PDA

View Full Version : Jared Leto Syndrome: credit where credit is not due

private joker
03-09-2007, 03:47 PM
There is a fascinating phenomenon in pop culture whereby certain figures receive credit where it may or may not belong. The thing is, there's a lot of media and a lot of information floating around, so everyone thinks they're experts. They think everything they read is the whole truth (well, they won't admit it but subconsciously they do) and jump to bad conclusions because of it.

Often there's a lot going on behind the scenes of stuff and it's probably wise to withhold judgment a lot of times. And this works both ways -- be careful not to bash people you've never met because there's lots of gossip stories about them, and also be careful not to overly praise people when you assume they're responsible for everything good that surrounds them. They may not be.

I know the above description is vague and shallow, so I'll explore it a little deeper. I've named this condition Jared Leto Syndrome because actually it applies both ways to Leto himself.

First, let's look at reasons why Leto might be unfairly *overrated*.

Was there any evidence, prior to about 1998, that Leto was a good actor? I don't think so; he'd done some bad TV shows and bit parts here and there, and was generally considered some young pretty boy idiot. But then he had a slate of terrific movies on his resume:

The Thin Red Line
Fight Club
American Psycho
Requiem For a Dream
Panic Room

I think any actor would die to have that resume. One masterpiece after another. However -- can't one attribute this success to Leto's manager? Somebody is reading all those scripts, and someone is working deals to get Leto cast in these movies. Everyone in Hollywood wanted to be in Thin Red Line, and most of them didn't make it. Those who did ended up getting cut out a lot of the time. But I first took notice of Leto when he's in that field chewing gum and wide-eyed, ready to charge. The instant he gets up he gets blasted in the chest. Pretty cool scene. Of course his roles in Fight Club and American Psycho are small, but effective. Then his breakout lead role in Requiem is just great acting any way you slice it. I think his dining room table scene with Ellen Burstyn is the most emotionally wrenching moment in cinema of the past decade. In fact when you watch the scene you can see the framing on Burstyn's face slip a bit because the DP's eyepiece fogged up from his tears while he was shooting it.

Anyway, the point is Leto has a great manager/agent apparently. Still doesn't mean he's some great actor. Just good enough, probably.

Now let's look at why Leto may be *underrated*. If you've been reading blogs over the past 2 years or paying attention to any celeb gossip rags, you'll find stories of Leto acting like a total prick during shows of his crappy rock band 30 Seconds To Mars. What a godawful band that is, and how dare someone who sings for such a crap band have the gall to act like a prima donna -- getting into fights, storming off stage, yelling at fans, being an overall jerk.

But this is what we read. Of course these stories make the news. Does anyone report the other 95% of the time when Leto might just be working competently? Showing up on time, doing multiple takes for the video, and staying sober until it wraps? Not worthy of a medal, of course, but certainly not bad -- but it's not news, and thus our image now of him is warped the other way. A friend of mine knows Leto's assistant, and evidently he's a pretty normal and relatively good guy. I guess I'll take her word for it, since I don't want to fall for the Jared Leto Syndrome and jump to conclusions.

Anyway, what have we learned about Leto? Turns out we're just as confused as ever -- he might be a good actor, but he probably just has a good manager. He might be a prick on stage, but he also might only have a few outstanding moments of douchiness and the rest of the time he's fine. At the end of the day, I've never met him and I shouldn't rush to judgment.

Extrapolate for a minute -- how have you fallen victim to Jared Leto Syndrome? Assume Robert DeNiro is really boring because he doesn't interview well? Assume Tom Cruise is a psychopath because of the Scientology stuff? Assume Sharon Stone is smart because she keeps telling people she is? Maybe you assume Hillary Clinton is a frozen cold bitch.

Maybe you assume OK Go is a good band because of the treadmill video, but it turns out they suck and just happened to record with the guy who produced New Order, Suede, The Cardigans, and Franz Ferdinand. Maybe you didn't notice that the same guy produced the movies Seven, The Devil's Advocate, and A Perfect Murder, and never put together the guilty-pleasure genre-thrills those movies offer as being of a piece.

Maybe something some athlete said was taken out of context. Maybe some apology some jerk made in the media was totally scripted and he didn't really mean it. Maybe that nice guy on Letterman goes home and beats his wife before cheating on her.

There's a lot of information out there. But there's a lot we don't know. I've stopped jumping to conclusions. Because I have no idea what Jared Leto is like.

Eagles
03-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Great post
I'll give some more thoughts once it sinks in a bit but this really is a fantastic post IMO. Excellent content and it was written very well.

NajdorfDefense
03-09-2007, 03:56 PM
At age 27, I don't think Leto was considered a 'boy idiot' as you claim.

private joker
03-09-2007, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At age 27, I don't think Leto was considered a 'boy idiot' as you claim.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW the phrase "pretty boy idiot" should have implied he was both a "pretty boy" (which someone can be at any age) and "idiot."

NajdorfDefense
03-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Fair enough, but who claimed he was an idiot? Just curious.

