PDA

View Full Version : $50 FTP- Set vs possible straight... can I raise here?

kurto
03-28-2007, 03:13 AM
Let me start by saying I made the plunge from Full ring to 6 max tonight. If tonight isn't a fluke, consider me a convert. I'm either running real well or the players are much worse then Full Ring. What a great time.

Anyhow... darn it.. the converter is down.
I'll use pokerhand.org (http://www.pokerhand.org/?944588)

Villain is fairly bad lag. My question- does anyone raise that river? On the one hand his bet is so weak. At the same time, there are many straight possibilities.

Thoughts?

inspir3d
03-28-2007, 03:19 AM
just Raise the flop. at least a min raise. u have hit top set start building the pot. u want to get all in. personally i would raise to $10-12. get maximum value against AQ, QK, QJ, 66, 99, 78, 9T. maybe even AK, slowplayed AA, KK. you are giving up too much value here by cold calling.

Raise bigger on the turn . seriously how can u just put in such a small pathetic raise? there are now so many draws out there any 8 will call ur crappy raise. you should raise pot to $20.

as for the river now u have to call because of your crappy (non) raises on the earlier street.

Stoneflip
03-28-2007, 03:22 AM
Call. You can't stand a reraise, but you have showdown value. I agree with above poster about reraising the flop and turn.

kurto
03-28-2007, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
just Raise the flop. at least a min raise. u have hit top set start building the pot. u want to get all in. personally i would raise to $10-12.

Raise bigger on the turn . seriously how can u just put in such a small pathetic raise? there are now so many draws out there any 8 will call ur crappy raise. you should raise pot to $20.

as for the turn now u have to call because of your crappy (non) raises on the earlier street.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost always fastplay sets. My slowplay here was opponent specific. I was genuinely concerned he folds to flop raise. (I really was not prepared for how light people will call you down at 6 max.)

Anyhoo... I agree and raise here 95% of the time.

Ditto with the turn. I've been spoiled by Full tilts bet pot button. I just auto-tripled his bet which in retrospect is light.

So, you don't raise this river? I'm just wondering (and I know this may be player specific) but I hated to just call because his bet is so weak.

Just wondering if a raise fold to push is the right river play? (on reflection, this guy might have called with 2 pair)

kurto
03-28-2007, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Call. You can't stand a reraise, but you have showdown value. I agree with above poster about reraising the flop and turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to elaborate on my question... (1) do you see a lot of people going for the small bet - hope for a reraise so they can push?

That is to say, I understand the concept that I can't call a reraise. I'm just wondering how often I can expect to see a reraise here?

His bet to me felt like a really weak blocking bet. If players aren't sophisticated enough to feign a blocking bet in order to encourage a bluff-raise... then shouldn't I be fairly certain that I likely have the best hand and can raise for value?

(don't get me wrong, if I respect my opponent, I simply call here. Its because I don't respect him that I'm pondering if there isn't a value bet here to be had?)

inspir3d
03-28-2007, 03:42 AM
dude. if you really want to argue about it. i suppose u could put in a reraise on the river.

but why even bother getting to that stage where u are quibbling over like $4-6? how much are u going to reraise anyway that a weaker hand will call?

solve ur problems, just raise the flop and the turn hard.

kurto
03-28-2007, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
dude. if you really want to argue about it. i suppose u could put in a reraise on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to argue. I'm trying to work it out and explore all possibilities. I change my play depending on the opponents and, since I'm just changed to 6 max, I don't know how the players play here. If people's experience was that players are poor enough to call with hands I beat then that will help me in the future.

[ QUOTE ]
4-6? how much are u going to reraise anyway that a weaker hand will call?

solve ur problems, just raise the flop and the turn hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree that I could and should have played this hand faster. This was early enough that I didn't realize how light people will call you down.

Based on just tonights experience, I can picture some of the calling stations/laggy people calling another 20bb with 2 pair here.

I just find the 'question' of the river raise to be the most interesting part of the hand (even if I underplayed the flop and turn). It seems to me the worse a player is (closer to a calling station) the more one SHOULD value bet the river here. I simply don't have the experience at these tables to know if this has any merit.

inspir3d
03-28-2007, 04:02 AM
okay. i think at this level (NL50 6max) there's no need to get tricky. save that for the higher limits

Steam Iron
03-28-2007, 04:21 AM
I agree with above. Raise flop, bomb turn.

tarheeljks
03-28-2007, 04:56 AM
as is you definitely have to call the river. raising the flop is ideal against other competent players, but if you think this guy is bad then a slowplay is in order.