View Full Version : NL25: top 2 pair get's resistance

whizzle
03-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Villian was usual nl25 calling station @ 60/2/0.7 over 50 hands

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $35.70
UTG+1: $24.55
CO: $27.80
Button: $59.97
Hero: $26.15
BB: $32.30

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG calls, 3 folds, Hero calls, BB checks.

Flop: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($0.75, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $0.75</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: 8/images/graemlins/club.gif ($2.25, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $4</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $9.5</font>, UTG calls.

River: 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($21.25, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $15.65</font>, UTG calls.

Results:
Final pot: $52.55

How is this line? better push the turn? than the river? thoughts? tnx for the replies

Supwithbates
03-29-2007, 11:17 AM
why are you mini-3betting turn? Raise to like 12-14 on turn to charge flush/straight draws
river shove std the pot is too big for pot control

whizzle
03-29-2007, 11:22 AM
yeah but that was my point. But if i raise to 14 i have 10 left so isn't it better to push the turn in this spot against that villian?

ocdscale
03-29-2007, 11:24 AM
The min-raise on the turn given his AF is tricky. Also considering he limped into the flop with a high VP$IP (seems high, is it for 6 handed?), he may have hit two pair on the turn (K8s, Q8s), slow played a weaker flopped 2 pair, or is slowplaying a set of 4s. I think on the very rare occasion he just has AK and puts you on a bluff.
I think you're ahead on the turn more often than you're behind, hard to get away from top 2 pair here. I think because you're left with less than a PSB on the river, pushing the turn can make sense. I may be overvaluing two pair here though.

monkover
03-29-2007, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also considering he limped into the flop with a high VP$IP (seems high, is it for 6 handed?)

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course this is 6 handed!!!
Iīd raise more on the turn a min 3 bet is not a good play. If he semibluff raises his fd you have to raise more... I donīt min sticking it ai on the turn. I in fact prefer it to the line you took...

Supwithbates
03-29-2007, 11:34 AM
meh, if you really think you're ahead, shoving turn is fine too.
My problem in playing against these players is that OOP I try for pot control; the pot isn't OVERLY large yet, and I'm not so sure I'm ahead all the time, so I just call on the turn. This leaves me in a crummy situation on the river, because regardless of what happens I'm out of position; if I bet and he minraises again, folding is nitty, but I've just thrown pot control away. If I bet and he shoves, I can fold pretty quickly. Check/calling is pretty awful too because he's only betting a range that has you beat most of the time. Difficult situation, to be sure. I usually take the bet/call turn, check/call river approach, but I've decided this line has negative expectation, i'm almost never ahead with 2 pair if he bets... bleh

2 pair out of position is really just not that strong a hand, I don't mind bet/call, bet/fold river line. That, or just shoving the turn, although I'm not too fond of this either

fees
03-29-2007, 11:36 AM
Make that sumbitch pay on the turn, river is fine, mb like instead bet 11.11 to [censored] with him?

ama0330
03-29-2007, 11:41 AM
This is standard but I know you lost to 44. Or Q8.

I like your turn bet size because it makes stacks nice for the river push.

whizzle
03-29-2007, 11:45 AM
well the 8 on the river is 1 of the scare cards but i think bet/call, bet/fold is a little bit weak line here

ocdscale
03-29-2007, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also considering he limped into the flop with a high VP$IP (seems high, is it for 6 handed?)

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course this is 6 handed!!!
Iīd raise more on the turn a min 3 bet is not a good play. If he semibluff raises his fd you have to raise more... I donīt min sticking it ai on the turn. I in fact prefer it to the line you took...

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously it's 6 handed. My question is whether his VP$IP is high for 6 handed.
"a high VP$IP (seems high, is it for 6 handed?)"