PDA

View Full Version : 2NL Strange AQ hand...

cubase
03-22-2007, 02:23 AM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB has been pushing his short stack (0.48 or so) in over and over. I just busted him and he reloaded to $1. I was actually pleased to see my hand, because I expected him to push in again and I was already committed to calling and then the drama unfolds as I pick up an unexpected hitchhiker.

CO ($7.53)
Button ($1.37)
SB ($4.89)
BB ($1)
UTG ($1.79)
Hero ($5.48)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.1</font>, CO calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $0.09, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $1</font>, Hero calls $0.90, CO folds, SB calls $0.90.

Flop: ($3.10) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($3.10) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.78</font>, Hero calls $0.78.

River: ($4.66) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $3.11 (All-In)</font>, Hero says wtf...?

Reef
03-22-2007, 04:52 AM
river was a good card for you. call river usually. sometimes I raise turn.

lemming
03-22-2007, 04:57 AM
I guess I would have raised turn as well...

If he really goes all-in when your AQ would beat him, he would be pretty stupid imo... He can only win the sidepot with a "bluff", my guess is he got the straight or maybe a set... For me an easy fold as BB is all-in, you see his cards anyway...

Genz
03-22-2007, 05:02 AM
With your read, I push preflop for isolation.
SBs line looks weird. I don't think that the small bet followed by the big bet is a weak hand. OTOH, if he has KK or AA, I see no reason why he should make such a small feeler bet because the board is pretty unscary. So he is either trying to suck you in or on a bluff with a busted draw. Considering the limit, I might call, but I expect to be beat here pretty often.

cubase
03-22-2007, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I would have raised turn as well...

If he really goes all-in when your AQ would beat him, he would be pretty stupid imo... He can only win the sidepot with a "bluff", my guess is he got the straight or maybe a set... For me an easy fold as BB is all-in, you see his cards anyway...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does seeing his cards make it an easier fold? If a player tells you (honestly, and he will) that he will show his cards if you fold does that make it easier to fold? Don't we really need to analyze the hand further?

What range of hands is calling a 0.90 cent raise with (and not re-raising). At this limit JJ-AA would be auto-shove for most players in his position. AK would be a possible re-raise, but some players will smooth call and see a flop first. What other pocket pairs are calling this massive raise? More importantly what hands are OVER-calling my call?

Given that range and the betting action, what are the likely hands left from that range?

Further, he makes a small bet on the turn... what does that mean? And I just call... I didn't indicate I have a big hand so why would he push on the river? If he has a big hand and wants to get paid and I show such weakness on the turn, what does he expect me to call with?

Please elaborate a little more on your thinking if you would... in particular I'm interested in hand range at each street...

cubase
03-22-2007, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With your read, I push preflop for isolation.
SBs line looks weird. I don't think that the small bet followed by the big bet is a weak hand. OTOH, if he has KK or AA, I see no reason why he should make such a small feeler bet because the board is pretty unscary. So he is either trying to suck you in or on a bluff with a busted draw. Considering the limit, I might call, but I expect to be beat here pretty often.

[/ QUOTE ]

At this limit AA/KK is almost always an autoshove. What other range of hands does the villian have (see my other reply)? He simply called pre-flop. He didn't have a hand worth re-raising my initial raise, but he hand that he decided was worth 90 cents. That alone tells me he probably isn't a good player as he doesn't have implied odds for his set (if we go with the GP theory of 25x given that you will hit your set when the other guy misses, or hit your set and lose, and so the times you stack the other guy you need to make up for the other situations in order to +EV).

Given that he's make what appears to be a bad play pre-flop, and makes a weak bet on the turn, what kind of ranges are we expecting here given the pre-flop action?

Why push on the river with the boat? He's already getting paid from the all-in... now he needs to figure out how to get paid by me? What does he have me on? (my guess is he doesn't think about what I have)