PDA

View Full Version : 10NL: medium flush on river facing reraise

dn77
03-09-2007, 03:55 AM
Hi. New to the board. Very little experience with villain, but he is running 37/13/.7 in the 40 or so hands I have. I recognize preflop is terrible, but there has been a lot of limping/calling down with nothing, so I want to see a flop (shame on me). I'm 28/13/1.2 but playing especially passively/terribly tonight for whatever reason. Too tired I guess...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero ($9.20)</font>
SB ($9.90)
BB ($8.95)
UTG ($11.60)
<font color="#C00000">MP ($10)</font>

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.40) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.3</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP calls $0.30.

Turn: ($1) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $2.1</font>, Hero calls $1.50.

Final Pot: $5.20

He played the hand like a typical 10NL flush draw up until the river, but the check-raise threw me off. With my checking on the turn, I feel like he would want to be sure a bet got in there on the river if he made a flush. And I'm clearly beating a ton of hands here.

So call/shove/fold river after check-raise? Anything else to do differently? Or am I being too results-oriented here (you can probably guess what he has)?

Genz
03-09-2007, 04:07 AM
Welcome to the board.

It's not a shame to limp in with some suited hand from the button if you know how to play it. If you think there was too much limping with bad hands going on, I'd raise here to take the hand down or if that doesn't work out, isolate the limper.

I push on the river. For the same reason that you gave: I don't think he would try to check/raise with a made flush on the river after you check behind on the turn. This could be a set or a 2pair, especially when people are playing with air a lot.

pena
03-09-2007, 05:22 AM
A guess:
37/13/x would raise with a any pair on that position. With any suited ace he would raise also.
He's loose enough to open-limp a hands like Q3, Q2, Q9, J9.

I'd push on the river. Likely he has 2 pairs. If he has a bigger flush so be it, bad luck.

corsakh
03-09-2007, 05:24 AM
Easy call.

Galway
03-09-2007, 05:47 AM
I think that a medium sized bet on the turn is correct here.
You have 2nd pair which is nothing stellar but it puts you ahead of drawing hands at this point. In additon big hands like sets will expose themselves (they should have been charging the turn anyways, but this is 10NL). We want to make the villan make a mistake. Therefore causing him to call a 3/4 pot bet is incorrect as well as min-raising a big hand (which you'd call) and then stacking off when you make your flush is incorrect. Consequently if the hand goes Turn: check, bet 3/4 pot, minraise, call
River: check, bet 1/2 pot, shove, you know exactly what youre up against.

As played I just call the river. Nothing you beat is calling a raise and nothing youre behind is folding.

dn77
03-09-2007, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. In retrospect, I'm leaning more towards betting the turn, as the above poster suggested. I'm curious why corsakh thinks this is only an easy call, as opposed to a shove. I don't agree that nothing I beat is folding to a re-raise here, though I would obviously need to know more about the villain to say anything definitive.

Oh, and he had A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Meh...

corsakh
03-09-2007, 06:20 AM
Because I do not see Ace of diamonds on the board. Too many people are playing a-rag suited to the river no matter what. If there were A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the board I shove with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

dn77
03-09-2007, 06:29 AM
Hmm... but I feel that 90+% of the time, Ax/images/graemlins/diamond.gif is going to bet this river OOP with my check behind on the turn. I have given him no reason to suspect that I am going to fire on the river. In the long run, is this really a more profitable play against an unknown at 10NL? A bet on the turn would have probably made this easier.

Genz
03-09-2007, 06:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As played I just call the river. Nothing you beat is calling a raise and nothing youre behind is folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every 2pair will call a shove, every set will call a shove and probably even AQ will call a shove on this limit.
And I don't really like the idea that getting minraised by the set on the turn is a good thing, because it's a mistake or something. People will stack off with sets anyway. So I rather draw cheaply. I don't really want to build a pot in that spot. Because you might get good odds on the call of his minraise, but putting money in by leading out being 80% behind in the first place is a HUGE mistake. After all, you only get 1:1 on the money you are putting in on the turn while you are pretty sure a 4:1 dog. So the call might be good, but the bet is still bad.

Genz
03-09-2007, 06:31 AM
Adding: betting, because you think you are actually ahead is a different story, of course. But in this hand, I don't feel very strong on the turn...

Galway
03-09-2007, 06:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Every 2pair will call a shove, probably even AQ will call a shove on this limit

[/ QUOTE ]
Difference of opinion, I guess. Set I think youre right.

BobAllinSki
03-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Bet the turn, I'm almost tempted to push the river but its a little deep, had the turn been bet then its all in on the river.