PDA

View Full Version : What to do in a spot like this...99

ducklover
03-24-2007, 11:41 PM
I'll post the hand first, then go over my thoughts.

Full Tilt Poker Game #2059762144: Table Aristotle - $0.10/$0.25 - No Limit Hold'em - 14:43:09 ET - 2007/03/24
Seat 1: buttwhistle ($7.60)
Seat 2: baasje1 ($2.45)
Seat 3: KyleBenson ($15.45)
Seat 4: ZMalmgren ($31.75)
Seat 5: BigBadWill ($42.70)
Seat 6: LouDog501 ($21.75)
Seat 7: VeeliX ($23.65)
Seat 8: jspring ($11.40)
Seat 9: beersnob2323 ($7.35), is sitting out
KyleBenson posts the small blind of $0.10
ZMalmgren posts the big blind of $0.25
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to jspring [9s 9c]
BigBadWill folds
LouDog501 calls $0.25
VeeliX folds
jspring raises to $0.70
buttwhistle raises to $2.25
baasje1 adds $10
baasje1 folds
KyleBenson folds
ZMalmgren folds
LouDog501 folds
jspring calls $1.55
*** FLOP *** [6h 7s 2s]
jspring checks
buttwhistle bets $5.35, and is all in
jspring calls $5.35
buttwhistle shows [Jh Jd]
jspring shows [9s 9c]
*** TURN *** [6h 7s 2s] [7h]
*** RIVER *** [6h 7s 2s 7h] [Qd]
buttwhistle shows two pair, Jacks and Sevens
jspring shows two pair, Nines and Sevens
buttwhistle wins the pot ($15.05) with two pair, Jacks and Sevens
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $15.80 | Rake $0.75
Board: [6h 7s 2s 7h Qd]
Seat 1: buttwhistle showed [Jh Jd] and won ($15.05) with two pair, Jacks and Sevens
Seat 2: baasje1 (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 3: KyleBenson (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 4: ZMalmgren (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 5: BigBadWill didn't bet (folded)
Seat 6: LouDog501 folded before the Flop
Seat 7: VeeliX didn't bet (folded)
Seat 8: jspring showed [9s 9c] and lost with two pair, Nines and Sevens
Seat 9: beersnob2323 is sitting out

I didn't have much information on buttwhistle other than he was playing 4 tables. From this alone I put him on a higher pair, or AK at worst. I called hoping to hit a 9, but then made a dumb call when it came low. I know that I played the hand poorly, but I just want to know what I could have done.

Option 1: I could have limp called his raise. I bet out on the flop and fold to a raise. If he flat calls on the flop, then I think I'm losing all my money if it's another non spade low.

Option 2: I raise and fold to his raise. With such a low stack do I even have enough behind me to make set mining profitable? I think this is very weak, but with my stack I think that this is the best option.

I believe that these are the only two realistic options, but both seem very weak tight. With a stack this low do I have any other options here? Again I'm not asking about help on how I played the above hand, I know the flop call was awful. I'm only asking how I could avoid getting in this situation, and what I do next time it comes up.

Machavelli
03-24-2007, 11:44 PM
use a converter.

Doug Funnie II
03-25-2007, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
use a converter.

[/ QUOTE ]
ya for real

At these stakes stacking off with an overpair is a small leak at worst. Start folding preflop to his reraise more even when you think you may be priced in if the opponent is good. That said I think the range you have him assigned to is much too tight and I really don't mind how this hand went down at all.

AsydRayne
03-25-2007, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...I called hoping to hit a 9...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a mistake. If you feel pretty confident he has an overpair here you should fold. And he will probably have an overpair most of the time. A reraise at these stakes usually is an AK at worst, unless you are playing a very agressive player who raises a lot preflop (more than 15%).

You should use the 5/10 rule: you can call 5% of your effective stack trying to hit a set or up to 10% if you are sure you can stack your opponent. Remember though, that your effective stack is limited by his stack. People often forget that playing against aggressive short stacks can put you in situations where you have to fold a pretty good hand.

As a side note, your initial raise is very small. A standard raise should be $1 here.