PDA

View Full Version : $10NL - Extracting Value from Large Pocket Pairs (Aces)

Learning
03-05-2007, 01:37 AM
Full Tilt Poker
$0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Ring Game
4 Players
LegoPoker Hand Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
BTN: $10.50
SB: $7.45
Hero (BB): $10.65
UTG: $1.70

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> A/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($0.15, 4 players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $0.35</font>, SB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, BTN folds
Uncalled bet of $0.40 returned to Hero

For the past week, EVERY time I get a big pair and re-raise just over a minraise (which is the right play, right?) they instafold. How do I go about getting more value from these starting hands while still protecting myself from trash?

Supwithbates
03-05-2007, 01:39 AM
just call the minraise and check/call the flop to disguise your hand.
If it checks through on the flop, then put out a mini-bet on the turn to see if you get any callers.
Open shove any river

MrMxyztplk
03-05-2007, 01:40 AM
Raise more PF.

Are you ONLY reraising AA? I know this is 10NL, but you should probably reraise at least KK+/AK.

Learning
03-05-2007, 01:44 AM
I raise 3BB everytime I raise preflop (disguises hand), and I raise with mid/high SC, any pocket pair down to 7's (limp with lower), and AJ/AQ/AK.

I just seem to have a hard time at some of these FT uNL tables. Unlike a lot of other sites, these guys seem REALLY tight.

MrMxyztplk
03-05-2007, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I raise 3BB everytime I raise (disguises hand), and I raise with mid/high SC, any pocket pair down to 7's (limp with lower), and AJ/AQ/AK.

I just seem to have a hard time at some of these FT uNL tables. Unlike a lot of other sites, these guys seem REALLY tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute. Are we clear on this? Do you RAISE these hands or REraise these hands?

If you are REraising a healthy range, then the fact that your aces are being folded to is just variance. If you're not REraising enough hands, then they're putting you squarely on a big hand every time you REraise and (correctly) folding.

evazan
03-05-2007, 01:49 AM
If the players are seeming to be more tight you have to adjust your game to the table. If your 3 bet range is AA/KK the rest of the table will pick up on this. This doesn't mean to start playing like a maniac but if a 3 bet will usually get everyone to fold then 3 bet more often. They will eventually pick up on it and start calling lighter.

Also raise more pf. It is not correct to raise just a little more then the minraise. I would probably raise this up to at least a dollar.

Learning
03-05-2007, 01:50 AM
Those are original raises. I only reraise when I've got the goods, but these guys haven't seen me reraise before.

Marshall28
03-05-2007, 01:52 AM
you really want to play different hands the same, so whatever you raise when u have 77, or AJ or whatever is the same amount you should raise when you have AA. without realizing it,you are giving your opponents better implied odds to see a flop and catch a hand thats beats yours.

i will go entire days where i play 3k hands, pick up aces 15 times, and play 1 pot past the flop. i dont quite get it but its just the way it goes, dont trip about it.

MrMxyztplk
03-05-2007, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Those are original raises. I only reraise when I've got the goods, but these guys haven't seen me reraise before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please define "the goods".

Learning
03-05-2007, 01:55 AM
A made hand that is very likely to win, or a monster draw with 10+ outs.

MrMxyztplk
03-05-2007, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A made hand that is very likely to win, or a monster draw with 10+ outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm talking about reraising preflop only. What hands do you reraise preflop?

Learning
03-05-2007, 02:03 AM
My apologies. Reraising preflop is pretty much contained to AA/KK/QQ/AK for most. I'll reraise maniacs or bad LAGs with JJ/TT/AQ/AJ.

MrMxyztplk
03-05-2007, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My apologies. Reraising preflop is pretty much contained to AA/KK/QQ/AK for most. I'll reraise maniacs or bad LAGs with JJ/TT/AQ/AJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty good. Then this "everyone folds to my AA reraise preflop" is just bad luck. They'll start calling again...

Learning
03-05-2007, 02:06 AM
Meh. Alright.

Thanks for the input!