It's a truism that many good-looking people in Hollywood are called 'stupid' due to the nature of their success, particularly if it comes at a younger age. The national/LA media didn't pick up on how sharp Will Smith was until much later in his career, as an example.

nyc999
03-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Funny story - my friend worked on the movie he recently made in which he plays the guy who killed John Lennon. He gained something like 70 lbs. for the role. Apparently, the mics were left on in-between takes. He didn't know this and told the person next to him "I've just ruined my career." The director/producers, etc. were not very happy.

prohornblower
03-09-2007, 05:03 PM
I liked him as Steve Prefontaine.

private joker
03-09-2007, 06:09 PM
General note about this thread: it will get lame if people only talk about Jared Leto. He was just the launch pad for the syndrome in general, so feel free to bring up other examples of people/items that have fallen victim to JLS, or times when you have been guilty of JLS.

BarryLyndon
03-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Holy [censored], the media skews our interpretation of actors and focuses our attention on aspects of performing artists lives that are almost entirely irrelevant to their art? People pay attention to fast-food entertainment as opposed to actually sitting and thinking about the films they watch? Corporations feed on this because it translates to millions of dollars! Holy [censored] [censored], call the President, it's a national emergency. No, wait - it's just most people being people. Sigh.

It's a pretty salient point, Joker.

On to Leto himself (since it's goinng to become about this anyway):

I think that looking at Leto as Steve Prefontaine is a nice example of Joker's best point - he's a competent actor. He won't tear a film apart, but don't ask him to raise any film's quality to a higher level. If you put, on the other hand, Billy Crudup in "Prefontaine" and Jared Leto in "Without Limits," things would get awfully interesting. "Without Limits" would become terrible, but Crudup give "Prefontaine" a few thousand more volts of dramatic synergy.

I suspect that Leto's best role - Requiem for a Dream - is a function of brilliant CASTING, which found him to be a perfect fit. Direction had a thing or two to do with all the actor's spledor, as even Marlon Waynes was gripping.

As to what Jared Leto is like, it brings me back to my most unsung request - let's just watch the [censored] movies, please.

thatpfunk
03-09-2007, 06:23 PM
um, duh?

keikiwai
03-09-2007, 06:27 PM
For me, one of the most important ways the media shapes people's views on actors, writers, etc. is by omission.

For example, since I spent my younger years in Hungary while it was a part of the Eatern Block, I'm really pumped about watching The Lives of Others. The movie is supposed to be very good, and it's about a very relevant (in many ways today) and recent theme that is not explored by tons of movies or books. But I have a feeling it's not going to be playing in my local multiplex and I won't hear about it on MTV ([censored], I hope MTV's not plugging it constantly, since I don't watch it, but you get the idea).

Omission makes the public miss out on a lot of cool stuff, and makes it impossible or at least very hard form many talented directors and actors to make it big.

lapoker17
03-09-2007, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Was there any evidence, prior to about 1998, that Leto was a good actor? I don't think so; he'd done some bad TV shows

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, my so called life?

sledghammer
03-09-2007, 08:15 PM
I think Paris Hilton falls under this category. Like most people, I thought she was just a spoiled rich kid who was using her money to make herself a celebrity, etc. Then TT made some post about her family actually being relatively poor, and that she is actually a shrewd self-promoter using her name and connections to make a career about of being a celebrity. The truth is somewhere in the middle of course, but I'd rather just think of her as the spoiled brat, since it's easier and more fun.

dankhank
03-09-2007, 09:25 PM
seems like the issue of hypocrisy and misinformation is being explored by art and media more and more these days. i was watching syriana last night and was thinking about how much of the daily film/tv/radio i consume now explores image vs reality in a bigger, better way than entertainment did a decade ago. we probably have george w. bush to thank for this partly, since his facade so easily breaks down and he's such a public figure.

SEABEAST
03-10-2007, 03:54 AM
Good post. Of course, this extends to real life too as we are always basing our opinions of people on limited information, and often revising them on things we hear. Some people who seem happy all of the time in social situations go home and feel anxious and empty, and some who seem shy or standoffish are the most charismatic people imaginable when in their comfort zone. People are always making judgments based on one liners of information (that guy is a real psycho apparently; that girl is really shy and weird, etc)

fish2plus2
03-10-2007, 08:28 AM
why do you guys know so much about jared leto? lol.

Jurollo
03-10-2007, 11:05 AM
He is decent musically in his band "30 Seconds to Mars"

Colt McCoy
03-10-2007, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why do you guys know so much about jared leto? lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. Jared Leto? What a goofy example.

I'm not really sure why people care at all about Hollywood's backstage antics or about actors as people. I don't even know why we care about them as actors except that those opinions help us decide whether to see a movie or not. If I form a bad opinion about him being good or bad, where's the harm? I may end up seeing a movie I wouldn't have and have to revise my opinion. Who cares? Anyway, you're always going to have limited information about everything. You make do with what you've got.

NoahSD
03-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Just for reference, here's Jared Leto:

http://www.celebrity-exchange.com/celebs/photos36/jared-leto-4.jpg

Maybe one of the mods could put it in the first page to clarify for guys like me who don't know actors by name.

