PDA

View Full Version : NL25 - Slowplay on this board?

DannyOcean_
03-25-2007, 05:51 PM
This is a hand from last night, and also a general question.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($15.65)
MP ($11.20)
Button ($22.90)
SB ($24.75)
Hero ($26.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.75.

Flop: ($3.10) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $1.75</font>, Hero calls $1.75, UTG calls $1.75.

Turn: ($8.35) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, Button checks.

River: ($8.35) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $12.9 (All-In)</font>, Button folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $21.25

I don't like to slowplay much ever, but if I flop a boat or quads, I will slowplay. Villian has shown aggression, are the flop and turn checks appropriate? River is BARF and a fold.

Is it good strat. to slowplay flopped houses and quads, or should we just raise raise raise? Does anyone regularly slowplay anything else? I generally hate slowplays except in these rare situations.

Danny

Stake Monster
03-25-2007, 05:55 PM
I think you should lead on the turn and river there. He could easily have nothing there. I would probably raise the flop as well. I hate slowplaying, especially on a paired board like that.

DannyOcean_
03-25-2007, 06:00 PM
I think checking the flop is almost always correct here. He has shown pf aggression, and we are scared of exactly 2 turn cards, and if he has an 8, only 1 card scares us. Because nothing at all scares us and he is likely to bet, i am fairly confident we should check the flop.

Questions:

Should we raise his flop bet?
Should we bet out on the turn?

danjohncochane
03-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Always always lead that flop IMO. You want to build a big pot with this hand. Your hoping someone has the 8 or an overpair or f/d Thats the only way your gonna win alot of money. Make them pay.
If checked flop however you need to lead the turn 2 at least get some value from your hand.

03-25-2007, 06:04 PM
You have to build the pot. Can`t always asume he has AK and you want to induce a bluff from him. I would have reraised the flop, lead the turn and fold the river. Also, if you raise flop, villain might think he induced the reraise due to showing weakness by making such a small bet on the flop.

CaucasianAsian29
03-25-2007, 06:10 PM
bet hard flop and turn

03-25-2007, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bet hard every street.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. If hero reraises flop, and bets hard on the turn and villain calls on both streets, then he has to assume villain holding an 8. So I give up on river.

remarks: oops, allready fixed

Brian O'Nolan
03-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Checking the flop isn't horrible, but given the weak flop action you want to lead the turn. I'd be a little more likely to slowplay an overfull than an underfull here- the closer your hand is to the nuts the more inclined you should be to slowplay it (but still not very inclined). Also, the fact that UTG raised pf is not enough info to justify a slowplay here... you need to have an idea of how he c-bets and his general aggression etc., vs. unknown you should lead the flop.

03-25-2007, 06:31 PM
The only way we get paid of nice if we build the pot.

hero flatcalls flop (any thinking player would be suspicious here) - thinking villain checks river for pot control with an overpair - hero bets ...

hero flatcalls flop - villain leads turn with an 8 - hero checkraises...

hero reraises flop - villain calls with an overpair and checks turn - hero bets turn

hero reraises flop - villain leads turn with an 8 - hero checkraises ... (best imo)

if villain didn`t hit the board we are not getting paid of anyways, so I like building the pot right away.

Machavelli
03-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Checking this flop is fine. I think when you have a bet and a call you can safely put out a small raise and expect a call.

On this turn you need to put out a bet. Slow playing is fine but you can let it go that far. Time to get some money in. I'd bet somewhat light (5.5) trying to get the potential FD to come along for the ride.