PDA

View Full Version : A5 yields 2 pair , but he's betting large

bober2
03-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Did I bet correctly?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($4.13)
MP ($2.98)
CO ($10.14)
Button ($2.80)
Hero ($22.70)
BB ($3.04)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $0.15</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.13, BB calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.45) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.45</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $1.15</font>, Hero calls $0.70.

Turn: ($2.75) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $5.2</font>, Hero calls $3.20.

River: ($13.15) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: $13.15

kewl_cph
03-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Fold preflop.

I don't like your flop play if your plan isn't to fold to a raise.

On the turn you spike your kicker, but you could still easily be beat.

I think you're good on the river sometimes, when he checks behind. He could have AK or maybe smaller two pair like QJ, but he could easily check a much better hand behind because
of the somewhat scary board.

IHMO you messed up every street, maybe except the river.

Frosteater
03-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Definitely fold preflop, I second that. Playing crap from the SB isn't necessarily that bad, if you can get away from marginal hands, but you're out of position and your hand is so completely dominated, it isn't even funny. Don't complete with it and especially don't play it against a raise.

On the flop fold to the raise. You have top pair and more or less no kicker, fine if you want to take a stab at it, but if your pot-sized bet gets raised - and not even a minraise - which hands do you expect to beat?

Same logic on the turn. You have two pair now, but it doesn't change much to be honest. You're ahead of AK and QJ now, but AQ, AJ, KT, QQ and JJ are at least as likely and they still have you crushed. If you're still in the hand on the turn, don't bet and don't call a raise. The only exception would be if you're desperate to see a showdown and you opponent is one of these guys who can't raise proper to save their lives, then bet $0.50 and watch him minraise you. But unfortunately for you, that isn't the case.

bozzer
03-24-2007, 12:41 PM
fold preflop and on flop raise. i like turn play.

on the river, you are calling any bet i think, so just shove.

bozzer
03-24-2007, 12:47 PM
KK, A4-2ss, A rag, and combo draws are possible holdings after the flop action for villian btw. so i think frosteaters analysis is too tight. would be helpful to have villain's stats though.

goat_beard
03-24-2007, 12:50 PM
IMO this isn't a fold preflop. For 3xbb and you are on SB/BB with Ax i would generally take a call. The flop you are looking for is definitly not AQJ though. I call preflop fold on the flop here. We were looking for a flop with hearts, the str8, or 2 pair to own AJ/A10

Frosteater
03-24-2007, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bozzer

KK, A4-2ss, A rag, and combo draws are possible holdings after the flop action for villian btw. so i think frosteaters analysis is too tight. would be helpful to have villain's stats though.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's entirely possible that I'm too weak here, happens a lot, but do you really think Ax and draws are played that aggressively at this stake? At least at $10NL I'd actually be surprised to see those hands here. Though I have to agree, reads/stats wouldn't hurt here to put villain on a range.

[ QUOTE ]
goat_beard

IMO this isn't a fold preflop. For 3xbb and you are on SB/BB with Ax i would generally take a call. The flop you are looking for is definitly not AQJ though. I call preflop fold on the flop here. We were looking for a flop with hearts, the str8, or 2 pair to own AJ/A10

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, but are supposing to call raises in the SB with any Ace, King, Queen, one-gapper, two-gapper and three-gapper here?