PDA

View Full Version : New NL Player needs help with TP hand

masterdon
02-13-2006, 01:15 AM
Hi all,

I've been playing limit and SNGs for some time and recently
jumped into NL ring games. I've been having trouble with hands like these where I flop top pair with a good kicker. I'm never sure how far to take them.

Villain was 41/4/0.73

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

UTG+1 ($47.27)
MP1 ($6.65)
MP2 ($36.80)
MP3 ($22.45)
CO ($24.65)
Button ($18.49)
SB ($2.75)
BB ($25.50)
Hero ($23.40)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $0.35. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
Hero calls $0.25, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $0.25, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.25, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.85) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, UTG+1 calls $2, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $2, Button folds, SB calls $2, BB folds.

Turn: ($9.85) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, UTG+1 calls $7, MP3 folds.

River: ($23.85) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero bets $7, UTG+! raises to $15

Final Pot: $23.85

So by his actions I was pretty sure he was on a flush draw, so when a non-flush card came on the river, I decided to bet the river.

I'm not sure about any of my actions during this hand. Was it an easy fold on the river? Should I have checked the river?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Iconoclastic
02-13-2006, 01:28 AM
Raise Preflop. Barring reads a Continuation Bet is +EV. Just don't overplay TP against a rock or something like that.

There's no reason not to call that small raise on the River since you yourself bet such a small amount that was begging for a raise from any Ace. You're probably behind but the call is easy with this big a pot.

quarkncover
02-13-2006, 01:50 AM
Masterdon-

PF: Raise&gt;fold&gt;call

Flop: Good bet

Turn: Good bet

River: Your bet is a blocking bet as such you need to fold to villain's raise. The only hand we're beating here is AJ, also villains AF is .73 which means he is passive post-flop, when he raises, run for cover.

*Edit, ugh just looked at stack sizes, no way I'm folding to this bet given those odds. In the future I think:

C/C&gt;Block(you can't really block this river given stack sizes and should just treat it as a value bet)&gt;C/F

XxPenguinxX
02-13-2006, 07:43 AM
You must raise this before the flop. If you do, and you don't get re-raised, you can play this as though it were TPTK. The only hands you'd need to be worried about then would be sets. As played, you allow the fish to limp in with their Ace-rag, so by the river you're worried about a lot of 2-pair Ace hands as well as sets, junk straights, etc.

A PFR also, as Iconoclastic points out, sets up a continuation bet on the flop if it comes down rags.

BTW, I would say the AQo is about the weakest hand I would PFR from UTG, and that I would fold it to a re-raise.

ChipStorm
02-13-2006, 08:10 AM
If you put villain on a busted flush draw then you should check/call river. He'll never call your bet with a busted hand, but he may bluff at you.

Dan Bitel
02-13-2006, 08:20 AM
masterdon,

raise this hand preflop if you're going to play it

good bet on the flop and turn

check/call is best on river, as it allows a missed flush draw to bluff into you. As played, you have to call the river raise just because of odds

junkmail3
02-13-2006, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

PF: Raise&gt;fold&gt;call

[/ QUOTE ]

In a post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&amp;Board=ssplnlpoker&amp;Number=470638 8&amp;Searchpage=1&amp;Main=4706388&amp;Words=+junkmail3&amp;topic =&amp;Search=true#Post4706388) I made over the weekend, you said:

PF: Fold &gt; Raise &gt; Call, with AQo UTG.

Just wondering what your real view is. /images/graemlins/smile.gif