PDA

View Full Version : Should i play this stronger against a calling station?

Aschweinsteiger
03-04-2007, 02:06 AM
Villan has seen 100% of the flops since ive been at the table and hasnt raised preflop once, he limps in and calls any size raise. His post flop play i can only describe as random and confusing. I know hes a calling station and ive been playing very cautous against him because i havent got any solid betting patterns on him yet, and hes been known to bet anywhere form the minimum to all his money at any time.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($9.10)
CO :#A500AF(villan)/ ($126.10)
Button ($51.50)
SB ($29.30)
Hero ($106.70)
UTG ($68.15)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO :#A500AF(villan)/ calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $2, CO :#A500AF(villan)/ calls $2.

Flop: ($7.75) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">villan bets $5</font>, Button folds, Hero calls $5.

Turn: ($17.75) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, villan checks.

River: ($17.75) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">villan raises to $38</font>, Hero calls $28.

Final Pot: $93.75

I was planing a check raise on the turn, but he checked it back to me. I thought for sure i need to value bet this in case he had a Q. When he riased me so big i thought it was possible that he had a flush also because he checked the turn. But knowing that he would probably raise me with a Q, i decided to just call because i wasnt 100% sure he would call an all in reraise by me here without at least a flush.

crushednuts
03-04-2007, 02:10 AM
flop check okay (but does anyone like a CR here?), def Bet pot on turn with intention of calling a shove
As played, I think a river call is good considering how deep you are.

Also, PF is sketchy out of position against that big of a raise.

I think if you call this PF you MUST play it stronger..

Sorcerer808
03-04-2007, 02:13 AM
I like your line a lot, I'd play it in the same way but I'd probably lead the turn if he's not so aggro (Calling Stations tend to be passive)

crushednuts
03-04-2007, 02:15 AM
you would call 5x BB raise OOP with a 98s and then c/c when you flop a pair and a FD?

crushednuts
03-04-2007, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like your line a lot, I'd play it in the same way but I'd probably lead the turn if he's not so aggro
(Calling Stations tend to be passive)

[/ QUOTE ]
you have two pair and a flush draw! Why wouldn't you lead with the intention of raising AI?

Sorcerer808
03-04-2007, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you would call 5x BB raise OOP with a 98s and then c/c when you flop a pair and a FD?

[/ QUOTE ]

if the guy won't fold now and will call me down if I hit one of my outs why not?

Sorcerer808
03-04-2007, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like your line a lot, I'd play it in the same way but I'd probably lead the turn if he's not so aggro (Calling Stations tend to be passive)

[/ QUOTE ] if he's not so aggro

you have two pair and a flush draw! Why wouldn't you lead with the intention of raising AI?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I think we must lead turn you're right

Aschweinsteiger
03-04-2007, 02:23 AM
he actually had 2Q

crushednuts
03-04-2007, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

if the guy won't fold now and will call me down if I hit one of my outs why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because, unless he has a set you have some pretty solid equity against his range. Even if he has a set, you have tons of outs. What do you do if the turn is a king of diamonds? I like to raise it on the flop against a likely C-bet or AK and take down a big pot with a flush or two pair...You are actually ahead against many hands that won't fold here. plus, if he calls and you hit one of your outs you can get more money from someone who won't put you on a flush

Sorcerer808
03-04-2007, 02:24 AM
lol

crushednuts
03-04-2007, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
lol

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad, didn't see the post about Q2

Aschweinsteiger
03-04-2007, 02:25 AM
you guys have commented about how i shouldve played it more aggresive and bet the turn, which i agree that betting the turn would be much more effective and lucrative. But what about the river action?
He raised my river bet from 10 to 38, do you think i shouldve went all in there, just called, or is there any chance that a fold would be the correct play?

crushednuts
03-04-2007, 02:26 AM
double post

crushednuts
03-04-2007, 02:27 AM
I think your river call was fine (i said that earlier) you are both pretty deep and I think you will only get called by a higher flush if you raise.. Obviously he wouldn't have called w/ a Q2

Aschweinsteiger
03-04-2007, 02:29 AM
ok ty

Aschweinsteiger
03-04-2007, 02:30 AM
if you were me would you even consider folding my hand to that big raise on the river?

Sorcerer808
03-04-2007, 02:30 AM
I get your point crushed but against that type of opponent, I try to reduce variance and just get paid off when I hit. And I think that on the flop there is near 0 FE, these guys wont fold AK there, they wanna go AI with it...

Sorcerer808
03-04-2007, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if you were me would you even consider folding my hand to that big raise on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

not to that kind drunk/crazy guy

crushednuts
03-04-2007, 02:37 AM
A fold would be WAY too weak. If you were going to fold, you should have done it PF, not after you made your hand on the river..

orange
03-04-2007, 07:13 AM
ugh not getting it in here (somewhere in the hand) is a crime.

pf is marginal at best.

flop should be a c/r imo. sometimes a c/c is fine though vs. a calling station, just wait until you hit and vb him to death. only reason why i like c/r-ing sometimes here is that it SOMETIMES pushes him off better hands (ie. J), builds the pot a bit larger, etc.

anyways, i would lead the turn for $15 most times. It would suck to get raised, not sure what I would do. Depends how passive he is I think. check/call again might work, but just know that your implied odds aren't great (if he can read hands to a very small degree) and you wont get paid when you hit your flush.

your river line is good. I would really really want to shove the river...but again, it depends on what type of player he is and how bad he really is. if he'll do this with any Q, regardless of the flush, then shoving is obviously best.

Freelancer
03-04-2007, 07:24 AM
fold preflop
c/r the flop
bet the turn
and push the river.

BobAllinSki
03-04-2007, 07:47 AM
he sees 100% of flops you beat most flushes (in the situation where villain wont fold a flush and could have any two suited having the flush cards higher than yours helps your hand as it leaves more combinations of flushes lower than yours, here only a A high or Q high beats you) and he isnt folding any of them, nor is he folding trips or 2 pair here so a push is fine.

As for the play of the hand I'd fold it pre, your position sucks and it hurts you during the hand. On the flop I quiet like leading it, you definately want to start building a pot with this hand but its annoying been out of position, having bottom pair adds a lot of power to your hand with position as you can often show it down to win unimproved but out of position that is much harder. On advantage of leading into a calling station and a reasonable pre flop raiser is that the station will do what stations do best and the pre flop raiser will often raise if he has connected allowing you to push with a lot of dead money in the pot and reasonable fold equity, if the station calls and the raiser folds then you are likely tossing a coin with a reasonable amount of dead money in the pot, if the station folds then the raiser is going to have a tough decision with AK because a raise like that into a station is representing some real strength.

If everyone just calls pop another bet at the turn, you want a 2/3 to full pot sized bet left on the river, a) to give you value when called and b) to offer you some protection from been bluffed off your pair of nines when you miss the river and check.

Montezuma21
03-04-2007, 07:53 AM
i like your flop check against this player. you're deep stacked and you have nor reason to believe you have much FE against this guy. turn is okay too, i guess. if you lead and get RRd you're in a tough spot, so i guess a CR is best. As played you really must raise river

Check_The_Nuts
03-04-2007, 12:17 PM
yeah when I first read this post I thought check/raising pot on the flop is ideal here. Especially since he may fold a better hand (like a J) as orange said. He'll hold onto kings but whatever, at least this way we get half our stack in with very good equity.

humm its kinda weird, but since he's willing to pay off after the flush hits, it may be better to check call. All the same not betting the turn is pretty blah, I'd half pot that turn.