PDA

View Full Version : New Poster. Intro and first question

Sdrive
03-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Hello everyone, as you can see, i'm new to the site although I've been lurking on and off for a few months now.

I finally started to take poker seriously after seeing what aba and durr can do in the first 2 months of 2007. Biggest winners, 2 months of 2007 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=9382819&an=0&page=2#Post 9382819)

So i just bought SSHE, NLHE Theory and Practice, HOH V1,2&3, and Theory of Poker by Sklansky. And in SSHE the first couple pages talk about pot odds, implied odds, and such and I was wondering, do you guys really consider this when playing? Like i know when drawing everyone obviously refers to odds somewhat but for most hands pre-flop, do the best players really think about all this?

Also, SSHE seems like it's not really for NLHE. So does that mean preflop hand selection for NLHE is generally more loose than limit?

also, i play on bodog 25max so if anyone else plays on bodog and needs a study partner.. or would like to review sessions/stats, pm me

barryc83
03-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Welcome. Yes you should def consider odds when playing. Say youre playing 6max 25nl on bodog. You open raise with 99 to $1 and the next player to act reraises you to $4. Assuming hes unknown you can probably assume his range is JJ+/AK. So youre 1:1 (50%) against AK and 4:1 dog against JJ+ (20%). If you weight all of these hands equally:

.20*(4/5)+.50(1/5)=.26

So you will win about 26% of the time against this range or youre a 3:1 dog. Now the pot is $5 and you have to call $3 more so youre pot odds are 1.33:1. So if you correctly assess this guys reraising range pf, you will lose long term by making this call. The hard part is correctly guessing his range.

Anyways read this forum and small stakes and you will understand all about odds eventually.

Everlong
03-04-2007, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hello everyone, as you can see, i'm new to the site although I've been lurking on and off for a few months now.

I finally started to take poker seriously after seeing what aba and durr can do in the first 2 months of 2007. Biggest winners, 2 months of 2007 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=9382819&an=0&page=2#Post 9382819)

So i just bought SSHE, NLHE Theory and Practice, HOH V1,2&3, and Theory of Poker by Sklansky. And in SSHE the first couple pages talk about pot odds, implied odds, and such and I was wondering, do you guys really consider this when playing? Like i know when drawing everyone obviously refers to odds somewhat but for most hands pre-flop, do the best players really think about all this?

Also, SSHE seems like it's not really for NLHE. So does that mean preflop hand selection for NLHE is generally more loose than limit?

also, i play on bodog 25max so if anyone else plays on bodog and needs a study partner.. or would like to review sessions/stats, pm me

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome!

1. Yes, without potodds you have no efficient way of playing draws or any hand basically in the long run. But that doesn't mean you have to make 100% exact calculations at the table. I make rough pot-odds estimates which suffice.

2. Pre-flop hands selection is pretty much covered in the sticky I believe. It's a matter of style too.

3. Yay Bodog. You have chosen a soft site to start out at which is good.

Good luck in your quest for cash/hookers/blow /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sdrive
03-04-2007, 08:12 PM
i'm more lost than i thought. I thought since you're getting 33% on your money (5$ pot, 3$ to call) it's better since you're up against 26%?

barryc83
03-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Sorry man I messed my math up.

5/3= 1.66. So youre getting 1.66:1 pots odds or 38% equity(1/2.66). That means you have to win this hand 38% of the time for this call to be breakeven or EV=0. Youre only going to win the hand in actuality 26% of the time so its a bad call or EV<0.

Triggerle
03-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Be a bit careful with the pot odds stuff in SSHE. Not that it is wrong (it is definitely right) but SSHE is geared towards limit play and pot odds are substantially more important in limit than in no limit. In limit there is only so much you can make in a hand because of the forced betting structure so it is much more important that you consider pot odds. Best example are small pocket pairs. In limit if you are faced with a raise and everyone else folds it is almost never right to play small pocket pairs. You get bad pot odds and can never make the money back that you have to call because small pocket pairs only flop a big hand very seldomly. In no limit you might win the opponents whole stack the few times you flop big with a pocket pair so you can make up for a lot of calls with that.

With that in mind, however, SSHE contains a lot of very valuable information for no limit players.

Sdrive
03-04-2007, 08:37 PM
another quick question.. for pokertracker, should I be collecting hands when there are at least "x" amount of people at the table? So that my stats at 25nl/50nlaren't skewed because of a certain timeframe when i played heads up at 6max table?