PDA

View Full Version : NL10 - Time to check/call for value?

DannyOcean_
03-12-2007, 02:06 AM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($1.10)
Hero ($10)
UTG ($3.85)
MP ($6.05)
CO ($11.35)
Button ($7.45)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls $0.10, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, Button calls $0.40, SB folds.

Flop: ($1.10) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.9</font>, Button calls $0.90.

Turn: ($2.90) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $1.4</font>, Hero calls $1.40.

River: ($5.70) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $2.2</font>, Hero calls $2.20.

Final Pot: $10.10

Pf and flop are pretty standard for me, but the turn is questionable.

I know that in certain situations it is best to let villian bet, because they will bet more hands than they would call, and we gain value from villian's marginal hands by check/calling. I felt like this was an appropriate place to try this line, because i'm not particualrly afraid of a striaght on this board. Same logic on the river. But then, I'm not great at determining when is an appropriate time to take this line.

Comments?

ItalianFX
03-12-2007, 02:27 AM
If they want to play, they are going to keep playing. I'd say bet the turn and let him react to you rather than him making some crazy bet causing you to fold. If he wants to raise you, then you have a decision to make, but don't give him the opportunity to see free cards.

21SuicideKing21
03-12-2007, 02:40 AM
I like the check on turn, but I think you should check raise this to trap the AJ, KJ, QJ hands. But the way you played it, on river why wouldn't you reraise him? You played this hand really weakly. Like I said I don't mind the check on turn, it can throw him off, but you really can't be this passive on this weak board.

theflyingcow
03-12-2007, 03:21 AM
I agree with SuicideKing. Why not c/raise all-in on the river on such a dry board? I'm one of those guys who likes to be in control of the hand so I would actually just keep betting the turn and river, anywhere from 2/3-pot sized bets.

T-Bone98
03-12-2007, 03:38 AM
I'd c/r the turn and lead on the river.

DannyOcean_
03-12-2007, 02:13 PM
I didn't even consider it at the time, but a c/r on the turn looks really good, much appreciated.

RollTide77
03-12-2007, 02:20 PM
I wouldn't ever slow play one pair at 10NL. If you want to call someone down when there are overs then that is fine. But not here. You have the overs. Take the lead. If he's got a J he's calling your flop bet. Doesn't mean he's beating you. A 4 on the turn shouldn't scare you. Lead the turn with a good sized bet and if he calls that then it might be A3 and you'll have a decision to make on the river.

AKQJ
03-12-2007, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Turn: ($2.90) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $1.4</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point, I'm also agree that his bet on the turn is questionable. I would raise big here for more info on his hand, because I really don't know what I'm facing here. Calling is not good in my opinion.

Angrymoog
03-12-2007, 07:13 PM
I could like the turn check depending on your previous hands with this villain or at the table in general. If you've been cbetting OOP , getting called, and then shutting down on the turn, this is a great spot to c/r then lead the river. His range is largely a Jack and some random bluffs/semi bluffs with overcards.

MrMysterious
03-12-2007, 07:37 PM
bet turn
1)bet to protect against the obvious flushdraw.
2) for value against 1 pair hands
3) bet so you can set the price to the next card. sure he bet into you, but his bet was kinda weak.
4) if you want him to make a mistake, you bet flop and he calls, but if your going to offer him a free card on turn to hit 2 pair or a draw then any half brained opponent will check behind either turn to get a free flush card (and be able to get paid a bit when he hits or fold for free when he misses) or river and get to see showdown cheap.

also, i have never been a huge fan of cr heads up. i think your better off to just lead all 3 streets.

Angrymoog
03-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Obviously you have good points, this hand is worth protecting and theres nothing wrong with betting out the turn. Certainly no reason to become scared and check/call.

But I do think a check raise here can be warranted if, like I stated above, you have already played a hand in that manner your check will induce a bet so you can get more money into the pot when you're ahead and thus more value.

Mal_Pais
03-12-2007, 11:38 PM
I would lead this turn. If called, I'm checking the river and hoping to induce a bluff, unless he does something crazy.

Bonesy
03-13-2007, 12:35 AM
Not betting the turn here is a mistake. The majority of his range is something you beat wether it is a draw or a jack or some other pair. Charge the draws and value bet the weaker made hands. I just take this guy to value town. You haven't provided us with any reads that would make me think otherwise.

restrikt
03-13-2007, 12:47 AM
Yeah I lead turn too, or if not, at least C/R.

As played, obv call river, maybe even CRAI.