PDA

View Full Version : The Well: Sir Winalot

Sir Winalot
02-27-2007, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well and his guide says <font color="blue"> "On any day except tuesday, you can shout any question down that well and you'll be told the answer" </font> . The man seems pretty impressed, and so he shouts down: <font color="red"> Why not on tuesday? </font> and the voice from in the well shouts back: <font color="green"> Because on tuesday, its your day in teh well </font>.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess it's my turn in here. If there's any interest I'll be here to answer your questions today (and tomorrow morning for US ppl).

Let's gogogogooo! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gelford
02-27-2007, 03:06 AM
Errr ... old timer here, that has been away for too long, so basically ... who are you and what are your credentials `?

freedom18
02-27-2007, 03:15 AM
wtf its not tuesday........ LOL

corsakh
02-27-2007, 03:18 AM
Why tuesday? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

EMc
02-27-2007, 03:18 AM
wtf is up with all the LC threads?

Sir Winalot
02-27-2007, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
O RLY? location-location

Genz
02-27-2007, 03:19 AM
For me it is tuesday. Time zone ftw!
I don't know or care about the credentials. I will believe in the answers if I like them. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Question 1: From what position do you start to raise limpers with high SCs like JTs, QJs or do you just limp behind? Do you open raise from MP?
Question 2: What has the stack/bet size-ratio got to be so that you call a preflop raise with a SC IP?

Sir Winalot
02-27-2007, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you serious? LC is my second name so it has to be bad influence from me. Ban me and LC is gone forever. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Edit: Gelford, I think you might be possibly too old time (or then it's just me being a lango-tard), but what is credentials?

kaz2107
1. age

2. pic of urself

3. kind of music u like

4. favorite alcoholic drink

5. favorite soccer team

6. picture of ur poker setup

7. which do u like better a.shipping or b. hollerin

avfletch
Do you have any favourite threads that you've got book marked and would like to share?

Genz
02-27-2007, 03:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends on what you make of it.

Gelford
02-27-2007, 03:26 AM
Yeah I am fairly oldtime ... I just wanted to hear a bit on how you are doing playing this poker thing a bit of history etc etc /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sir Winalot
02-27-2007, 03:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1. age

2. pic of urself

3. kind of music u like

4. favorite alcoholic drink

5. favorite soccer team

6. picture of ur poker setup

7. which do u like better a.shipping or b. hollerin

[/ QUOTE ]
1. 18

2. hell no, it would just scare the kids around here /images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. death metal

4. vodka with battery

5. I don't follow sports

6. sorry, no pics on this one (have to save my dignity)

7. obviously hollerin

Gelford
02-27-2007, 03:35 AM
Favorite finnish passtime:

Two finns go into a sauna and drink a bottle of vodka, one then leaves and the other has to guess, which of them has left the sauna.

Sir Winalot
02-27-2007, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why tuesday? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you'll have to ask dbitle /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
For me it is tuesday. Time zone ftw!
I don't know or care about the credentials. I will believe in the answers if I like them. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Question 1: From what position do you start to raise limpers with high SCs like JTs, QJs or do you just limp behind? Do you open raise from MP?
Question 2: What has the stack/bet size-ratio got to be so that you call a preflop raise with a SC IP?

[/ QUOTE ]
1. I usually start raising 1 limper with T9s+ from MP and usually limp behind 2 limpers with everything but QJs+. I open raise 45s+ from MP.

2. Usually under 5% of effective stacks, the lower the better.

kaz2107
02-27-2007, 03:40 AM
do u sorta resemble tha dude in ur avater???

do u travel much and if so where? evar been to tha US?

of all tha unl posters who would u most b scrrrrd to fight

who would u b least scrrrrd to fight?

freedom18
02-27-2007, 03:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
O RLY? location-location

[/ QUOTE ]

california where the world revolves baby.

Say you 3 bet OOP with AK vs TAG opponent. He calls your raise, flop is blanks what is your line?

