PDA

View Full Version : Floaters at micro stakes

schaef
03-21-2007, 01:57 PM
One of the random pieces of poker knowledge that's bouncing around my head from who knows where is something like "what separates the good from the great is knowing when to fire the second barrel."

I just wrote and erased a paragraph here about how I think micro-stakes players think when facing a c-bet with a marginal hand, but I want to leave this open and see how you guys make turn decisions when you're the pre-flop aggressor and your c-bet is called on a board that is likely benign. Here's a hand I played yesterday as an example. Villain is fishy and running around 45/5 after a small sample. Hero is probably viewed as TAG (around 18/16), but what do I know...

Full Tilt Poker
$0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Ring Game
6 Players
LegoPoker Hand Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
BTN: $55.60
Hero (SB): $43.2
BB: $26.65
UTG: $66.90
MP: $55.40
CO: $23.45

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($0.75, 6 players)
UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, BTN folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.75</font>, BB calls $1.25

<font color="black">Flop:</font> T/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($3.5, 2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $3.25</font>, BB calls $3.25

<font color="black">Turn:</font> T/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif [9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif] ($10, 2 players)
Hero ???

Gustav
03-21-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm not sure what this has to do with firing 2nd barrels. A bet here would be a value bet, and not necessarily a bad one. I like a check/call though, especially since you think he's floating and is likely to toss out a weakish bluff if checked to.

03-21-2007, 06:33 PM
I would not fire a 2nd barrel here. Your hand has showdown value and your still drawing to a flush. In other situations it depends on a lot of things. Usualy I do it on scare card, as a semibluff or if I have a read on villain that he is calling my CB light.

boycalledroy
03-21-2007, 06:37 PM
A second barrel is when you are probably not winning but are shooting them off a weak made hand. You are not folding any T's or any 7's here. Your 9 puts you ahead of any Ace. This is a valuebet!