PDA

View Full Version : Call or raise stupid minbet?

Stoneflip
03-28-2007, 04:19 AM
No solid reads on villian

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$0.25/$0.50 Blinds
6 Players
Lego Poker Hand Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh/)

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
villian (SB): $28.70
BB: $42.40
<font color="black">Stoneflip (UTG): $72.85</font>
MP: $24.70
CO: $100.10
BTN: $81.10

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> A/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif ($0.75, 6 Players)
Stoneflip raises to $1.75, MP folds, CO folds, BTN folds, villian calls $1.50, BB folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($4, 2 Players)
villian bets $2, Stoneflip calls $2

<font color="black">Turn:</font> 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($8, 2 Players)
villian bets $0.50

Hero??

I am trying to figure out what is more profitable.Call with the excellent flush draw odds or reraise and take the pot right there. Thoughts...

ESKiMO-SiCKNE5S
03-28-2007, 04:20 AM
minraise obv

CanYouDigIt
03-28-2007, 04:24 AM
I like raising here, he is trying to get a cheap card. Id make it $6

tarheeljks
03-28-2007, 04:40 AM
if you rr you afford yourself the opportunity to take this down even if you don't hit the river.

Stoneflip
03-28-2007, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wondering how many times this cheap card he 's looking for is a slightly inferior hand that might pay me off(i.e. K /images/graemlins/spade.gif or Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif), compared to the loss of $6 if he repops the turn. I actually elected to raise this turn, It just left me wondering if I had left profit on the table.

bozzer
03-28-2007, 06:53 AM
yeh i think he is drawing to a worse flush. in that case you might be ahead anyway, so the only disadvantage of calling is that he may pair up on the river. i reckon the small chance of that relative to a potential stacking if the flush comes makes this a call.

Cocopops_X
03-28-2007, 07:00 AM
Why have you posted this thread this is nothing more than an average hand in poker?"?

Zagga
03-28-2007, 07:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why have you posted this thread this is nothing more than an average hand on poker?"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Funnily enough you can win or lose all your money by playing correctly/incorrectly in average hands

Cocopops_X
03-28-2007, 07:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why have you posted this thread this is nothing more than an average hand on poker?"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Funnily enough you can win or lose all your money by playing correctly/incorrectly in average hands

[/ QUOTE ]

Funnily enough good poker players normally make good decsions and therefore do not lose all thier money. which i doubt happens in your case /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

whizzle
03-28-2007, 07:15 AM
as played call the turn bet. The best thing would be that he is drawing to a worse flush (great implied odds) and if he has TP or something he is an idiot and u just lost the minimum.

His minbet could be 2 things. It smells like Please raise me!! I have seen a lot of this play @ nl 25. Or he is drawing. No i would definitaly call here

Jouster777
03-28-2007, 07:16 AM
It a common but marginal situation...making it a good thread for discussion. Since the issues are so elementary to you, why don't you enlighten us?

haz31
03-28-2007, 07:16 AM
consider 3betting preflop.
raise the flop hard.
raise the turn hard.

monkover
03-28-2007, 07:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why have you posted this thread this is nothing more than an average hand in poker?"?

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?! This is a discussion board and everytime you´ve got a question post here and everybody is going to give their best to help... What would u say if u had a problem and and I´d just say this is simple and just won´t give you a reply... If everybody here though like this you wouldn´t get any help b/c all the mods would think:" this hand is simple I can´t learn anything here so I´ll just say: Why have you posted this thread this is nothing more than an average hand in poker?"
Sorry but I don´t think this kind of thinking belongs here... Any anyways like the guy before me said, playing well in these small pots makes you a lot of money in the long run...

Sorry but onto the hand: I think taking down the pot right away is the superior play. As whizzle said you do have good implied odds but the problem here is that he might not even be drawing to a flush... you´ll find that at this level players will makes these bets for whatever reason (maybe they think they´ve go FE? I don´t know...) /images/graemlins/smile.gif
What is your play if you only call and a blank hits on the turn? This is a rr pot (34 BB) Just take it down right away...

eigenvalue
03-28-2007, 08:05 AM
The best way to proceed would have been to reraise the flop. As played, I would call his stupid bet without a read, because some Villains like to do these donkbets as some kind of a trap. If you reraise and he reraises you again, you might not have the pot odds to call. If you hit your flush, you might get some money out of him as well.

munkey
03-28-2007, 08:19 AM
I raise flop, call turn and decide what to do on the river.

why? on flop he may have a fdraw/pp/set/tp/bluffin monon flop - charge him to see a paired/flush board/hit his card.

turn -lets draw cheaply no need to inflate the pot.

river -time to steal, depends on broadway cards as he may call with a TP hand - if I hit an ace/queen -this is the tricky bit IMHO and I'm not sure what I would do - msotly betting/checking behind and mostly folding to a bet with ace high depeding on my feel/reads @ time.

jimpo
03-28-2007, 09:02 AM
The most probable mistake he is making is giving you insane odds to draw if he is ahead. It would be kind of silly to do anything else than call and profit from his mistake. He is a donk based on the turn bet so don't plan on making him fold, never ever.

takingcontrol
03-28-2007, 09:04 AM
I'd re-raise him on the flop, we're not terribly unhappy to take this pot right now. If villian calls chances are we're getting a free card on the turn as he's expecting us to bet his hand for him.
The way he's bet on that turn it strikes me that he's probably already made his flush, even so if we make our
flush on the river he'll probably pay us off if he has a king (which is looking likely since he called our PFR)
I'd take the cheap card and see what comes I have a feeling if we re-raise it might end up being a real expensive to go up against a made hand. we've 5 outs to a good hand and 9 to a hand we're potentially stacking him with. I'd take it easy in your position.

jimpo
03-28-2007, 09:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funnily enough good poker players normally make good decsions and therefore do not lose all thier money. which i doubt happens in your case /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah let's all stop discussing hands in this forum since we are all supposed to be good poker players and make good decsions.

BobAllinSki
03-28-2007, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The question is, what is he trying to get a cheap card with, if its a K/images/graemlins/spade.gif then let him have it.

TheFoxNL
03-28-2007, 09:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The most probable mistake he is making is giving you insane odds to draw if he is ahead. It would be kind of silly to do anything else than call and profit from his mistake. He is a donk based on the turn bet so don't plan on making him fold, never ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
couldnt agree more here

also good reasons to just call here
you still have FE on the river as you can pretend to slowplay the nut flush incase a blank comes

you have insane implied odds incase he was drawing to a worse flush and hits it on the river

imo you can still take the pot on the river
but i agree raising here incase hes not drawing would be a good play aswell

raise = fine
call = could be more profitable

Stoneflip
03-29-2007, 03:13 AM
Thanks for all your responses on this average hand of poker.I think good arguments were made for both calling and repopping this turn. As far as reraising the flop, aren't we vulnerable to a reraise shove or are we calling that?