PDA

View Full Version : Home Game Hand (Need help!)

Klg0143
03-23-2007, 03:18 AM
I was playing in a home game (tournament not cash game) blinds were low at 300-600 we started with 10k in chips there was 3 people remaining. I was dealer opponent was big blind I had A4s I raise 2x the big blind, he smooth calls.

Background on opponent he is a tricky player who the 2 hands previous to this one had me guessing as to what to do. I put him on both hands he had and I was right he showed them but I didn't have the balls to pull the trigger and bluff him.

Back to this hand I raised he smooth calls flop comes A J 5.
I check and do some good acting like I did the other hands to make him think I had [censored], he raises 1500, I reraise to 3000 he calls. Turn comes A J 5 [6] I raise he pushes ( he has me covered. I debate and try to put him on a hand I eventually call and he shows AQo. He ends up winning the hand, I thought he played the hand really well and I thought I played it sorta well.

My question is: 3-handed top pair generally is good right and how did I play this hand?

I know this is long but I really need to know what i misplayed this hand or is it just bad luck?

Hoffma
03-23-2007, 03:52 AM
Where to start?

Your preflop raises need to be bigger, minraising does essentially nothing.

You guys need to check your rules. If you're playing such that dealer acts first on all streets, something is seriously wrong.

A4s is a decent hand to raise with from the button but it's mostly a drawing hand, not good as pairing hand, and doesn't hold up very well against two opponents. If you raise PF and show down with this hand, you're showing your opponents that you have a loose range. Not a good thing if you aren't planning on using this image to your advantage later.

Also, this should probably be in the Home Poker forum.

Klg0143
03-23-2007, 04:23 AM
Sorry I probably forgot to add in a "he checks" or something like that. Were not beginners we definetely don't play dealer acts first. Sorry I missed the home poker forum.

I was minraising because the hand before I raised pf decently and he called with trash anyways. So this hand I was looking to trap when I hit and A, I did and got screwed. It was 3 handed so I figured kicker doesn't matter as much.

Zagga
03-23-2007, 04:25 AM
I think this needs to be in the tournament section.

Leviathan101
03-23-2007, 04:27 AM
actually, this should probably go in the Single table tourney forum.

Well, actually kicker always matters. Given the action I really gotta say I fold your pair of aces on the turn. You have turned your hand face up, and he shoved anyways.

Raise to 3xbb preflop, 2xbb leads to too many rough spots. If he's even half decent, he shouldve be able to get away from a bad hand in a raised pot if you start showing strength.

SCBielski
03-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Ugh, so many problems here. I recommend you start reading/posting a lot more and you will answer most of your own questions. Might I suggest reading the stickies for uNL and SNL?

Klg0143
03-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Is the big problem that I didn't raise enough pre flop? Because I only did that for an attempt to trap that hand. Yes I have read most all of the stickies I have Hold Em Poker for the Advanced Player, Super System, and Caro's Book of Poker Tells. Last night I was making good reads until that hand, he is generally a tricky opponent and I don't really know how to counter his play. I admit my game isn't amazing by any standards. Thanks for all the help everyone.

creamfillin
03-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Do not get tricky with top pair no kicker.

kayfish77
03-23-2007, 10:00 PM
when he pushes you need to fold.