PDA

View Full Version : NL50 - AK preflop shove?

theonlycheese
03-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Need a converter for FT

Villan is 32/16/12 .. no other reads

With those stats, who pushes?

Full Tilt Poker Game #2074172890: Table Ontario (6 max) - $0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em - 14:01:51 ET - 2007/03/26
Seat 1: frandan ($41.70)
Seat 2: AurzaV ($82.55)
Seat 3: Hero ($55.90)
Seat 4: MidgetB ($83.95)
Seat 5: DirTy_ItaLiaN ($220.15)
Seat 6: werall1 ($50.75)
DirTy_ItaLiaN posts the small blind of $0.25
werall1 posts the big blind of $0.50
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Ks Ac]
frandan folds
AurzaV raises to $2
Hero raises to $6.75
MidgetB has 15 seconds left to act
MidgetB raises to $20
DirTy_ItaLiaN folds
werall1 folds
AurzaV folds
Hero has 15 seconds left to act

catfish_01
03-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Very very tricky without knowing his 3-betting range; but a push has its merits because:

-You may have fold equity
-He may call with a PP which you coin flip against (dead money in pot subsidizing you

The average LAG may even have 3-betting hands that you dominate to balance the chances of the opp having hands that dominate you (KK, AA).

Machavelli
03-26-2007, 02:17 PM
I push this sometimes. From my experience he shows up with AQ
or AJ about as often as AA or KK and the rest fall into pockets Q and lower. I think in the long run its probably really EV neutral or very close to it.

chanchuan
03-26-2007, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Need a converter for FT

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.legopoker.com/hh/
I have yet to find a better converter (now cuter and more functional with beta 1.2)

DexterJoe
03-26-2007, 02:23 PM
What is YOUR image? Are you folding to this type of raise in the past?

I hate this type of hand - I would put him on a big pair, so at best you'd be even, worst a ways behind - right?

Maybe a dumb question - why not call? (I'm new at this so cut me some slack if it really is a dumb question...)

DexterJoe
03-26-2007, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Need a converter for FT

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.legopoker.com/hh/
I have yet to find a better converter (now cuter and more functional with beta 1.2)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the hand converter post - been looking for one for awhile that does FT...

Machavelli
03-26-2007, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-You may have fold equity

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero has very little FE here. Villain just RR 25% of his stack and would only cost him another 29 to call getting 2:1 on his money. Little or no FE in this spot.

catfish_01
03-26-2007, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero has very little FE here. Villain just RR 25% of his stack and would only cost him another 29 to call getting 2:1 on his money. Little or no FE in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I see. My intuition would say that without FE this is probably on the -EV side in the long run; but you have experienced enough players who do 3-bet and call a push with a dominated Ace to make up for those who make this move with KK or AA?

boycalledroy
03-26-2007, 02:41 PM
I push, this guy is looser than me and AQ is in my 3betting range if I feel inclined. I see AQ a lot here.

Machavelli
03-26-2007, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I push, this guy is looser than me and AQ is in my 3betting range if I feel inclined. I see AQ a lot here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think you see AQ enough to make up for AA and KK plus the slight EV adv. of a pocket pair?

tiger_hall
03-26-2007, 03:03 PM
i cant see them having anything worse than a high pocket pair like 10 10 or JJ or AK AQ so i wud put u in a 50/50 more than often... all depends if you are willing to gamble...in my opinion more than often it is a high pocket pair... unless he is a massive donk then A10 is known to be shown here.... if in the mood to gamble then push depends how ur luck has been going!

AliasMrJones
03-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Both this dude and original raiser have >$80. His raise is after a raise and a re-raise. I assume your image is TAG. I think you see AQ here almost never. I fold.

tiger_hall
03-26-2007, 03:16 PM
this is 50nl.. i have seen idiots make the same play with J6.. u have AK. he is making the same raise with 99 to protect his hand against two over cards.. in my opinion u push and hope u havnt got unlucky and he shows u KK or AA

AliasMrJones
03-26-2007, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is 50nl.. i have seen idiots make the same play with J6.. u have AK. he is making the same raise with 99 to protect his hand against two over cards.. in my opinion u push and hope u havnt got unlucky and he shows u KK or AA

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be playing on a different site than me. At Stars, you will see some wacky 2 cards every once in a blue moon, but not enough to make up for all the times this is AA/KK.

tiger_hall
03-26-2007, 03:46 PM
i play FTP.. it is very possible for them to have AA KK i am not denying that... it just depends how much of a gambler you are... some days i shove other days i muck.. if conservative i fold...

catfish_01
03-26-2007, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i play FTP.. it is very possible for them to have AA KK i am not denying that... it just depends how much of a gambler you are... some days i shove other days i muck.. if conservative i fold...

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't sound like expert or even professional reasoning. If, after considering an opp's three-betting range in each given situation, you feel that a shove is neutral, it might make sense to not care whether you push or fold. But to say you push or fold depending on how you feel for the day is... not very convincing (to me.)

tiger_hall
03-26-2007, 04:07 PM
i take each opponent on there own merit but this is micro stakes and players live up to the name... where i say depends on how i feel on that day i am implying the table if they have been aggressive or conservative... not merely on what i had for dinner.. should have made that clearer!!!

Tawbor
03-26-2007, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Both this dude and original raiser have >$80. His raise is after a raise and a re-raise. I assume your image is TAG. I think you see AQ here almost never. I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a 4-bet by villain with no fold equity, semi deep stacked. Listen to Mr. Jones

SCBielski
03-26-2007, 06:06 PM
I'd fold. If you have no real read on someone's 3bet range at $50NL, you can assume it's TT+ and maybe AK, particularly from a villain that is running 32/16/12. Given this, a shove here will only get a call from QQ+ and all other hands are a coin flip, assuming he calls with QQ or worse. I understand a shove takes down the pot some of the time, but I'm just not sure this is the right spot.