PDA

View Full Version : Stoxtrader's new book

James.
03-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Anyone read the excerpt (http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/current/Excerpt0307.html) from the new book in the month's magazine? What did you think? Gonna get the book?

Chino987
03-08-2007, 04:21 PM
the info sounds pretty correct....im not sure much of it is all that new however, at least not in that excerpt. alot of the ideas have been presented before that were in that excerpt, like:

betting the turn for a free showdown
raising turn for a free showdown
waiting for the turn to raise.

The one section that piqued my interest was the part about putting opponents on drawing hands, and waiting for safe cards...as ill post about in a moment

Ricks
03-08-2007, 04:56 PM
He commented in his forum that he did not think that the excerpt was that strong, relative to the rest of the book. He also said, "It is somewhat dense but out of context I don't love it".

I enjoy watching his videos, as well as learning from them, so I plan on getting the book.

edited for my poor grammar

bravos1
03-08-2007, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He commented in his forum that he did not think that the excerpt was that strong, relative to the rest of the book. He also said, "It is somewhat dense but out of context I don't love it".

I enjoy watching his videos, as well as learn from them, so I plan on getting the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was planning on pre-ordering, then read the except, and decided to wait.

I'm actually please to him say this... maybe I'll change my mind again?

Chino987
03-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll wait til it shows up on the shelves at Barnes and Noble and then do some browsing

stoxtrader
03-08-2007, 06:18 PM
This excerpt was taken from a section of the book where we talk about using different "lines" with different types of hands/situations. It is difficult to both cover dense material that is valuable to strong players and concurrently produce something that reads well.

It is my opinion that section is strong but dense, and taken out of context as it is does not read as well as other parts of the book.

I will be interested to hear the early reviews from the entire book. From what I have heard, David and Mason can be tough during the editing process, but our experience was that structural the book passed their inspection with very little substantive change. I think this speaks well to the quality of the text.

ill rich
03-08-2007, 07:52 PM
i think their approach to the game is borderline and will cause many average and good players to lose money.

their strategies would seem to only fit the already expert player.

James.
03-08-2007, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This excerpt was taken from a section of the book where we talk about using different "lines" with different types of hands/situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

who chose the excerpt? you or the magazine guy(Dynasty?)or someone else? i liked what i read, fwiw. it seemed to convey specific ideas in a pretty succinct manner.

i look forward to seeing some of your other "takes" on common situations, particularly shorthanded vs. tough players in especially marginal spots or those that deal with proper frequencies of mixing certain plays. sometimes, whether i agree with it or not, reading things like this gets me thinking about why/how i do certain things at certain times and can help me reevaluate some of the fundamental theory behind what i am trying to do. i'm sort of excited. if nothing else so i have an additional book to inject into my "circle of reading" which is basically TOP, HPFAP, SSHE and mason's poker essays over and over and over and over.

22pajo
03-09-2007, 05:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone read the excerpt (http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/current/Excerpt0307.html) from the new book in the month's magazine? What did you think? Gonna get the book?

[/ QUOTE ]
What game / limit is the book aimed at?
Sorry cant get to the above link as i'm at work and its blocked.

James.
03-09-2007, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What game / limit is the book aimed at?
Sorry cant get to the above link as i'm at work and its blocked.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's aimed at tougher, shorthanded games i believe. just go to this month's 2p2 magazine to read the excerpt. i wouldn't discount it's worth in reading just because it isn't aimed directly at the games i/you/we play. hopefully it discusses situations that, when put in the proper context, will help us understand how we need to be thinking and why we need to be thinking that way. or it's a bunch of fluff that won't help us at all. i'll probably still buy it.

stoxtrader
03-09-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm not sure who chose the excerpt.

The book is written for a high level of poker, but that is too say we hope to discuss common subjects and strategies that occur in all games at a high level of proficiency. In other words, we hope the book will add value to already winning high limit players, but not because we share strategies specific to high stakes but because we share strategies specific to all of LHE and try to do so at a very high level. Not sure if that is clear but my point is that I believe players of all levels can benefit from the text if they are willing to work at it.

Bob T.
03-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Books, cost $20-30. All they have to do is get you a couple of big bets, and you break even. Even horrible poker books, usually have that much good material, or that much insight into how some players play or think.

I expect that this book will probably have a lot more good material than that.

Bob T. (Owner of more than 50 poker books)

KKKKJIM
03-09-2007, 12:02 PM
I am sure this book will have plenty of material that I will be able to think about and use to apply to or modify my game.

I will get it as soon as its available.

Dynasty
03-11-2007, 05:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This excerpt was taken from a section of the book where we talk about using different "lines" with different types of hands/situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

who chose the excerpt? you or the magazine guy(Dynasty?)or someone else? i liked what i read, fwiw. it seemed to convey specific ideas in a pretty succinct manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason chose the excerpt.

James.
03-11-2007, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason chose the excerpt.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks. nice job on the mag btw.