PDA

View Full Version : NL50 - AA in position on monotone flop

Dr_Doctr
03-26-2007, 10:13 PM
This hand came up about half an hour ago. I think I made a very bad play and was kicking myself afterwards. I think I know what the right play would have been. Anyway, let me know what you think of this and what I propose I should have done differently.

6-max table - Both Villian and I are deep > $90. I have a LAG image and have just stacked someone. I'm on the button and pick up A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A /images/graemlins/spade.gif,. Villian is more or less unknown but seems aggressive postflop - possibly decent, possibly reckless.

Villian is cutoff and raises to $2. Hero raises to $5. All fold. Villian calls.

Flop

J /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

Villian checks, Hero bets $6.

Now this is a really bad bet I think. At the time I was trying to make it look to villian that I wanted to look weak and was hoping he would raise so I could come over the top or trap with the goods. He had just seen me do this (if he was paying attention) with a set on the turn when I made a similar sized bet into a preflop raiser and flop bettor from out of position with a set.

Here is why, in hindsight, I hate this play, and why I think checking behind is the way to go. I open myself up to a check-raise that I can't call. I have position and checking allows me to use it to full advantage. Checking gives away no information whatsoever and Villian has to be worried that I am sitting there with the nuts trying to trap. Checking allows me to control the pot size. Checking allows me to see another card which is unlikely to improve Villian if he is behind but which will define my hand much better. If Villian bets the turn, I can flat-call which will look very scary and possibly get a free showdown with a hand I really want to see a cheap showdown with.

Anyway, what happened was Villian check-raised to $16 or so and I mucked, disgusted with my play.

Machavelli
03-26-2007, 10:31 PM
A few things:

1 - You need to raise more when reraising. Pre-flop should be 7 or 8. You have a lag image at the table so you can get away with betting more in these spots. Just keep it consistent regardless of whether your betting AA or 78s.

2- Checking behind on this flop is not a good idea, IMO. If you had the A of hearts that would be great at least 9 cards in the deck kill our action. Pot this flop and go from there.

If villain calls the flop and non heart card hits I might be willing to fire again depending on read.

Dr_Doctr
03-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the advice. I hadn't considered potting it but it seems a much better idea than my bet - I might have got check-raise bluffed or semi-bluffed out of this pot, which would have taken more guts had I potted it. Good read and play by Villian though if he had nothing. I was considering raising more preflop but didn't want a fold. I don't really know how to properly adjust my pre-flop three-bets to stack-sizes either - if anyone knows of information on this please let me know. Why do you think checking behind here is a bad idea?

Machavelli
03-26-2007, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think checking behind here is a bad idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if any heart hits the turn we are done. He is either A.) Not calling a bet w/o a heart
B.) Has one and will stay along for the ride (aka take your money)

In this situation against an unkown you might as well bet and try to take it down now while we have both more FE and a better hand relative to the board.