PDA

View Full Version : 10NL - KQ hits top pair OOP - opponent calls on the river and raise.

pena
03-20-2007, 10:21 AM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button ($17.65)
Hero ($9.95)
BB ($4.25)
UTG ($15.45)
MP ($7.30)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls $0.10, MP calls $0.10, Button calls $0.10, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.50) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.4</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP calls $0.40, Button calls $0.40.

Turn: ($1.70) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.1</font>, MP calls $1.10, Button folds.

River: ($3.90) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.9</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $4.2</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $10

No reads on him. Only 9 hands so far.

I hit TPGK on bad position, and lead to river. He pops up on the river.
What makes him raise when 5c comes on the river?
Could he had been holding some kind of monster and waited on the river to raise?
Folding is the only option on the river?
How did I play this?

NoahSD
03-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Looks about right. I'd full pot the flop and bet more on the turn + river.

When he minraises the river, it's because he has you beat.

xwillience
03-20-2007, 10:47 AM
i call for the simple fact that this doesnt make any sense.

it looks like 1 of two things.

1) he was slow playign to keep BTN in.

2) hes retarded. he may have called down with 55 if hes a station.

either way im calling because 1) its cheap information and 2) you might be ahead (small %).

pena
03-20-2007, 10:48 AM
"I'd full pot the flop and bet more on the turn + river."

I tried to keep the size of the pot small because I was OOP and forced to bet also on the river. (Not betting on the river would induce opponent to bluff the pot on the river) That's why turn bet was only 1.1/1.7. Bad play?

On the river I didn't dare to bet more because I had a feeling he might have me beat because he was calling 2 streets. My river bet was kind of blocking bet. I would have happy to see the showdown cheaply.

NoahSD
03-20-2007, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"I'd full pot the flop and bet more on the turn + river."

I tried to keep the size of the pot small because I was OOP and forced to bet also on the river. (Not betting on the river would induce opponent to bluff the pot on the river) That's why turn bet was only 1.1/1.7. Bad play?

On the river I didn't dare to bet more because I had a feeling he might have me beat because he was calling 2 streets. My river bet was kind of blocking bet. I would have happy to see the showdown cheaply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh.. he's not folding QJ/QT and there are 24 combos of that and only 16 combos of TJ. Throw in a like 3 combos of sets that decided not to raise flop or turn, and you're still ahead enough to not be terrified.

Also, in general, inducing a bluff on the river isn't something you want to be scared of. Bet flop, bet turn, check/call river is a pretty powerful line at these limits. The problem is that here there's no hand for him to bluff the river with, so checking the river doesn't accomplish anything except letting him maybe check back with QJ/QT (do people do this at NL10?) or bet smaller with QJ/QT than with TJ or something else annoying like that.

FWIW, the river fold is annoying because he's giving you a billion to one odds, but he's never bluffing and is very rarely value minraising worse hands, so it's pretty easy and standard.

RollTide77
03-20-2007, 03:31 PM
What do you guys think about raising PF? Any advantage/disadvantage?

I'm tempted to raise PF but with all these limpers I'm not sure. I know I would raise with a couple less limpers.

As played I'm putting more in on the turn and then c/c the river.