PDA

View Full Version : Controlling The Pot

TrainHardDieHard
03-27-2007, 08:50 PM
One problem i often run into is building a big pot on the flop after i raise preflop and then flopping a strong hand, like top pair, only to see me make a decision for all my chips by the river.

When should players control the pot size by checking ? If they have top pair + weak kicker ?

Do players still try to control pot size by checking if the board is draw-heavy ?

DannyOcean_
03-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Here's a line I like to use a lot. Regulars or whoever please correct me if wrong

I have AJ on the button, 2 limpers. I raise, and get one limper calling.

Flop is A83 rainbow. I PSB here or maybe 4/5PSB, just a style thing.

Turn is 6. It's very unlikely that he has a draw at this point. He called a pf raise, and the only draws are 79, 57, 24, etc., and he had to call a PSB. Maybe the turn makes a 4-flush possible, but it is still WAYYYY unlikely that he is drawing here. Most likely he has an ace or stronger. I check behind here, bc his range that c/c flop, c/c turn is beating us. Villians will play passive with AK, with 2pair, with a set, and I do not want to build a huge pot with AJ. I check.

River is blank, and I will bet or call a decent bet from villian. Often you will entice a bluff or a poor value bet from a villian who assumes you must have nothing. Often he will check and look you up light bc he doesnt believe you have a strong ace.

In conclusion, checking the turn is one of my lines on a drawless board. Villian will only call the turn with a range that beats us, but by checking behind we get all sorts of extra action from 2nd pair, weak A, etc.

DannyOcean_
03-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Anybody else think this is solid?

Also, OP, on a drawy board you want to continue to bet on the turn with an AJ/AQ style hand (assuming the draw scare card didn't hit) bc you cannot allow villian to see a free card. Charge those flush chasers.

Lego05
03-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Yea that seems like a pretty solid generic line to me in a lot of situations and it's something I do a lot. But know your opponent and sometimes especially on drawy board be betting the turn and checking behind on the river.

I think my turn aggression factor is too low though.