PDA

View Full Version : Fishy river bluff??

TimmY222
03-25-2007, 01:11 PM
I have a note on the player as very aggressive post flop, and i think tends to overplay his hands. I put him on a big hand, as his preflop aggression is not very high. I had postion on him and my thinking is that i could stack him with the right board. i choosed not to make a play on the flop as i had him on a big hand, top pair-top kicker. but then i was cunfused by his turn check, it looked kind of weak to me but I didnt want to make move there. i took the free card. but when he checked on the river i saw that as very weak, maybe AceX or a underpair to the ace. I had made a overbet of the pot with the nuts on the same table a few minutes earlier and got called, so i was trying to make a similar bet here, representing 3 jacks or a full house maybe. as he had seen me make a same size bet with the nuts.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($50.75)
UTG ($63.95)
MP ($13.15)
Button ($8.90)
SB ($25.10)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls $0.25, MP calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $1.5</font>, Hero calls $1.25, UTG folds, MP folds.

Flop: ($3.50) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $2.75</font>, Hero calls $2.75.

Turn: ($9) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($9) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9.25</font>, SB calls $9.25.

Final Pot: $27.50

Is my play here transparent?
How would you play the hand?

Machavelli
03-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Pre-flop is questionable but forgoing that -

RAISE THE FLOP! Raise it up big for 2 reasons:
1.) You have a decent amount of fold equity
2.) Even if villain is playing AK your a slight favorite.

As played I'm going to check behind that river. The Turn makes any two broadway cards good. If you are going to bluff it bet less. I think a $6 bet accomplishes the same thing.

Lemniscate
03-25-2007, 01:38 PM
I'd fold pre-flop. You're out of position.

TimmY222
03-25-2007, 01:49 PM
I know it is a loose call preflop, and i agree it's probobly a mistake. I did not think i had any fold equity on the flop, couse in my mind there was no way that he had a hand he was not comitted to on the flop. but i sensed weakness by him checking the turn and the river. a $6 bet maybe does the same thing, but i refered to the hand where i overbet with the nuts, and that is the only time he had seen me make a overbet. So i thaught he might fold a big hand.

Thanks for your advice.

BTW. HERO is in the big blind, Villain small blind.
So im not out of position

Lemniscate
03-25-2007, 01:52 PM
omg. sorry, I missed that.

creamfillin
03-25-2007, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

2.) Even if villain is playing AK your a slight favorite[/b]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not true, you're a slight dog.

Paul Thomson
03-25-2007, 02:11 PM
preflop is a fold because of poor relative position since the limpers will likely call.

flop: i like a call on the flop wiht the intention of pushing over a bet on the turn. since he checked the turn...checking behind is better becuase you don't want to get check-raised off your big draw.

river: check behind. there's no point in betting.

Machavelli
03-25-2007, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

2.) Even if villain is playing AK your a slight favorite[/b]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not true, you're a slight dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain's AK does not include K of clubs hero is 51%.

tiger_hall
03-25-2007, 02:22 PM
on the river you are either hoping he calls or hoping he doesnt!! if he calls you are beat as you have bottom pair... shoving you are trying to knock him off his hand.. it looks like you are stealing with the check on the turn shows weakness and drawing.. it looks like you missed your flush so he is calling with any 10 j or ace.. well i wud be..

avfletch
03-25-2007, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
preflop is a fold because of poor relative position since the limpers will likely call.

flop: i like a call on the flop wiht the intention of pushing over a bet on the turn. since he checked the turn...checking behind is better becuase you don't want to get check-raised off your big draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand your reasoning here. Hopefully if I explain mine you can point out where it's flawed.

He raised 2 limpers out of the SB so he's almost certainly got a big hand.

Unless he has AA/JJ then we have really good equity vs a call and fold out a lot of hands when we raise the flop. If he pushes we're probably 2:1 dog but getting decent value on a call.

I don't see villains firing again on the turn without at least AK, so a push here has little fold equity whereas betting when checked to folds out other big pairs that we're currently reasonably far behind now we're down to one card to come.

TimmY222
03-25-2007, 02:31 PM
I 'knew' the limpers were going to fold, they had been calling the big blind every hand allmost, and fold everytime someone raised. so in my mind they were allready out of the hand.
I thaught about raising the turn if he'd bet under pot size. or fold if he'd bet strong. When he checked i didnt know what that meant, and as said, i didnt want to be check-raised of my draw.
then he checked the river and i thought he was scared and i had a good chance to take it down

Do you think his turn check is correct? he is giving me a free card, but at the same time controlling pot size and getting me to bluff my busted draw.

Paul Thomson
03-25-2007, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand your reasoning here. Hopefully if I explain mine you can point out where it's flawed.

He raised 2 limpers out of the SB so he's almost certainly got a big hand.

Unless he has AA/JJ then we have really good equity vs a call and fold out a lot of hands when we raise the flop. If he pushes we're probably 2:1 dog but getting decent value on a call.

I don't see villains firing again on the turn without at least AK, so a push here has little fold equity whereas betting when checked to folds out other big pairs that we're currently reasonably far behind now we're down to one card to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

your preflop range for villain as being a bigger hand is a good point. What do you think his hand range is preflop?

There are 2 reasons I like a call on the flop:
1) stack sizes. We want to be putting in the last raise on the flop for maximum FE. If we raise and Villain pushes , this isn't ideal.

Similarly, if we raise and Villain calls the flop. Stack sizes are awkward on the turn and river.

Lastly, if we call on the flop. Stack sizes are good for a push over villain on the turn.

2) We have quite a few disguised outs. so we'll still get paid off when those outs hit.