PDA

View Full Version : 10NL: Flopped straight and third heart hits river.

Sean Fraley
03-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Villain is 70/13/1.5 who loves to call with almost all of his draws. Though I've not see him check-raise on anything but the flop, I thought he might have been drawing to the flush and would go for a check-raise since I had bet the flop and turn. Is checking behind here to weak?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">SB ($15.25)</font>
BB ($10)
UTG ($7.15)
MP ($9)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($9.95)</font>

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, SB calls $0.45, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds.

Flop: ($1.20) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.95</font>, SB calls $0.95.

Turn: ($3.10) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.9</font>, SB calls $2.90.

River: ($8.90) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero ???

allaboutmyfetti
03-03-2007, 09:31 PM
wat was villian's w2sd? A value bet is in order here

diditmyway
03-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Post deleted by diditmyway

allaboutmyfetti
03-03-2007, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what does 70/13/1.5 mean? ive searched the faq, couldnt find it.

[/ QUOTE ]
PA-HUD/PT stats

vpip / pfr / af

diditmyway
03-03-2007, 09:41 PM
found it when looking up what w2sd meant...didndt find that one though =)

allaboutmyfetti
03-03-2007, 09:46 PM
went 2 showdown

Entropy4
03-03-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm putting the rest of my stack in here. If he's got it, he's got it.

Sean Fraley
03-03-2007, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

About 44%. In the end, he had A5 and called down with the OESD. As soon as I checked I thought it was a pretty weaksauce move. Posted the hand to see if anyone else thought the same.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm putting the rest of my stack in here. If he's got it, he's got it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slow down there skippy. This guys went to showdown was a bit high, but based on what I had seen he would call the flop with a draw, maybe AK, but not just whiffed overcards. He folded less than top pair before showdown, raised or check-raised top pair but never check-called it. The only two pair hand I had seen him have he shoved on the flop. A set would likely have resulted in a raise at some point. Therefore, his check-call line pretty much screams "I have a draw to a big hand". If he has a whiffed straight draw he's not likely to be calling a 2/3 pot bet, and if he was drawing to the flush a shove would basically be saying "that suckout was so heroic that you deserve the rest of my stack as payment". Taking an extra 10 seconds to think before deciding to shove everything in the middle when the last card you could possibly want to see hits the board might improve your winrate a bit.

That having been said though, I probably should have included this whole chunk of info in the original post.

Check_The_Nuts
03-03-2007, 11:31 PM
sean - the key to beating fisherman is value towning the flop and turn and bluffing the river. Its obvious why...

this is the reason I don't bet river without a flush...

Sean Fraley
03-03-2007, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sean - the key to beating fisherman is value towning the flop and turn and bluffing the river. Its obvious why...

this is the reason I don't bet river without a flush...

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked the river. I assume this means that you agree with that?

Check_The_Nuts
03-03-2007, 11:37 PM
yeah...

allaboutmyfetti
03-03-2007, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

About 44%. In the end, he had A5 and called down with the OESD. As soon as I checked I thought it was a pretty weaksauce move. Posted the hand to see if anyone else thought the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

yikes, villian is a giant show-down monkey. As someone else posted you need to value bet these guys to death since they draw so hard. With a 44%SD, it's safe to say that villian isn't always drawing to a flush here (he could be calling with any piece), so you really need to value bet this guy since there's a decent chance he randomly caught a pair, 2 pair.

Sean Fraley
03-04-2007, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yikes, villian is a giant show-down monkey. As someone else posted you need to value bet these guys to death since they draw so hard. With a 44%SD, it's safe to say that villian isn't always drawing to a flush here (he could be calling with any piece), so you really need to value bet this guy since there's a decent chance he randomly caught a pair, 2 pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind, I did value bet him on both the flop and the turn. The only reasons that I didn't make another bet on the river is because

1) My read told me that he was drawing.

2) An obvious draw came in that beat my straight.

When he checked the river, I had to think for a bit before checking. If the flush had not come in, it would have been a no brainer to make a value bet. The fact that the flush did come in, and the fact that villain had shown in previous hands that he liked check-raises against aggressive opponents is the reason that I checked. The more I think about the hand, the more I think that my check was OK with the information I had. I definitely see where you are coming from though, and was really close to making that bet.