knows what they are talking about regarding the cruise.

TheMetetron
02-17-2006, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've also said this before... (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4687397&page=0&fpart=1&v c=1)

[/ QUOTE ]

Boo. And I've since changed my mind /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DeathDonkey
02-17-2006, 02:51 AM
Thanks, you are right that was where my confusion came from. If only these world class players would wear name tags or something so we don't step on landmines vs. guys I've never seen on tv /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-DeathDonkey