PDA

View Full Version : Not even excited about winnings?

sushijerk
02-13-2006, 05:17 PM
Before I started playing poker, I'd occasionally hear news about people turning trivial amounts like $50 or $100 into 10k with poker and dismiss it as one of those astonishing yet rare feats. I put $100 into PP last June and I'm going to reach the 10k mark pretty soon. Whenever I mention this most nonplayers respond with a lot of shock and awe. Yet I am simply unable to be excited by this achievement. I've made about half of it playing 50 NL, SNGs, and the other half 5-tabling low limits. I feel it is the exact same thing as if I got a job, worked a couple of months, and got a regular paycheck.

I really feel like I should be impressed with myself, but I'm not.

solucky
02-13-2006, 05:57 PM
same here in fact i stop playing for awhile. Had a bad streak, but still up around 1K/month. Not motivated and no fun to work in the moment.

raptor517
02-13-2006, 06:34 PM
what has occurred here is no unnatural phenomenon. you have experienced success the correct way. playing within your bankroll and beating up donkeys. you know eventually you will win no matter what. thus, there is little challenge remaining at the smaller stakes for you. the only hope you have anymore of feeling that success is building your bankroll and moving to higher stakes, or maybe satelliting into some mtts and winning one of those. congrats on your successes so far. holla

_TKO_
02-14-2006, 12:29 PM
This is the exact opposite of result-oriented thinking, and it's a good thing.

If you think it's affecting your play, take a shot at a higher limit. The thrill of poker comes from playing underrolled. Otherwise, I see no problem.