PDA

View Full Version : 6-max starting hands

Inevitable
09-28-2005, 10:45 PM
Anyone have a link to some good ones? I feel like I should loosen my standards from full ring, but I'm not sure HOW loose.

Steve Chase
09-30-2005, 04:25 PM
I like to know it too.
Any advise form 6 max players?
Should I play Ax hands?
Should I raise with 66--99?

orange
09-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Fim wrote a guide a while back, you'd have to search for it.

But general guidelines aren't really existent- like much of poker, 'it depends' waaaaaaay too often. Table texture, how many opponents, type of opponents, etc.

Just try to raise/limp in position and be significantly more aggressive than at 10 full.

Isura
09-30-2005, 07:21 PM
Good points. But for a new player (especially to 6-max), I think playing too many hands will lead to a lot of headaches. I've only been playing NL for about 1 month, and I think loooseness is hurting my game (I'm about 32/16 at 6-max). I feel like I'm losing too much in those hands in the range 20-30%, and losing money with hands in the range 10-20% in early positions. I'm trying to figure out how to tighten up, but I just can't seem to bring the vpip and pfr down (I play like 42% of hands on the button /images/graemlins/shocked.gif).

TomBrooks
02-08-2006, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(I'm about 32/16 at 6-max). I feel like I'm losing too much in those hands in the range 20-30%, and losing money with hands in the range 10-20% in early positions. I'm trying to figure out how to tighten up, but I just can't seem to bring the vpip and pfr down (I play like 42% of hands on the button /images/graemlins/shocked.gif).

[/ QUOTE ]
I am interested in trying some SH NL.

= I have been playing Limit small stakes 6max at around 28 VPIP. Is this about right for SH No Limit, or should I be getting tighter or looser.

= In SH Limit, my PFR is about 16. Standard doctrine is to rarely if ever openlimp. Is this also true for SH NL?

Isura
02-08-2006, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(I'm about 32/16 at 6-max). I feel like I'm losing too much in those hands in the range 20-30%, and losing money with hands in the range 10-20% in early positions. I'm trying to figure out how to tighten up, but I just can't seem to bring the vpip and pfr down (I play like 42% of hands on the button /images/graemlins/shocked.gif).

[/ QUOTE ]
I am interested in trying some SH NL.

= I have been playing Limit small stakes 6max at around 28 VPIP. Is this about right for SH No Limit, or should I be getting tighter or looser.

= In SH Limit, my PFR is about 16. Standard doctrine is to rarely if ever openlimp. Is this also true for SH NL?

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop strategy is much different in 100bb stack NL vs SH limit because hand values are normalized. Position in NL is much more important, and so position is a big factor is accessing the playability of a certain hand. Quoting Fimbulwinter: "AA UTG is a decent hand, 54s on the button can be a monster". Also, big cards are not as good in NL. Hands like A8o which make good money in limit just aren't going to win big pots and bust people. But suited and connected cards go up in value because of the big hand potential. Also, all pocket pairs go up in value (this is offcourse also true in SH limit), and big pocket pairs (AA-QQ) are huge hands at 6-handed table.