PDA

View Full Version : Blocking bet goes awry after I nearly get stacked on the previous hand

DawnToDusk
03-24-2007, 06:18 PM
So the vill in question is 25.5/12/1.25 after 50ish hands. This was the hand right after where we both made 2pair on the turn (I made bottom two) and donked bet him on the river. I donked him as I was fairly sure that I could have second best hand but if I checked I was going to face a big bet on the river.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
5 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $24.85
CO: $37.85
Button: $22.50
SB: $29.30
Hero: $34.55

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $0.75</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($2.35, 3 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $0.5</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Turn: K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($3.35, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $2</font>, CO calls.

River: 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($7.35, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $6</font>, Hero folds.

Its $4 more into a nearly $16 pot. I didn't exactly want to see a big bet come out so I made a little blocking bet. I don't know what exactly he interprets it as but I don't know exactly what to put him on? It looks like a fold to me. Pretty standard given what happened last hand? Don't even make a blocking bet next time in a similar situation? Just go check-fold?

matrix
03-24-2007, 07:39 PM
last hand you donk bet into him and he... ?? raised and you called - smooth called your bet???

If he raised and you called I call here.

Your river bet makes no sense and looks like a blocker - if villain has 25/12 ish stats he probably knows a block bet when he sees one and thus raised you.

If you are going to block here make it 1/2 pot or slightly more than half.

Leave the donk bets to the donks. (unless you have the goods and WANT a raise)

Stake Monster
03-24-2007, 07:55 PM
hmm next time raise that weak bet on the flop and you'll know much better where you stand.

carnivalhobo
03-24-2007, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hmm next time raise that weak bet on the flop and you'll know much better where you stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you want to know so badly?

what information does it give you if villain makes a pot sized 3bet?

Stake Monster
03-24-2007, 08:04 PM
You'll likely get a weaker ace/pair of kings to fold, and there's also a spade draw. If you raise that bet more and they call you can narrow down their hands much better.

If I have a pair of kings there holding say K8, I'm definitely going to call that small bet and try to improve on the turn, but I wouldn't continue if someone raised it.

The way he played it he set himself up for what happened.

ciki57
03-24-2007, 08:35 PM
1) I would check river hoping to induce a bluff from busted spade draw and call (unless he makes a really big bet)

2) The way you played I would CALL the river raise. Yes he can have a king but are you sure youre not good here 20% of time.
I don't know how people can fold decent hands to such small raises. Especially considering your weak bet may have induced a bluff.

matrix
03-24-2007, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You'll likely get a weaker ace/pair of kings to fold

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif - why oh why oh why do you want to try to get a weaker Ace or a pair of Kings to fold???????????

crushednuts
03-24-2007, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif - why oh why oh why do you want to try to get a weaker Ace or a pair of Kings to fold???????????

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a problem many players have. They are so afraid that someone is going to suck out on them, they want to fold out the worse hands. NEVER EVER EVER make a bet that will fold out all the hands you beat and get called by those that beat you. I think here, you should make a bet that doesn't give drawing hands (like the flush draw) the odds to continue. Such a bet will, inherently, deny a worse ace the odds to continue. Thus, you should think of it more as raising a blocker bet to deny flush draws the right odds. You should not be trying to fold out a worse ace. Such a raise has the alternative benefit of make the opponent define is hand and will give you a better idea as to whether or not you are beat.

Thus, I think a raise on the flop is a good thing, but, as played, a turn C/R gets the most value out of hands that you DO beat, while a bet only puts you in a tough position in which you will lose the maximum if he beats you, but not gain the maximum if you beat him. Avoid these sorts of bets on the turn as they only lead to nasty things..

If he checks behind on the turn then you know your hand is good as any better hand would bet on the turn to deny you odds if YOU have the flush draw as you just called his flop bet.

Machavelli
03-24-2007, 11:11 PM
I raise the flop here. Pot it and see where your at.

Turn is fine but if we had raised the flop and he called we'd have a better idea that he doesn't have a K.

If your going to block the river you need to bet more than $2. That bet screams weak after a solid 2/3 pot bet on the turn. Blocking bet here should be $3.50 IMO.

I think I'd prefer a c/c or c/f depending on the size of the bet.

allaboutmyfetti
03-24-2007, 11:18 PM
everything is fine except for the river bet. i think you should check the river for the same reasonsn you checked the flop (which applies even moreso now that the K has paired)