PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

QTip
03-21-2007, 10:19 PM
So...I'm going to try learning the NL game. I've been spending time today reading through the FAQs and all the wonderful work that's gone into the sticky posts and links to help folks learn. Thanks for all the help. I do have a couple of questions that I don't have answered yet if someone here would be so kind...

1. What does the "u" stand for in uNL?

2. I noticed that there is a single fullring NL/PL forum...I'm guessing that most then play 6 max. Is there a reason for this? I always hated 6 max limit games. If I play NL full ring, would I post those hands here or in that forum?

3. I went to PS and noticed that next to the game names there is a (no all-ins), and I don't understand what that means. NL without all-ins...doesn't seem to make sense.

Here's my initial plan here...any suggestions welcome.

Background: I spent about a year and a half playing limit poker. I played about 850k hands of small stakes, mostly consisting of 2/4. I did play as high as a bit of 20/40. I was decent at the game...nothing special. I played as a soul income for about 8 months, then got a "regular" job.

I'm planning on taking like $250-$300 into the $.05/$.10 game as I learn. I've only played NL once or twice....the experience is here (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=ssplnlpoker&Number=414536 7&Searchpage=1&Main=4145367&Words=%26quot%3Blook+l eft%26quot%3B+QTip&topic=&Search=true#Post4145367)

I've just dusted off Ciaffone and Ruben's book, which I've only ever read about the first 10 pages. I also just ordered Sklansky/Miller's book as well. I'm planning on reading those two and diving into the posts here.

Any other advice?

Thanks,

QTip

dankimball
03-21-2007, 10:27 PM
need to read the post by Tien i think is his name not for sure but i bet someone nows who i am talking about.....has some good stuff

orange
03-21-2007, 10:32 PM
1. micro.
2. you can post in the full ring forum, but for elementary questions, i think you can post them here.
3. no idea.

i suggest you play a little bit to get your feet wet. post some confusing hands. read the FAQ in uNL and SSNL. try to find someone else that is playing NL10 and talk/discuss hands.

as you learn and develop new concepts, continue to post/etc. gl

xwillience
03-21-2007, 10:38 PM
3) no allins = no all in protection i think. so if u loose connection you have effectively mucked your hand. keesp people from pulling the plug for a free SD when it comes to tough spots.

meleader2
03-21-2007, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. micro.
2. you can post in the full ring forum, but for elementary questions, i think you can post them here.
3. no idea.

i suggest you play a little bit to get your feet wet. post some confusing hands. read the FAQ in uNL and SSNL. try to find someone else that is playing NL10 and talk/discuss hands.

as you learn and develop new concepts, continue to post/etc. gl

[/ QUOTE ]

3 - no allins means no disconnect protect. if u time out, your hand is folded.

Big Poppa Smurf
03-21-2007, 10:47 PM
QTip,

I just made the switch from limit to no limit fairly recently. A few things:

1) you will want to play 6max, it's really not that different from full ring at these limits, you just get to raise more which obviously is more fun

2) it will be frustrating at first and you will make lots of mistakes (at least you will if you are like me) because you will be thinking like a limit player. Just start off playing tight and using your common sense and you will be fine until you develop the feel for nl.

Sean Fraley
03-21-2007, 10:50 PM
I made the transition from limit to NL in late December, so here is my input.

First off to answer question 3:

PokerStars has what is known as "all-in protection" which occurs in the event that you become disconnected during the course of a hand. When this happens you are treated as if you are all-in for whatever amount of money that you have already put into the pot. The micro-stakes tables do not have this protection so if you time out due to disconnection your hand is folded.

As for whether or not to play 6-Max, I would start in full ring if you are moving from limit. NL requires a style of play that is more decisive (decisions become raise/fold more often than calling it down) and more aggressive than what you are used to in limit. As you noticed in limit short handed games require more aggressive play than full ring and this holds true for NL as well. Starting in full ring will let you make the transition to NL in an environment that is closer to what you are used to in limit (though that isn't saying much). After you have gotten used to full ring and have enough hands to be confident that you are beating the game, try switching to 6-Max. One thing that you will notice is that once you learn the mindset and playing style that wins well at NL, you will quite likely prefer 6-Max NL games to full ring.

Read all of the Essential uNL and the SSNL master sticky in their entirety. Reread them at least twice a month for at least the next two months. This will help you immensely.

Big Poppa Smurf
03-21-2007, 11:32 PM
Q,

I just want to add that if you give no-limit a fair shot, you will soon be wishing you'd been playing it all along. It is like x10 more fun than limit and imo much more challenging.

breandan
03-21-2007, 11:41 PM
qtip i also just made the switch. i was a big winner at low limit full ring but honest to god it burns holes in my brain firing up sessions at limit anymore. if u want someone to exchange ideas with i'm starting over at nl myself. aim name is "pokerlifestyle" gl bro. its harder than anyone else makes it out to be.

matrix
03-22-2007, 06:16 AM
NL books are meh.

I think the info in the Essential Selection sticky and the SSNL Maser sticky is way better for entry level NL play than any book presently available.

I also find it helps lots to print the threads out so I have a hard copy to read (I keep a bunch of printouts in my bathroom for reading material)

That said once you have a good grasp of the basics (and if you've been playing limit lots you should do) then the NL TAP Miller/Sklansky book is good stuff - just remember that at NL10/25 TAG ABC poker is the way to go - Players don't start to be observant enough/sophisticated enough to try more advanced plays till about $100NL+

Welcome to the forums /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The generally considered opinion is that the fastest way to improve is to post hands for comment - read lots of hand posts and comment yourself - usually someone who knows better will be along to put you right if what you post isn't on the money so don't be afraid to voice your opinion ...

QTip
03-22-2007, 08:18 AM
Thx everyone for the welcome and advice.