PDA

View Full Version : Knowing your demise

The DaveR
03-18-2007, 01:18 PM
There's a hugely interesting, and heartbreaking, article in the New York Times (article--login required) (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/18/health/18huntington.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin) today. A synopsis is that there is a definitive genetic test that one can take in order to know if one will develop Huntington's Disease (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntington%27s). which, as I understand it, typically develops near middle age and previously was largely tracked, probabalistically, through family history. I can't imagine what it's like to live with that knowledge, or anything approximating it--knowing specifically about your remaining life and how you will lose it. I don't know if I would have the courage to have the test done.

mmbt0ne
03-18-2007, 01:28 PM
My gf asked me this question the other day. I decided that I couldn't do it, but I would feel like I would have to if I was going to have children. Thankfully there is no family history, so I won't have to worry about it.

Anacardo
03-18-2007, 05:02 PM
One of my core life theories is that Knowledge Is Never Bad To Have. This seems like a nice test of that belief!

JaBlue
03-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Some say that Death is always waiting to tap you on the shoulder and may choose to do so at any moment. According to them, if you are always aware of this, your actions will have more purpose.

This sounds a lot like a way to induce that state of mind.

For me, if I tested and it turned out I would have Huntington's, I would probably stop thinking about it after a while.

AZK
03-18-2007, 08:40 PM
I would absolutely want to know

2/325Falcon
03-19-2007, 09:00 AM
If I thought I was at risk for Huntington's I would definitely take the test.

NajdorfDefense
03-20-2007, 06:31 PM
If you found out one of your partners was HIV+, would you get tested?

Aloysius
03-20-2007, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At first I was a little put-off by this analogy but it's a fair one.

Daver - interesting article, thanks for linking.

-Al

The DaveR
03-20-2007, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad analogy. I test positive for HIV and what do I do? Replace HIV with Huntington's.

Aloysius
03-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Daver - donate to Huntington's foundations, stay on top of the news, monitor developments, go through every available experimental therapy...?

-Al

The DaveR
03-20-2007, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Daver - donate to Huntington's foundations, stay on top of the news, monitor developments, go through every available experimental therapy...?

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

HIV has effective treatments.

mmbt0ne
03-20-2007, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

HIV has effective treatments.

[/ QUOTE ]

And can be passed to unsuspecting people.

Aloysius
03-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Daver - haha yeah I get that... you're right in that knowing there's effective treatment is very different from how one might attempt to "combat" Huntington's... but I don't think it's a terrible analogy as I tried to demonstrate with my post above.

If you're 30 like me... you've got what 10-20 years of medical advancement on your side before Huntington's kicks in. I'd rather be on top of stuff than not know.

-Al

Edit - oh and good point from Tone (for both HIV and Huntington's)

imthaifool
03-21-2007, 12:46 AM
Ignorance is bliss.