PDA

View Full Version : $25nl 6 max, Flopped Set in SB vs MP PFR(no reads)

MotTrieuDong
03-28-2007, 06:42 PM
How's my line? I feel if I didn't have the possibility of timing out, I could've c/r the river up to 2.5x more. I put him on Ace-Queen or Ax. No reads on the PFR as he just sat down.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $25
UTG+1: $28.65
CO: $24.30
Button: $24.75
Hero: $32.40
BB: $25

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $0.85</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls, BB folds.

Flop: 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($1.95, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $1</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($3.95, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $2.5</font>, Hero calls.

River: 4/images/graemlins/club.gif ($8.95, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $6</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $12</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Results:
Final pot: $32.95

jkkkk
03-28-2007, 06:59 PM
YUCK

tip: key to playing good poker is to play both your mediocre and strong hands AGGRESSIVELY, obviously exercise more caution with mediocre hands, but this hand should of went

chek, bet, raise, call

bet, call

push, call

Triggerle
03-28-2007, 07:21 PM
I like a turn raise more than a flop raise as you would tip villian to the strength of your hand too early. Otherwise I agree with jkkkkkkk. Try to get in as much as you can.

MotTrieuDong
03-28-2007, 07:44 PM
No Limit is not my best game. I'm still learning.

Here's a more detailed reasoning behind my weird line.

I put him on a medium to strong size hand.

Flop: I flop set, and there's two spades with a Queen. C/C to try to represent a flush draw, hoping he'll jam it on the turn to price me out if he has Ace Queen, where I can possibly check/raise on turn.

Turn: He's still betting. But $2.5 into a $3.9. I nearly timed out, but I tried to still maintain the flush draw. **I probably should've check-raised here**

River: I check, feeling he's still going to bet possibly thinking I might even have a weak kicker. Now he beats $6, with $18 behind. I don't want him to fold, but I want to extract more money. So I quickly min-raised, before I timed out.

MotTrieuDong
03-28-2007, 07:46 PM
I kind of expected you guys to put him on a range of hands in your reply and reasoning. Kind of like my last reply.

RAHZero
03-28-2007, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No Limit is not my best game. I'm still learning.

Here's a more detailed reasoning behind my weird line.

I put him on a medium to strong size hand.
<font color="blue"> Sounds good. </font>

Flop: I flop set, and there's two spades with a Queen. C/C to try to represent a flush draw, hoping he'll jam it on the turn to price me out if he has Ace Queen, where I can possibly check/raise on turn.
<font color="blue"> Terrible. If you put him on a decent hand, you want to bet/raise to extract. Very, VERY few players at NL $25 are going to fold AQ or an overpair on this flop. If he has worse, you're rarely getting paid off any more than a cbet anyway. I love to lead flops like this with sets against PFRs because they'll raise a donk bet so often, and check/raising is also good. Check-calling is gross. Also, if the flush hits on the turn, either villain has pulled ahead or you've lost the chance to get value out of him. </font>

Turn: He's still betting. But $2.5 into a $3.9. I nearly timed out, but I tried to still maintain the flush draw. **I probably should've bet here**
<font color="blue"> FYP. Checking this turn is really, really bad. If he has a draw, he's checking behind and taking a free card. If he has a strong hand, he's not folding to a bet anyway (and very likely raising, which allows you to get it all-in. And yes, if you check here, you absolutely must raise. It gives away the strength of your hand to most observant opponents, but there are very few of those at this limit and a villain firing a second barrel usually means a strong hand. </font>

River: I check, feeling he's still going to bet possibly thinking I might even have a weak kicker. Now he beats $6, with $18 behind. I don't want him to fold, but I want to extract more money. So I quickly min-raised, before I timed out.
<font color="blue"> Again, checking here is horrid. It would be a disaster for him to check behind with a medium strength type hand. Leading also looks a lot like a busted draw, so a 2/3 or 3/4 pot lead will very often be called by medium strength hands and raised by strong hands. After he bets, shoving is without a doubt the only play. Sorry if this post is a little harsh, but you seriously misplayed this hand. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

DerrtySlime
03-28-2007, 08:11 PM
lead that flop,[censored].

chanchuan
03-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Dude, you're playing your set exactly as an average donk at 10NL plays it - call, call, minraise. Sorry, no hard feelings. See you at my tables /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously, play your set as you'd play AQ here, bet the flop, bet the turn, bet the river. You have the best hand - make them pay!

MotTrieuDong
03-28-2007, 08:28 PM
He was only playing one table. He ended up having A4spades

PwnSauce
03-28-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm not sure what inspired you to slowplay here. Slowplaying is seldom correct play.

Flop is drawy, so I definitely don't mind check-raising here because he's not folding to that with top pair or draw.

I might lead turn also for about 2/3. But as played I'd raise turn to make him think you have some sort of draw trying to push him off his hand, he may well shove on you there.

River, click that button that says max and then shove those chips there. You called down twice, so make it look like a busted flush draw or something and get paid.

MotTrieuDong
03-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Thx for the replies because a similiar situation came up. EL OH EL! I hope I didn't butcher this hand?

Hero has $25 and Villan has $22
Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
5 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif
2 folds, Button calls, Hero calls, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $1</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Flop: 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($3, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $2</font>, BB calls, Button folds.

Turn: T/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($7, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero is all-in $22.85</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB calls all-in $19.75</font>.
Uncalled bets: $3.1 returned to Hero.

River: Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($46.5, 0 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $46.5)

Results:
Final pot: $46.5

Vyse
03-28-2007, 09:30 PM
You did.

MotTrieuDong
03-28-2007, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You did.

[/ QUOTE ]

More content?

Vyse
03-28-2007, 09:35 PM
I actually C/R flop here more times than not, but betting's fine.

Turn push is god awful, no idea what you are doing. I bet $5.

spyderracing
03-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Raise flop, Raise turn, River is only street played well

Triggerle
03-29-2007, 04:58 AM
I don't think the second one is as bad as the first one. Getting all money in with a set can't be a big mistake, especially at uNL where they call you with naked flush draws.

You are making it too easy for your opponent though. Getting it all in should generally be your goal with a set but in order to get value from moderately good hands like TPTK you have to use all streets to do so. A big overbet will give these hands a chance to fold, a carefully built pot will make them realise that they are beat when it's too late and they are already pot committed.

Summary: Don't slow play sets. Ever. But don't go crazy pushing sets or you lose all hands that you beat.