PDA

View Full Version : 10NL UB - re-raised pre-flop but checks the flop

Crimsonjade
03-05-2007, 01:32 AM
Villain is 62 / 7 / 1.16 over 59 hands. My notes say that he likes to go to showdown if he has a pair or better.

When he repopped me preflop I called behind for set value. However when he checked the turn I felt that he could be scared of the king. I also thought my 99 might hold up against whatever he has. Is this line fine or should I be check folding when my set does not hit against the reraiser?

Ultimate Bet
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05./$0.10.
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $10.63
UTG+1: $5.46
Hero: $10.65
Button: $4.94
SB: $11.93
BB: $1.46

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.4</font>, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $0.7</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($1.5, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $1</font>, SB calls.

Turn: 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($3.5, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $2</font>, SB calls.

River: 3/images/graemlins/club.gif ($7.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks.

Results:
Final pot: $7.5

Marshall28
03-05-2007, 01:34 AM
hmmm, ok ... so he 3bet u but then checked the flop. i dont fault the fact that you try to represent the king and take it away from him (though i woulda bet a little bigger) ... however, after he calls you should probably take that as your cue to shut down. the 2 on the turn didnt change anything in his mind about the hand, so if he thinks he was ahead on the flop, hes not going to have any reason to think hes not ahead on the turn ...

by the way the hand played out it looks like he might have had a pair of queens or jacks or whatever.

MrMxyztplk
03-05-2007, 01:38 AM
I like the flop bet... usually. The turn bet is excessive. I'd probably check it down.

Now with QQ (or a K) this becomes more interesting. Given your read, I'd put him on something like TT-QQ (so when you have QQ, it's more likely TT-JJ). In that case, you might want to bet flop, check turn, small bet river to get a bit of extra value. If he likes to see a showdown, he will usually always call a tiny bet and never think about raising (without the nuts).