PDA

View Full Version : frustrating stuff

mvdgaag
03-09-2007, 10:17 AM
This is so frustrating... should i have bet more on the turn? I wanted a call here so I could milk him on the river... But after this bet he must have had KQ or something, or at least a king....

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.02/$0.04
9 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Pre-flop: (9 players) hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif
<font color="#cc0000">hero raises to $0.16</font>, 5 folds, Button calls, 2 folds.

Flop: 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif ($0.38, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">hero bets $0.4</font>, Button calls.

Turn: 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($1.18, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">hero bets $0.6</font>, Button calls.

River: K/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($2.38, 2 players)
hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button is all-in $7.33</font>, hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $7.33 returned to Button.

Results:
Final pot: $2.38

Sigurd
03-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Stack sizes would be nice to know.

I fold the river, even though I can't really figure out what he has. It certainly feels like a monster..

crushednuts
03-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Probably K2 or A2s

Klopzi
03-09-2007, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wanted a call here so I could milk him on the river...

[/ QUOTE ]

You got your call and he most likely hit on the river. You made a plan, you executed, and got unlucky.

mvdgaag
03-09-2007, 10:41 AM
I had about $7 and he had about $8... you can see his last bet was allin. He had me covered, but it was close.

Klopzi: You're saying I did well? Was my plan ok? He was kinda loose, so I figured he'd be holding a weaker king.

Anyways (as the returned money suggested) I folded hoping it wasn't a bluff.

Warteen
03-09-2007, 12:12 PM
My usual line with TPTK in position on a non-drawy board is to bet the flop, check behind on the turn, and call, raise, or bet the river, depending on my opponent. I think this is a good line for pot control against a monster, and to get the opponent to put money in on the river with nothing. This hand seems like a good spot for that line. If the villain still overpushes the river, it's a fold... but it takes a crazy and stupid villain to do that.

Your turn bet is weaksauce. Don't change the size of your bets... you're pricing in a weak hand like a backdoor flush draw, and you're also declaring that you're weak, opening the door for his river push.

As played, you have to fold the river. The only thing you're beating is a busted flush draw or a weaker queen (which makes no sense), but if he had a king in his flush draw, you still lose.

Klopzi
03-09-2007, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Klopzi: You're saying I did well? Was my plan ok? He was kinda loose, so I figured he'd be holding a weaker king.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying that anytime you make a plan and stick to it is good. Planning ahead is a good way to make sure that you're not making snap decisions.

As Warteen said, you could bet a little more on the turn to convey a little more strength. However, if you've got a read and you feel that he'll call a $0.60 bet on the turn and pay you off on the river, then stick to your guns.

Typically, though, it's a little better to bet a little more on the turn if you think your opponent is drawing and won't call a river bet if he/she misses. Although there's still something to be said about pot-size control too.

This is exactly why playing out of position is hard.

mvdgaag
03-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanx a lot all... I see what you are suggesting. Although I wouldn't limp or fold this because I wasn't in position /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Checking the turn in this case would have been a lot better indeed. Since I was OOP, what would I have done when he bet the turn after my check?