DLizzle
03-10-2007, 02:06 PM
I think OP might have a case of Dr Phil syndrome here: saying completely obvious things while making them sound profound.

cbloom
03-10-2007, 02:16 PM
I never understood the whole thing with actors getting credit for the roles they chose. People like Johny Depp, Christina Ricci, William H Macy - whether or not you think they are good actors, most of their reputation comes from "choosing good roles". (Christina is one that I think is actually a total air-head awful actress that has somehow gotten a lot of interesting roles which makes her seem more talented than she is). WTF how [censored] hard is it to choose good roles? Someone else wrote the movie, directed it, etc. all you have to do is have enough brains to say "um, Wild Hogs, I'm not gonna do that, oh yeah Edward Scissorhands, okay I'll take that role" (and it's the agent/manager doing that anyway!).

Basically it seems like the actors are getting a lot of the credit for the movie they're in, credit which should pretty much go to the writer/director/agent/manager.

Borden
03-10-2007, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I never understood the whole thing with actors getting credit for the roles they chose. People like Johny Depp, Christina Ricci, William H Macy - whether or not you think they are good actors, most of their reputation comes from "choosing good roles". (Christina is one that I think is actually a total air-head awful actress that has somehow gotten a lot of interesting roles which makes her seem more talented than she is). WTF how [censored] hard is it to choose good roles? Someone else wrote the movie, directed it, etc. all you have to do is have enough brains to say "um, Wild Hogs, I'm not gonna do that, oh yeah Edward Scissorhands, okay I'll take that role" (and it's the agent/manager doing that anyway!).

Basically it seems like the actors are getting a lot of the credit for the movie they're in, credit which should pretty much go to the writer/director/agent/manager.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good/great screenplay is going to come out lousy if you put bad actors in it. The actors that last much like the agents, CE, etc are the ones who can spot great scripts and then surround themselves with talented people.

A lot of agents/managers..even for major stars...don't know what the [censored] they are doing.

prohornblower
03-10-2007, 04:27 PM
cbloom,
It can't be that easy. I would imagine there are a ton of great screenplays that don't appear so on paper. And some that appear thus, but are not.

And even if you pick a great role, if the direction is crappy, and the supporting cast blows, you are going to come off looking like a tool.

Freakin
03-10-2007, 07:24 PM
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/1791/jaredletfatskinnytransfpj7.jpg
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/5070/jaredletfatskinnytransfbq5.jpg
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/971/jaredletfatskinnytransfxg0.jpg
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/4483/jaredletfatskinnytransfsg9.jpg

Jack of Arcades
03-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Per IMDB, he lost all that way on a Lemon Water and Cayenne Pepper diet in which he fasted for 10 days? wtf. Maybe I'll try that.

Freakin
03-10-2007, 08:44 PM
i have a friend who's done that 'diet'

Borden
03-10-2007, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Per IMDB, he lost all that way on a Lemon Water and Cayenne Pepper diet in which he fasted for 10 days? wtf. Maybe I'll try that.

[/ QUOTE ]

he reportedly gained it by among other things...microwaving two pints of hagandaz choclate icea cream and drinking it like a protein shake...twice a day.

Dominic
03-10-2007, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
cbloom,
It can't be that easy. I would imagine there are a ton of great screenplays that don't appear so on paper. And some that appear thus, but are not.

And even if you pick a great role, if the direction is crappy, and the supporting cast blows, you are going to come off looking like a tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

a bad director or cast can ruin a truly great screenplay.
a bad script will never become a truly great movie, due to "great" direction or acting. It might become watchable, but never great.

Subfallen
03-10-2007, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think OP might have a case of Dr Phil syndrome here: saying completely obvious things while making them sound profound.

[/ QUOTE ]

As opposed to the Daniel Dennett syndrome: saying profound things while making them sound completely obvious. /images/graemlins/heart.gif Daniel Dennett.

Freakin
03-10-2007, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he reportedly gained it by among other things...microwaving two pints of hagandaz choclate icea cream and drinking it like a protein shake...twice a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

A recent discussion with kyleb et al decided that melted icrecream would be the best way to set daily calorie-intake records.

thatpfunk
03-10-2007, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hence the irony of "credit where credit is not due."

i think on 2p2 it should be called Blarg syndrome- an editor's worst nightmare, taking pages and pages to say, well, absolutely nothing except the obvious.

private joker
03-11-2007, 06:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hence the irony of "credit where credit is not due."

i think on 2p2 it should be called Blarg syndrome- an editor's worst nightmare, taking pages and pages to say, well, absolutely nothing except the obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

fish2plus2
03-11-2007, 07:50 AM
is that picture of him with a six pack the before or after pic? isnt he going to have alot of extra skin? how was the movie? i cant imagine doing that to my body. disgusting.

fwiw, i think jared leto is a very good actor.

thatpfunk
03-11-2007, 03:33 PM
sorry pj, i feel like an a-hole. i just didnt agree with the tone of this, i guess. perhaps if it had been more of an open discussion about (in)correct assumptions that we (sub)consciously draw about pop culture it would have prompted the discussion that you were looking for rather than just jared leto talk. as is it just sounded kinda preachy about something that i think a lot of posters here are probably aware of.

jared leto syndrome is a pretty cool name, however.