PDA

View Full Version : 25NL TPGK + BD-Draw against resistance

Genz
03-04-2007, 07:05 PM
I need to fix holes in my postflop play. I've been playing break-even/slightly losing for too many hands now, imo. So...

I've been abusing the button quite a bit in that session. I was pounding on a player on my direct right who was very weak postflop. So I've been isolating him very often and taken pots away from him on the flop. That player is gone now, but my image probably still remains.
At the time, I didn't have stats on villain. But he made a weak postflop impression on me. At least he folded almost all my cbets. But I think I have seen him bet hands against other opponents. So he might be on a fit or fold strategy.

Because of my image I assumed that he was just sick of me raising in position so often. So I call. I don't know about my postflop play though. I went along with my read that he might be just sick of me, so I call and want to reevaluate on the turn. There I pick up the flushdraw and he makes a weakish bet. River is ugly and his bet makes me think that he wanted me to stay in the pot on the turn, so his limp reraise preflop probably actually means AA, KK, AK. Standard on all streets?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP ($14.71)
Hero ($28.10)
SB ($26.91)
BB ($35.20)
UTG ($10.92)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $2.25</font>, Hero calls $1.

Flop: ($4.85) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2.

Turn: ($8.85) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2.

River: ($12.85) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP calls $14.71 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $27.56

Triggerle
03-04-2007, 07:17 PM
You not only have a BD draw but also a gutshot draw. On the turn you have 15 outs, although I would discount a couple. I might think about raising the turn, especially after his weak bet.

[ QUOTE ]
Because of my image I assumed that he was just sick of me raising in position so often.

[/ QUOTE ]
Be careful with that.

Genz
03-04-2007, 07:29 PM
I am carefull with that assumption, but I was really raising a lot. That's why I play the hand passively. I think there is a good chance that he wasn't raising light and I'm at least in kicker trouble.

So if I assume he is sick of my plays, shouldn't I call and invite him to bluff at me, because the board is so coordinated and scary looking that he probably won't call with a weak hand and I have good outs if I'm behind and have no inclination to end the hand right now?

If he actually waited for a good spot to teach me a lesson, shouldn't I be less inclined to raise here, since he might play back with a hand stronger than mine, i.e. AA, KK, AK?

I don't claim that my call was the result of a elaborate thought process. More like "Oh, I have a draw now and his bet is small, I call!" But in hindsight, I think a call is better in both scenarios. Do you agree? I'd love to hear a contra.

futuredoc85
03-04-2007, 07:42 PM
this hand is played fine, these tiny bets in a RR pot are often the nuts anyway. RE-your image: i wouldnt give many 25NL players credit for adjusting to you by 3-betting light

Triggerle
03-04-2007, 08:13 PM
By raising the turn to something like $8 (basically treating his small bet as a check) you might discourage him from pushing the river. Of course, this is in hindsight.

Genz
03-05-2007, 02:18 AM
The converter obviously messed up. Villain started the hand with ~15, invested ~6 up to now. So when I raise him to 8 on the turn, he has only a little less than 3 left. I don't feel like I have a lot of fold equity. So he'll probably just push right there and then I have to call and have spent another 9 on a hand where I should have believed his limp/reraise in the first place, probably.

Marshall28
03-05-2007, 02:26 AM
OP, your thought process and play of the hand is right on.

orange
03-05-2007, 05:36 AM
Played fine.