PDA

View Full Version : interesting hand

sh58
03-12-2007, 07:09 PM
hello, haven't posted before but have been reading at 2+2 for a while.
interesting hand in .25BB cash game on full tilt.

20 hands in to session.
short stacked donk LAG player limps UTG. ($5) (47%, 11%)
Tight passive player limps after ($15) (17%, .6%)
another player limps.
player raises 6xBB. ($25) this player has not played 1 hand in 20.
i am behind him with QQ. ($25)

issue 1) obviously limpers are no problem to me at present, but affect my options.
a) folding is not an option in a cash game, even if i believe i am behind
b) calling : get to see a flop, but without gaining info bout raiser. also, UTG will certainly call (big deal), but don't want any others in which is a danger. calling makes it very easy to play if A or K flops. will be hard to play with overpair
c) raising. almost certainly get limpers to fold, except for UTG who may call all in( again, who cares). If raiser re raises, we can easily fold. its a clarifying play, and may take the hand down straight away

i chose to call because i wanted to see a flop and i thought the limpers calling will keep the raiser honest on the flop. (he will not attempt a bluff with 3 other players in the pot)

LAG and TP call.

Flop is 5s, Ts, Jc. ($6.6)

LAG goes all in for $4.1
TP calls. (he has $10 left)
PF raiser folds

2) the 2nd difficult decision. again. LAG could have anything. flush draw, straight draw, any part of the flop.
(in a previous hand, he bets $2 at a player who has $2.65 left, the player goes all in, and LAG folds!!!)
The TP player calls with any playable hand. he could have flush draw or TP (AJ, KJ, QJ) or two pair (JT) or a set or open ended straight draw.
the fold of PF raiser suprises me. obviously i fold if he calls or raises. now comes the decision

a)folding: definately a choice. i have put only $1.5 into the hand and 2 players have shown interest, 1 is very tight.
b)calling: pointless. best to either raise TP all in or fold
c)raise. i feel i am almost always ahead of LAG, plus he cannot hurt me much if he has me beat. by raising, i can hopefully get TP to fold if he has flush draw (he will call with most other hands. he may call with flush draw) or call behind.

i decided to put TP all in and hope for the best.

hopefully post is not too long.
i have results and i also found out what PF raiser had.
would appreciate comment.

MrMysterious
03-12-2007, 07:21 PM
reraise pf- you have the 3rd best hand pf. even if the tight player hasn't played 1/20 hands, your dealing with an incredibly small sample size. Far too small a sample size to even consider that QQ compares less than favourably against his range.

flop is good imo. you really don't have a great feel for what hands opponents have but- loose short stack probly has a Jack or a draw. i doubt he has 2 pair here very often bcs he sounds bad, and would probly cr with 2pair+ 100% of the time.

other limper may have a hand that beats your or may not, but your getting good odds with an overpair and bcs the way the hand is played you really can expect him to show alot of hands you beat as well as a few that beat you.

Angrymoog
03-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Nice first post and welcome to the community.

Situations like this should exemplify why it is important to reraise preflop. The whole hand plays differently at that point.

As played, I think you should fold simply because of the action.

sh58
03-12-2007, 08:13 PM
one of the interesting things about this hand is the fact that i have played only 20 hands with players. very short sample size. thus very difficult to put players on hands. after 100 hands i could make a much more read based play. the hand plays like a theoretical discussion. what do you do when faced by the following stereotype players (they amusingly fit perfectly the stereotypes) lol - its not the sort of hand to start your session of with.

theoretically i agree now that reraising was probably the best play, especially early in session. keep it simple. i would do this 75% of the time normally. however, calling is not wrong, its just a more tricky way of playing it, with more difficult decisions on later streets. i am trying to keep my game simpler, especially at .25BB. i have just changed to 9 player tables to simplify my game and play a bit more solid. at the time i was just trying to keep it cheap cos i had no info. maybe paying more to make the decisions easier is the way to go