PDA

View Full Version : When to play from EP

TyMan
03-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Hey guys I wasn't sure what to title this post but here's the question. Is it right to play a hand like 10-9o from the big blind when there has been a minimum raise and majority of the table calls. So my pot odds are incredible but I have to play the rest of the hand out of position, against the entire table. Should I just fold? Also would the situation differ at a max 6 table vs a table of 9 or 10?

Sweir
03-09-2007, 04:25 PM
uNL is a 6max forum, play 6max, FR is boring.

Playing marginal hands OOP is quite dependant on a number of things: stack sizes of villians (implied odds), number of villians in the pot (again implied odds), one very important thing is how well you personally can play marginal hands OOP post-flop and if you will be able to get away from better hands without losing a large % of your stack when you hit e.g. TP or something, also the PFR size clearly matters.

Personally I would play T9o from the BB when someone min-raised PF and there were 2 or more callers.

spyderracing
03-09-2007, 04:28 PM
if you're getting like 6:1+ you should really call almost any two just to see if you can flop a monster. Your implied odds are probably pretty good too if you have something like 74o and flop comes 44A in a 4 or 5 way pot.

Sweir
03-09-2007, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you're getting like 6:1+ you should really call almost any two just to see if you can flop a monster. Your implied odds are probably pretty good too if you have something like 74o and flop comes 44A in a 4 or 5 way pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like calling w/ hands like 74o in the blinds even if you are getting good odds. You will hit a very small % of flops and those you hit you could well be out kickered or something. I atleast want a hand that has some potential.

RAHZero
03-09-2007, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like calling w/ hands like 74o in the blinds even if you are getting good odds. You will hit a very small % of flops and those you hit you could well be out kickered or something. I atleast want a hand that has some potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting 6:1 I'd call with any hand that could flop a nut straight, which 74o can.

Sweir
03-09-2007, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting 6:1 I'd call with any hand that could flop a nut straight, which 74o can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think this is that +EV?? I mean floping a nut straight w/ 74o means that the board is likely to be very ragged so I dont think that your implied odds are that good. And how often are you going to flop a nut straight?? not very.

Klopzi
03-09-2007, 04:37 PM
If I'm going to be in a pot with a number of players (4+), I don't mind calling the min-raise with a lot of hands. If you hit, one of your opponents is sure to pay you off.

In a pot with fewer than 4 opponents, I'm looking to play against either super passive players who'll let me draw to the river cheaply, or I'm looking for crazy aggressive players who'll pay me off if I hit a lucky flop.

As for T9o, I'd only play this hand with 4 or 5 opponents in the flop and I'd be extremely picky in what I consider to be a good flop.

Last night, I pretty well stacked off with my own T9s played from SB when I barely connected with the flop. It was a bad scene and I've learned my lesson...until the next time I pick up T9s in the SB...

AliasMrJones
03-09-2007, 05:05 PM
As long as you don't get nutty when you flop something like top pair, calling a min-raise OOP with T9o and other cold callers is fine.

Klopzi
03-09-2007, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As long as you don't get nutty when you flop something like top pair...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's definitely the deciding factor here.

WallsofBania
03-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Yes, you have to have some control when you flop a piece of it forsure and not get all crazy.

This goes w/o saying but I will anyway, this just goes to show how foolish it is opening min anyway. I see it all day and just have to laugh at what these people think they are accomplishing.

Also the people who bet min on the flop like .50c into a 6.75 pot, those are the jokers I like.

Everlong
03-09-2007, 05:58 PM
I don't fold my big blind to a minraise unless villain has less than 50bb

Thremp
03-09-2007, 06:02 PM
The ability to call is directly proportional to your ability v the rest of the table postflop.

Vyse
03-09-2007, 06:59 PM
In the BB I'm a lot more likely to call to a minraise and others in the pot -- I'm autocalling T9o for example.

But if I was in the SB, I'm usually auto-tossing the same type of hands. It doesn't matter if you get 8:1, there's no way I remotely think about calling with junk ilke 74o. It does have to have some sort of connecting potential.