PDA

View Full Version : bet or take free card? (2/4, full)

JojoDiego
01-04-2006, 01:29 AM
Read on UTG: 28/2/1.25, 200 hands

Also, he'd taken some nice beats over roughly an hour and been complaining long and loud in the chat box about his bad luck.

** Dealing cards to Hero: 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG limps
2 folds
Hero limps
4 folds
SB raises
BB folds
UTG calls
Hero calls

** Dealing flop (7 SB): J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB checks
UTG checks
Hero bets
SB calls
UTG raises
Hero reraises
SB folds
UTG calls

** Dealing turn (7 BB): Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG checks

I felt like I was probably behind here, and I didn't feel like a bluff would work here very frequently. Take the free card then, since it's HU? Maybe the question is, how often do I need to be ahead here plus how often does he fold here to make a bet correct?

Jake (The Snake)
01-04-2006, 01:32 AM
I would check.

On this board you have like no fold equity and there is a prett good chance you will be checkraised. We are not ahead often enough to make this a bet for value so take the free card.

Another thing to note is that if you hit on the river, there is a strong chance villain will bet the river, allowing you to raise. So often times, you will get two bets from villain whether you check or bet the turn, whereas you save some bets when you miss by checking.

Sleyde
01-04-2006, 01:35 AM
I'd bet. UTG could have raised the flop with a weak king or a jack and could have made a crying call after the raise only to, when unimproved, check / fold the turn. You also have a gutshot now and I think you have enough fold equity.

BTW I'd raise preflop.

Kwaz
01-04-2006, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would check.

[/ QUOTE ]

shant
01-04-2006, 02:52 AM
Check is good.

TRD23
01-04-2006, 02:56 AM
Anyone else not like the 3 bet on the flop?

I would rather increase my chances of keeping SB in the hand and keeping it 3 way by just calling the raise, rather then 3 bet and face the SB with 2 cold.

Turn is a pretty easy check, your definately behind most of the time here.

restless
01-04-2006, 06:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else not like the 3 bet on the flop?

I would rather increase my chances of keeping SB in the hand and keeping it 3 way by just calling the raise, rather then 3 bet and face the SB with 2 cold.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would rather increase my chances of winning this hand. Although the post is nowhere near huge, it still is a nice one. I'd raise this pretty much every single time. If SB does call it is a value-raise.

I'm happy if I can make SB fold a better Ace + buy a cheaper card with just an extra SB here.

I'd check the turn here too.

freeDegas
01-04-2006, 06:06 AM
With Axs, you usually want a multiway pot, so raising preflop is mostly not the optimal move.

I think, that the Q did not improve your fold equity, rather the other way round. If you run into a checkraise, this is the worst thing, which can happen.

SackUp
01-04-2006, 06:11 AM
3 betting the flop is perfect. You still have lots of equity and you can get a free card. Now you have the free card on the turn, so take it.

TRD23
01-04-2006, 10:04 AM
By 3 betting we increase our chances of losing SB though. Is the possible free card on the turn worth it?

There is no way this hand is not going to showdown so wouldnt we prefer to have two people in to pay off our flush?

car ramrod
01-04-2006, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet. UTG could have raised the flop with a weak king or a jack and could have made a crying call after the raise only to, when unimproved, check / fold the turn. You also have a gutshot now and I think you have enough fold equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you get check raised enough to make betting bad, we are not ahead here like ever.

I don't think we have much fold equity, if any. We raised the flop for our free card, we should take it. I think a turn bet is pretty bad.

WalkAmongUs
01-04-2006, 11:06 AM
check the turn.

while it looks like it worked in this hand, I don't like the flop reraise very much at all. You have a multiway hand and you knock out a player. Also, while you do have equity, you don't have enough to reraise and by knocking out the SB you basically decreased your own implied odds.

with this board, this hand needs a bet and 2 callers and then you raise. reraising the flop is bad news unless you have quite a super read on UTG and know he'll definitely give you a free card. Evern then, you still cut your implied odds by knocking out SB.

gopnik
01-04-2006, 11:41 AM
I think it's an easy check behind. Get your free card. It would suck to get c/r since you have to call. And I don't see him folding

naMruM
01-04-2006, 02:04 PM
I like all streets postflop. I like the flop 3 bet to potentially buy us some A outs and to get the free card, which worked, so we take it.

Loose passive limper early, I think I'd like to get it HU preflop, and would raise.