PDA

View Full Version : "Ever notice how funny other people's religions are?"

Insp. Clue!So?
02-27-2007, 09:45 AM
[quote from Bob Park]

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/18/AR2007021801396.html

[excerpt]

"Larsen's private crisis of faith might have remained just that, but for one other fateful choice. He decided the religion that best matched his universalist vision was Wicca, a form of worship with ancient pagan roots.

On July 6, he applied to become the first Wiccan chaplain in the U.S. armed forces. This also set off an extraordinary chain of events. By year's end, his superiors not only denied his request but also withdrew him from Iraq and removed him from the chaplain corps -- despite an unblemished service record."

kurto
02-27-2007, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[quote from Bob Park]

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/18/AR2007021801396.html

[excerpt]

"Larsen's private crisis of faith might have remained just that, but for one other fateful choice. He decided the religion that best matched his universalist vision was Wicca, a form of worship with ancient pagan roots.

On July 6, he applied to become the first Wiccan chaplain in the U.S. armed forces. This also set off an extraordinary chain of events. By year's end, his superiors not only denied his request but also withdrew him from Iraq and removed him from the chaplain corps -- despite an unblemished service record."

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Sounds like he'd have a nice lawsuit out of this.

Silent A
02-27-2007, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow. Sounds like he'd have a nice lawsuit out of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read the full article, especially the last page, it becomes clear that this was more of a bureaucratic problem.

Basically he needed to do some paper work to switch from a Christian Church to the Wiccan, but the Christian church refused to accomodate him when they found out he was switching to Wiccan. So, he lost his endorsment from his previous church before his wiccan organization's application to endorse him went though.

End result: no endorsement = no chaplain = bye-bye.

TimWillTell
02-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Great stuff!
I expect religions like that will become more and more popular.
In future it will become less important for a religion to be the true and one and only religion. It will become more important how much mystical power they have.

Duke
02-27-2007, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Great stuff!
I expect religions like that will become more and more popular.
In future it will become less important for a religion to be the true and one and only religion. It will become more important how much mystical power they have.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's always been like that. I'd offer examples, but don't feel like fending off the theistic responses of: "How do you know? Were you there? I didn't think so. STOP PERSECUTING ME."

Stormwolf
06-30-2007, 12:55 PM
this just goes to show how christians are giving loving people who are following the teachings of jesus