Say you 3 bet in pos w/ AK vs TAG opponent. He calls your raise, flop is blanks what is your line?

Sir Winalot
02-27-2007, 03:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Two finns go into a sauna and drink a bottle of vodka, one then leaves and the other has to guess, which of them has left the sauna.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's hard. All I can say. It's like 7th level thinking in poker without any real reads and afer you've been overran by a truck. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, there is a variation to this game in which you use 2 bottles of vodka instead of one. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gelford
02-27-2007, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's hard. All I can say. It's like 7th level thinking in poker without any real reads and afer you've been overran by a truck. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, there is a variation to this game in which you use 2 bottles of vodka instead of one. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That goes without saying ... each finn has his own bottle or did you mean, that each finn has two bottles ??? (You never known with those guys)

Sir Winalot
02-27-2007, 03:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
do u sorta resemble tha dude in ur avater???

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, maybe a little.

[ QUOTE ]

do u travel much and if so where? evar been to tha US?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to the canarian islands in a week or so, and I've been a few times in places around the mediterranean. Never to US though.

[ QUOTE ]

of all tha unl posters who would u most b scrrrrd to fight

[/ QUOTE ]

Scared, lol? I don't fear anyone

[ QUOTE ]

who would u b least scrrrrd to fight?

[/ QUOTE ]

EMc, his avatar looks so ferocious that it must be fake! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

j/k, in reality I suck in fighting so I'd probably run like hell (in which I don't suck)

Sir Winalot
02-27-2007, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have any favourite threads that you've got book marked and would like to share?

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to have many, many threads bookmarked on my computer but it's busted now. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Here's some of the newer ones that I've read/dug up for some reason:

Forum basics (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&amp;Board=microplnl&amp;Number=8912649&amp; PHPSESSID=&amp;fpart=1#Post8912649)

Tiens 6-max post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&amp;Board=microplnl&amp;Number=7827947&amp; PHPSESSID=&amp;fpart=1#Post7827947)

bet sizing/hand reading (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&amp;Board=microplnl&amp;Number=7926945&amp; PHPSESSID=&amp;fpart=1#Post7926945)

bankrolls (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&amp;Board=microplnl&amp;Number=7964709&amp; Searchpage=1&amp;Main=7964709&amp;Words=buying+short+Pokey &amp;topic=&amp;Search=true#Post7964709)

hand reading (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&amp;Number=8629256&amp;an=0&amp;page=0#Post 8629256)

There's the ones that I have now, but I'm sure I'm forgetting many great threads. From the top of my head I can say that the concepts of the week, pokeys "how to use poker tracker", dbitels and pokeys blind stealing articles and the SSNL digests were all very good.

I also liked the istrong videos, they really thought me and made me think about the importance of position and aggression.

Sir Winalot
02-27-2007, 04:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
O RLY? location-location

[/ QUOTE ]

california where the world revolves baby.

Say you 3 bet OOP with AK vs TAG opponent. He calls your raise, flop is blanks what is your line?

[/ QUOTE ]
Usually bet something like 2/3 to full pot and shut down to any resistance.

[ QUOTE ]

Say you 3 bet in pos w/ AK vs TAG opponent. He calls your raise, flop is blanks what is your line?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sometimes b/f and sometimes check behind.

dirtysanchez
02-27-2007, 04:23 AM
poker background up to current stakes?

thoughts on the games in uNL and SSNL if you play them as opposed to 6 months ago? a year ago?

also not a question so much as just giving you some props: ive noticed recently that a lot of uNLers post the same situations and the forum gets into the same arguments each time. a couple of us from SSNL post in a thread and say "do this," and a few days later a similar situation occurs and the cycle repeats itself. yesterday you posted in a thread after me with the exact same advice i gave in one sentence, but you explained the thought process in detail. i think too many SSNLers (myself included) dont put enough thought or effort into posts in uNL, and you set a great example.

ettorek
02-27-2007, 04:27 AM
Hi Sir Winalot,
thanks for sharing with us.

