PDA

View Full Version : From negative positions to positive explorations

Nielsio
02-28-2007, 10:47 PM
We talk and read so often about what things we ought to reject. And even our positions are defined negatively: a-theism, an-archy. We're also very much against corruption and abuse in relationships and against corruption and obscuring of knowledge.

But it could be well interesting to explore and position ourselves in a positive way: what are the things that we DO love and enjoy?

Cumulonimbus
02-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Cake. I love cake. Mmmmmmmm cake.

NeBlis
03-01-2007, 12:39 AM
I /images/graemlins/heart.gif A-pple pie........... pie

Siegmund
03-01-2007, 12:59 AM
This is a fine moment to make more people aware of an idea due to Richard Rhodes. I've always found it irksome that people call my preferred literature "non-fiction" as if there were something lacking from it. As a kid I called the two big book categories "fiction and faction." Rhodes has been promoting the term "verity," which is rather more elegant-sounding.

madnak
03-01-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm a sexist!

...Wait.

arahant
03-01-2007, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a fine moment to make more people aware of an idea due to Richard Rhodes. I've always found it irksome that people call my preferred literature "non-fiction" as if there were something lacking from it. As a kid I called the two big book categories "fiction and faction." Rhodes has been promoting the term "verity," which is rather more elegant-sounding.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of people find it irksome when someone attempts to coin a new word for the sole purpose of replacing one that everyone already uses and understands, simply because they don't like the etiology.