PDA

View Full Version : Fish Finding at uL: How?

MSPChris
03-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Smaller sites that I used to play on, it was easy: pick an open seat at a table.

On larger sites even the uL games are tighter and there are regulars there who I definitely would not want to sit down with -- mainly because I think there are still plenty of fish out there.

How to find them??? If you sit at a table for a few orbits, what makes you decide fish or not?

yeotaJMU
03-22-2007, 03:09 PM
if everyone is limping or if raises are called a lot there are usually fish. if there isnt any action you are probably at a table w decent players. i just look for lots of limping personally

losingdonkey
03-22-2007, 03:14 PM
I look for tables where the players have bought in with less than the full amount. If everyone has a fat stack, you're probably not going to get much action.

boycalledroy
03-22-2007, 03:16 PM
I look for a table with fat stacks sit to their left and raise it up every time I get a hand along the lines of 78s, 89s etc. You will stack people a hell of a lot!

yeotaJMU
03-22-2007, 03:23 PM
i usually find a table where everyone is shortstacked

RollTide77
03-22-2007, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I look for tables where the players have bought in with less than the full amount. If everyone has a fat stack, you're probably not going to get much action.

[/ QUOTE ]I used to do that too b/c they are easy to push around but its really not worth it if everyone is at 1/2 BI. They're too unpredictable and if you shove and win you don't get much for it. I first look for tables with high number of people seeing the flop. That indicates alot of limping. Then I look for those tables with high avg pot amt. That means that they hold on too long to their hands. Then I go and look for at least 3/4 of the people to have at least 3/4 of a BI. This system has worked for me the last few weeks as I've "tweaked" it.

corndog
03-22-2007, 04:39 PM
I use pretty much the same system as rolltide. I'd much rather sit somewhere where I have a decent chance of winning a full buy-in off of someone than at a table with a bunch of shorties.

You *might* not be able to push people around quite as much, but I'll take the extra implied odds any day.

losingdonkey
03-22-2007, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I used to do that too b/c they are easy to push around but its really not worth it if everyone is at 1/2 BI. They're too unpredictable and if you shove and win you don't get much for it. I first look for tables with high number of people seeing the flop. That indicates alot of limping. Then I look for those tables with high avg pot amt. That means that they hold on too long to their hands. Then I go and look for at least 3/4 of the people to have at least 3/4 of a BI. This system has worked for me the last few weeks as I've "tweaked" it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ill try this out, sounds a bit better than my plan

fees
03-22-2007, 05:24 PM
sit down @ a table?

Fiksdal
03-22-2007, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sit down @ a table?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol nh

Unforuneatly that is not the case anymore. I play 10NL at ftp, and pretty often the tables just aren't very juicy. Sometimes I even get walks on my big blind and stuff. Or I raise AA UTG and get 5 folds, wtf that shouldn't happen at 10NL! Whatever happened to when they would call me with 79s and give me 3 streets of value whenever they got a piece?

Sometimes you find a real good table though. I have a document with the screen names of a few known donators that I can search for whenever I start a session.

losingdonkey
03-22-2007, 06:01 PM
10NL at full tilt is roughly 50/50 winning/losing players. A lot of the winning players are longterm winners. Not saying it's impossible to find a juicy table, but it's not as easy as just sitting down anywhere.

Gustav
03-22-2007, 06:08 PM
The problem isn't so much that fish are hard to find. They're not, they're absolutely everywhere. It's that they play such incredibly short sessions compared to most competent players. This means that, on average, all tables are constantly getting progressively less fishy as time goes on. The key is to always be willing to change tables immediately once you start seeing too many red and orange numbers. Then just find any table with 40+ VPIP and a decent pot size that doesn't have a waitlist and sit. Chances are there's at least one major fish.

Too many people are consting themselves a fortune by being too lazy to do this simple thing.

Big Poppa Smurf
03-22-2007, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sit down @ a table?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is basically how you do it. Sit down and play a few orbits. This gives some time to see if there are any huge donks or if the table is a bunch of tags. If the former, profit. If the latter, then leave and profit.

I just pick tables by the average pot size. Sometimes it will be really high, and you'll sit down and be with 5 tags and realize the huge fish just busted out. Then you rinse and repeat, but at the times I usually play (after midnight and usually later) finding 3-4 good tables is really just a matter of sitting down and opening up like 5-6.

Angrymoog
03-22-2007, 07:37 PM
An interesting phenomenon Ive noticed is the tables witht he biggest pots often have a bunch of shortstacks on the table, which is not condusive tot he style I want to play. The same seems to apply to the highest VPIP tables. I usually find my tables by selecting one with a good vpip but slightly lower than the highest availible. This usually lands me on a table with all full stacks. Usually there will be around two ad players, with the rest mostly being exploitable in some way postflop.

jjb108
03-22-2007, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
10NL at full tilt is roughly 50/50 winning/losing players. A lot of the winning players are longterm winners. Not saying it's impossible to find a juicy table, but it's not as easy as just sitting down anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

50% of the players at 10NL are not winners. More like 10-15% tops. Those who are winners are definately moving up. Just on the basis of the math, it can't be 50/50 in a raked game.

ADK
03-22-2007, 07:49 PM
i go for tables with high % flop seen and big pots

Phytopath
03-22-2007, 07:50 PM
I guess poker is really dieing if people are nitty multi-tablers at NL10. I have never played NL10 so I don't know anything about it personally, I just assumed players would all be donktastic.

What I do is pick tables with the highest pots, sit and play a few orbits. If the tables are nitty I leave, if they are loose then I stay.

I think the point about fish playing short sessions is totally accurate, tables progressively tend to get nittier and nittier.

cubase
03-22-2007, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess poker is really dieing if people are nitty multi-tablers at NL10. I have never played NL10 so I don't know anything about it personally, I just assumed players would all be donktastic.

What I do is pick tables with the highest pots, sit and play a few orbits. If the tables are nitty I leave, if they are loose then I stay.

I think the point about fish playing short sessions is totally accurate, tables progressively tend to get nittier and nittier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. I 4-table myself, and last night over 500 hands i think I played on 15 tables total. One table I sat down, busted two shorties in one hand and was left with 3 nits. Move on. I stay as long as I need to pick up the profits and then let the nits play each other. While I feel confident I could smallball the nits to death, I'm more interested in stacking my opponents.

I recently started using the high VPIP + Pot size + check stack sizes. I load up the table and if I can't get a seat to the left a big stack, I find another table. After 3-4 orbits I have a pretty good idea who is who and I try to determine if I will be able to stack folks. If it is clear that the chips are in lockdown (especially two players on m y right) I move on.

Also, something I've been getting better at that is worth mentioning for folks who have this -EV problem... If someone has my proverbial number (they are sucking out constantly, they have the nuts when I think they are bluffing, I fold a strong hand and they show a bluff, etc,) instead of hanging around trying to beat THAT player, I move to another table where my image is clean and reset.

Angrymoog
03-22-2007, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, something I've been getting better at that is worth mentioning for folks who have this -EV problem... If someone has my proverbial number (they are sucking out constantly, they have the nuts when I think they are bluffing, I fold a strong hand and they show a bluff, etc,) instead of hanging around trying to beat THAT player, I move to another table where my image is clean and reset.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great advice. Our opponents begin to play better against us when we have a losing image.

03-22-2007, 08:43 PM
This works great too.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/274849/10001/10879/140/3

Zagga
03-22-2007, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This works great too.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/274849/10001/10879/140/3

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheater!

jonyy6788
03-22-2007, 09:44 PM
why is this thread not locked??????

cata1yst
03-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Play any micro limit table...