PDA

View Full Version : 50 nl - Playing JJ from big blind against a raise

qwertyui9
03-23-2007, 09:38 AM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($36.55)
UTG ($39.25)
MP ($47.10)
CO ($59.20)
Button ($30.60)
SB ($37.90)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $1.5</font>, Button calls $1.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5.5</font>, CO calls $4, Button calls $4.

Flop: ($16.75) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8.5</font>, CO folds, Button calls $8.50.

Turn: ($33.75) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $22.55 (All-In)</font>, Button calls $16.60 (All-In).

River: ($72.90) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $72.90

I find this to be quite an awkward spot. The initial raiser looked a fairly decent lag over 30ish hands and the button looked to be quite weak. In this sort of position what are people thinking, taking the pot down here as this is such a hard hand to play oop? Is my raise big enough here?

The flop looks quite good for me, only 1 over and it isnt an ace or king, is the c-bet here good or have i again bet too small?

How does this hand look to you?

Zagga
03-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Buy in for the max before every hand, bet more on the flop and check-fold turn

EDIT: I like check-folding on flop here too.

Trae3ab
03-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Yes there is no fold equity on the turn... The button has pretty much committed himself by calling the flop and all you have is second pair.

The flop bet isn't a bad bet, I don't mind it. But the Turn might be questionable. It feels like you got your information on the flop where you were at.

Being out of position is pretty difficult with JJ.

danny8
03-23-2007, 09:56 AM
you're both kinda short which makes c-betting then c/f turn a little awkward

buttons range i think includes AQ, 22, 55+ and

i cant see him folding much on the turn since he only has 1/2 psb left. You could get looked up by lower pp's and FD's, but it wouldnt suprise me to see a set/AQ.

Trae3ab
03-23-2007, 10:09 AM
If its a dry flush draw, he shouldn't be making this call anyways as he is not getting the odds on the river and he his call preflop is questionable based on stack size along. I want to see what he called that preflop bet with.

Note that I stand by what people do with their own money is their own business.

So if he wants to call off his money with A/Q or whatever he has preflop more power to him. If he peeled and hit a set to your JJ, he gave you the chance to dig a hole after he got lucky. If he was bigger than you preflop then he played that bad by just calling on the flop. IMO always IMO.

Kimo White Devil
03-23-2007, 10:16 AM
*grunch*

First of all, the fact you both arent that deep makes this hand difficult. On the flop the pot is 16$ and you only got 24$ effective money left. So whatever the amount you bet on the flop that is called, the rest is going in whatever the cards on turn/river since the odds would be humongous.

Since you 3-bet preflop, you have to c-bet for future 3-bet pots. Because if you get into a mode where you play passively postflop after a 3-bet, youll be in big trouble.

After that, you see a guy cold-calling a raise, then cold-calling a reraise for a total of 25% o his stack and calls your flop bet, you know he will go all-in whatever the turn card is. You have a 3-to-1 ratio on the turn so you should go all-in yourself if you intend to call the rest of his 16$.

I like your line except for a too small flop bet, make that 12$, for this hand and for future plays at this table even if you loose this one.

Loc0Loc0
03-23-2007, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the preflop aggressor with c/f u achieve anything... Make a prober cbet. If its called give up the hand.

If you where the IR would you check to when you dont hit?

Kimo White Devil
03-23-2007, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the preflop aggressor with c/f u achieve anything... Make a prober cbet. If its called give up the hand.

If you where the IR would you check to when you dont hit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain why you'd relaese the hand after a proper c-bet. suppose the proper c-bet is 12$ he calls it, the pot is now 40$ and the villain has 12$ left. 52-12 on your money, and you release it?

Quester
03-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Personally I think the play is fine. I'd like to see a larger bet on the flop. Button may have AQ/KQ but I think the diamond draw also makes up a large part of his range. This makes the turn bet correct, IMO.

RAHZero
03-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Rebuy for the max before the hand, bet ~$10 on the flop, and give up when called. As played, still give up after being called on the flop.