PDA

View Full Version : 10NL (9 handed): KJ suited miss the draw on River

Jay.Yang
03-03-2007, 05:35 PM
No particular read on the Villain.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($7.05)
SB ($4.95)
BB ($22.25)
UTG ($11)
Hero ($14.25)
MP1 ($9.90)
MP2 ($12.95)
MP3 ($10.45)
CO ($10.45)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.40) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $0.4</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls $0.20.

Turn: ($1.20) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($1.20) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.4</font>, CO calls $0.40.

Final Pot: $2

Two questions...
1. Should I re-raise villain on Flop?
2. Since he shows weakness by min-raise me on Flop and check the Turn, is it a good spot for me to bluff bet him on River as I did here?

Thanks

Nick C
03-03-2007, 05:42 PM
The river bet isn't really much of a bluff. I doubt Villain is folding anything that beats you for just $0.40 more, gettting 4:1.

I'm not really recommending betting more, though. I would just check instead, planning to fold to a bet with any substance to it. (I probably would call versus a min-bet, though, hoping to snap off a bluff from a lower flush draw, planning to get annoyed if that flush draw is, for instance, 9c7c.)

Earlier, I think just calling the flop min-raise is fine.

BishopsFinger
03-03-2007, 05:47 PM
well to start i dont like open calling - if youre going to be in a pot then open for a raise. limping behind another or in position is ok but youre not in either of these situations here.

you pick up a draw and see 2 checks so betting out is ok here and the flop call to his minraise is all good.

i would just check the turn and river though and lay it down to a bet of any real significance (if you miss of course).

the odds youre laying to him here are immense on the end. also with a bluff of only 40 cents a lot of players at these limits think in absolute terms and will be happy to call down that bet with an enormous range of weak hands - all of which beat you. if youre going to bluff do it with more - but as a general rule here dont bluff at all.

Jay.Yang
03-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Thx. I agree River bluff bet with 4:1 is a bad play. However I still think re-raise him on Flop with ~$1 is also optional, since there's a big chance that he'll fold his hand. Even if he called, I also have ~11 outs or so to improve to flush or straight. No?

BishopsFinger
03-03-2007, 07:10 PM
true but you dont have a hand here - and building a bigger pot when you may be drawing to a non-nut flush isnt too too wise.also if you reraise then the honus is on you to bet on the turn and this will mean putting even more in the middle with air if a dud comes.

im not saying reraising is an awful thing to do but in this spot i lean towards calling much more.
if he has a tendency to raise to buy the free river card with draws then this outcome (you drawing againt an axc hand) is more likely. that said your draw is probably good

BishopsFinger
03-03-2007, 07:11 PM
just realised how srambled that last post was - sorry.
i think you still get what im saying about the draw though

Jay.Yang
03-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Yeah. I didn't think about the Turn play if the guy called me on Flop and I didn't improve on Turn. You are right, I would be in a tough situation. Just feel like calling his min-raise with a strong draw is quite a weak play = )

BishopsFinger
03-03-2007, 07:26 PM
i know im a newbie an all but just to say in general, try to think about lines to adopt on a hand - what youre going to do all the way to the end rather than what youre just doing on this street. think about what youre going to do if certain cards come up and he still calls/raises or whatever.

will help with decision making and hopefully help define your play better.

Jay.Yang
03-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Thx, BishopsFinger! It helped immensely!