PDA

View Full Version : Pinky Ring?

StLouisMike
02-12-2006, 02:17 AM
Any of the older posters here care to share the reason that a lot of gamblers wear them? Seems odd that this is in the psychology forum but, I just wanna know what makes these guys particular to them.

Nut4Dawgs
02-12-2006, 02:54 AM
1950, I'm 12 and learning to shoot pool. (do the math) Most of the best sticks had pinky rings. Looked so cool! But they also wound up in pawn shops on occasion. They were insurance for financing the next rack.

Got my first one (custom made, brushed white gold, blue sapphire, row of diamond chips) in '64. At that time they were in fashion even for non-gamblers.

Bling is still used to stake the next game after a bust out. But it mostly represents success. No diff than the Benz AMG, BMW 750. "Hey, I don't tawk'a good game, lookit my stuff!"

phydaux
02-12-2006, 11:55 AM
I can see the idea of always having something to pawn in the event of a bustout, however "back in the day" when a lot of the ol' timers like Doyle & Amarillo Slim were playing on the road, some players would turn their shinny, flat-topped pinkey rings upside down and use them as a twinkle when they delt.

Not that Doyle, Slim or Sailor Robins would ever do such a think themselves mind you, but Doyle does make a point that, back in the day, you had to first learn how not to get cheated, THEN you learned how to play.

I know if I were playing in a cash game in a bar, home or frat house that I wouldn't insist someone with a pinkey ring take it off, but I might fold every hand the wearer delt.

_TKO_
02-13-2006, 02:01 AM
Helps balance the long pinky nail.

gilbert
02-13-2006, 03:16 PM
if you're going to have a combover and a cigar, a pinky ring is just natural.

wildzer0
02-13-2006, 03:55 PM
This thread just makes me want a slick pinky ring even more.