-Stg, mtt, HU or ring?
-At which limit are you playing actually?
-LAG or TAG?
-Live or online?

Cheers
Ettore

rakes.a.beach
02-27-2007, 04:50 AM
lifetime winnings? how long?
what's your winrate now? How long did it take you to reach that? Is there still room to grow?
How many tables? PT? poker ace hud? sixth sense? what addition programs/helps do you use besides 2p2?

Sir Winalot
02-27-2007, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I am fairly oldtime ... I just wanted to hear a bit on how you are doing playing this poker thing a bit of history etc etc /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
My poker story then, huh? Here goes. Maybe we'll even get a new concept here: tb;dr (b for boring) /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I started playing poker when I was 17. I got the whole idea from my friend, who had been playing for a few weeks and was all excited about it and wanted me to try it too. I used to play lots of computer games at that time and online poker didn't sound very cool untill he said it was real money he was playing with, and that I could also get a free 10€ in there. Woot?? ship the money, 5 hands and I was hooked. I started playing fullring 10nl at boss network with a $12 bankroll and managed to not lose it all in my first session because my friend was sweating me over msn. I probably wouldn't have played for very long unless there had been a $100 bonus for new players. I got the first $30 chunk of money after 100 raked hands and $70 400ish later, and there I was, lots of free money and some winnings, me /images/graemlins/heart.gif poker.

My friend thought me basic tag preflop strategy (didn't help much because I sucked hard postflop) and I became a breakeven/slightly winning player. He also thought me something about bankroll management with 20bins, but I was running super-hot and hit 250 in no time, only to move up to 25nl and get my ass kicked up there. Time to read some books and learn some poker =&gt; 25nl ez. Then I slowly worked my way up to 900ish and took some money out to buy a new monitor for my computer. Once I was up to 900 again I thought "25nl is so easy that I'll have no problemo beating teh 50nl"... Wrong. Huge downswing, I withdraw all my remaining bankroll and take a break from poker for a month.

Fresher than ever, I decide to look up a new site where to play on. And here I made the worst mistake on my poker career. I decide to go to ladbrokes and make a small deposit with my parents card (and the account with my own name).. .Stupid, stupid, stupid kid. Although good things happened at that time too, I bought TOP and noticed a link to the 2+2 forums: so goot. At this time I switched to 6-max and started to really learn poker. 1 month of excessive posting later I was killing the 6-max 20nl. During these times I used to post too much and play too little (lots of posts, no skills), but still I was learning faster than I could ever have imagined. But then, disaster struck when I was trying to withdraw my money. Obviously the account name and credit card name didn't match, and ladbrokes with their gay security crappage froze my account. Now this was obviously a problem since I was still 17 and boom, there goes my bankroll (700ish atm).

And once again I had to rely on free money. Luckily titan poker had a $50 waiting for me and I was playing again in early december. I started at 4nl and moved up to 10nl when I had 70 and to 20nl when I had 160. Then I keept grinding the 20nl untill I was nearly rolled for 50nl, took 2 shots and went on to kill the 50nl. Somewhere in there I was still posting way too much and was a pooh-bah before I turned 18. My computer got also busted between the ladbrokes bad beat and titan times, so I've been playig on a 15' laptop screen without poker tracker. For the time being, I'm moving to stars and waiting for my money to transfer so I'm sitting here in the well to not get bored to death.

Meh, it turned out to be long. My poker story everyone! Next Q? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sir Winalot
02-27-2007, 04:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
poker background up to current stakes?

thoughts on the games in uNL and SSNL if you play them as opposed to 6 months ago? a year ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

50nl is the highest I've played and I've only played for 11 months and 6 months seriously. I've heard many say that the games have got harder, but I haven't been playing winning poker long enough to comment on this one, sorry. (don't let the post account confuse, I suck /images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

[ QUOTE ]

also not a question so much as just giving you some props: ive noticed recently that a lot of uNLers post the same situations and the forum gets into the same arguments each time. a couple of us from SSNL post in a thread and say "do this," and a few days later a similar situation occurs and the cycle repeats itself. yesterday you posted in a thread after me with the exact same advice i gave in one sentence, but you explained the thought process in detail. i think too many SSNLers (myself included) dont put enough thought or effort into posts in uNL, and you set a great example.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I used to post the same untill I noticed how usefull pokeys post where (and why). It was because he explained the things so well that ppl will understand it completely and then can think about it themselves, and not just do what the big boys said to do.

