PDA

View Full Version : 25NL: TT versus 3-bet from SB

FloppyJ
03-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Villain is on my immediate left and has been playing decent but has gone off in chat on a couple people who have outdrawn him, giving rise to the possibility he is a fish himself. I expect that my image is super tight/nitty as I have been card dead for the last several orbits and have been doing lots of folding. He has re-raised my button raises at least twice in the last 10 minutes in addition to at least 1 3-bet earlier and I have folded in all cases. I suspect that he is 3-betting light but have not seen a showdown yet.

I have a stack of $50 or so and the villain has just under $30.

5 handed play

I don't have the actual hand history, but this is pretty close:

Pre-flop: Hero is button with T /images/graemlins/spade.gif, T /images/graemlins/heart.gif
<font color="#666666"> 1 fold </font> , UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.25 </font> , <font color="red">Villain raises to $2.65 </font> , <font color="#666666"> 2 folds </font> , <font color="red"> Hero Calls $1.40</font>

<font color="blue"> (His re-raise in this case was much smaller than his previous pre-flop 3-bets. I figured this meant he was either weaker than normal, or just wanted action. I'm not in love with my hand but I want to look him up at some point and I am getting nice odds here.)</font>

Flop: ($5.80) 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif, 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
<font color="red">Villain bets $4 </font>, <font color="red"> Hero calls $4 </font>

<font color="blue"> (This flop is good for me but there is a chance he has an overpair. I feel like floating, so I do.)</font>

Turn: ($13.80) 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Villain checks, Hero checks

<font color="blue"> (I read nothing into his check as the board is so dry he does not need to bet to protect an overpair and could well be just checking for pot control. I want to see a cheap showdown if possible, so check behind.)</font>

River: ($13.80) 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Villain checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $7 </font> , <font color="red">Villain raises $14.35 (all-in) </font>, Hero...

<font color="blue"> (Hah, villain checks again, so I immediately put him on AK or AQ, throw my cheap showdown plan out the window and toss a 1/2 psb out there. Villain thinks for a bit before shoving.) </font>

Comments on all streets would be appreciated, particularly the river bet.

.KeviN.
03-21-2007, 12:49 PM
this really depends on villian. Given that its 25nl thou im pretty sure you're good. Unless hes really smart and has some sort of a read, why would he go for a c/r on the river after u checked behind him on the turn? This definately looks like he thought ur 1/2 riv bet said you were weak so he decided to pull off sum pointless AI with overs. I think only a good player could actually attempt this with a real hand and he would know that his min raise is prob gonna get a call.

Anyway I'm never betting this river unless I have a crazy read and villian is a total absolute donk and will call me with A high because thats really all you beat. You mighta gotten more value though cuz of his bluff AI (unless it wasnt a bluff)

calmB4storm
03-21-2007, 12:52 PM
I think I might raise this flop, and then shut down for the rest of the hand if he calls.

If you put villain on AK/AQ after the river, why are you betting? You have him beat, but he's not going to be calling your bet. I can't really see any worse hands calling you here, and you're not gonna fold anything that has you beat, so I just check behind.

thefisherman
03-21-2007, 12:55 PM
As played, I call river. You're getting 4-1 on a call and you're probably going to lose this hand, but there's not much you can do.

Betting river won't do much as no one is going to call unless they have an overpair. Certainly though I call any reasonable bet on the river if he didn't check.

FloppyJ
03-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks, 3 out of 3 say the river bet is baaad, which is what I thought myself afterwards.

He was frustrated and had reloaded several times but my thought process at that precise moment was more along the lines of "Me have best hand, mmmm value, must put money in pot" as opposed to trying to induce a bluff. I was handed my cheap showdown on a platter and brain farted.

Once I put myself in that spot I think I have to call the river push. He was bluffing with AJs, but I expect to be beat here very often.