PDA

View Full Version : NL50: AK in RR pot, cbet this?

barryc83
03-03-2007, 02:55 AM
Villain is 15/12/2 over 111 hands. I havent seen him do anything out of the ordinary at all, so no real reads on him just typical raise, cbet type stuff. Who cbets here and why?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($52.10)
BB ($30.20)
UTG ($53.75)
MP ($51.75)
Hero ($77.55)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $5.

Flop: ($14.75) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero ???

davidyang
03-03-2007, 03:09 AM
I definitely check this flop. I really don't think we're going to get him to fold anything that he calls a 3bet preflop with except maybe AK.

pavey21
03-03-2007, 03:09 AM
I Cbet like 2/3 pot every time I 3 bet preflop just to keep my range as open as possible. If there was an exception though it might be this board though, its super wet and I think it hits a lot of his range. AQ folds and so do smaller PPs he was playing for set equity.

to make a long story short, im cbetting 9 or 10 and just giving up if he calls or RRs

ICantCash
03-03-2007, 03:10 AM
If I 3-bet preflop and am heads up to the flop, I c-bet every flop regardless of how it comes down. Not betting this flop makes you very exploitable, and long run this will be a winning play.

Sir Winalot
03-03-2007, 07:03 AM
I would probably c-bet something around 10 and expect him to fold missed pocket pairs and overcards. If I'm called I'm not putting any more money in the pot. No shame in just giving up though.

whoisthedrizzle
03-03-2007, 07:11 AM
I c-bet here to make him fold pocket pairs that didn't connect as well as to get him off a split if he has AK. I think a bet of 10 is enough to get him to fold those hands, and if he calls just shut down.

_TKO_
03-03-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm cbetting most of my range here, so I'd throw one out here as well. His range definately include pairs below JJ, as well as AK, and possibly some bigger suited As as well. I'd also check behind some pairs and good draws. Checking here is basically a decision that says he had you beat preflop, and it's just too hard to know that, so I bet.

barryc83
03-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Yeah I'm cbetting almost all of the time when I whiff in a RR pot, but this time I didnt bc any pair 88-AA is calling/raising me. Also, being that this guy was a TAGnit, I didnt think that he would have the balls to fire out on the turn with AK/AQ, so I thought a cbet would never get any better hands to fold and that he wouldnt bluff in a RR pot. By the responses in this thread, maybe I shouldve just cbet it.

davidyang
03-03-2007, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I'm cbetting almost all of the time when I whiff in a RR pot, but this time I didnt bc any pair 88-AA is calling/raising me. Also, being that this guy was a TAGnit, I didnt think that he would have the balls to fire out on the turn with AK/AQ, so I thought a cbet would never get any better hands to fold and that he wouldnt bluff in a RR pot. By the responses in this thread, maybe I shouldve just cbet it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a very good analysis of the hand. I think, unlike everyone else who has posted on this hand, checking is good here. I'm not saying that you should check with AK every time you're in a RRed pot but I think under these circumstances, a check here is best.

ImprovinNewbie
03-03-2007, 04:55 PM
sure make it 12?

eviljeff
03-03-2007, 05:05 PM
this is one of the rare occasions I'll consider just giving up right away with whiffed overs. you hit nothing, the boord is super coordinated, and your opponent is likely to have at least a piece.

that being said, firing 2/3 once can't be a terrible play vs a likely nit as he's folding a bunch of pairs. also in general you have a lot more fold equity in rr pots.

I think it's close, so I'd probably let me own table image be the deciding factor. if you've been pushing the table around, go ahead and check. if you've been solid, fire away.