But I have to admit that I have the same problem as you. It's all about the money. I play 50nl ftm, so I have a really, really hard time thinking about $0.05 stakes and 5$ buy-ins as real money. It's just so small money for me that I wouldn't really care what happens to it, which makes it hard for me to think in terms of BB/pot size ratio or about really playing the situation in the most +EV way.

Sir Winalot
02-27-2007, 05:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Sir Winalot,
thanks for sharing with us.

-Stg, mtt, HU or ring?
-At which limit are you playing actually?
-LAG or TAG?
-Live or online?

Cheers
Ettore

[/ QUOTE ]
- I absolutely hate sng's (probably because I'm the worst sng player on the planet). MTT are fun to play and a good change for the endless 6-max grinding. I haven't really played any HU because all sites have the lowest HU tables for 50nl, but I have thought about trying it some times, probably once I play 6-max at 100nl. But for the moment I love 6-max ring games and it's my main game. I can't really imagine myself playing the others for too long.

- 50nl

- Positional TAG (well, actually I'm a nit)

- Online, I'd have to use cocktail-sticks to keep my eyelids open in live games.

Gelford
02-27-2007, 05:08 AM
Well, as long as you play for penny cash it doesn't make much difference, but be carefull to not take another beat.

Stars is Costa Rica, you would prefer a EU site in the long run, something from either Gibraltar or Malta like Party or Pacific or whatever

The thing is, that winnings here are taxfree, while the money you win at sites like Stars, UB or FTP are not

EMc
02-27-2007, 05:10 AM
Who should I ban arbitrarily just FFS?

Sir Winalot
02-27-2007, 05:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
lifetime winnings? <font color="blue"> Probably a little over $2k, would be closer to $3k without a little 'bad beat' (see poker story) </font> how long? <font color="blue"> I've been playing for 12ish months, with some longer and shorter breaks inbetween. </font>
what's your winrate now? <font color="blue"> I'm winnning, can't say because I don't have PT </font> How long did it take you to reach that? <font color="blue"> Not long after I joined 2+2 </font> Is there still room to grow? <font color="blue"> obviously, I have lots to learn </font>
How many tables?<font color="blue">4, but I'm moving to stars so I'll probably add 2 more </font> PT? poker ace hud? <font color="blue"> pt and pahud before computer fried </font> sixth sense? <font color="blue"> never heard </font> what addition programs/helps do you use besides 2p2? <font color="blue"> none, just listen to death metal while I play, helps in being aggressive </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Sir Winalot
02-27-2007, 05:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The thing is, that winnings here are taxfree, while the money you win at sites like Stars, UB or FTP are not

[/ QUOTE ]
Yikes, I've never thought about that. I used to play on titan poker which is canadian and didn't pay any taxes. Where would I have to pay these taxes? And how much?

rakes.a.beach
02-27-2007, 05:16 AM
What does pooh-bah mean?
Where do you go to college, if any?
Where do you live?
How the hell do you play without PT? I have hard enough time knowing villian's preflop play WITH PT, how do you do w/o it?

And, thanks for doing this =)

Sir Winalot
02-27-2007, 05:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Who should I ban arbitrarily just FFS?

[/ QUOTE ]
Pick 6 random names from uNL and throw a dice. It's fun. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What does pooh-bah mean? <font color="blue"> No idea, probably that I'm cool. /images/graemlins/cool.gif</font>
Where do you go to college, if any? <font color="blue"> lol high school, 2nd year </font>
Where do you live? <font color="blue"> Loc: Suomi-Finland perkele </font>
How the hell do you play without PT? <font color="blue"> I'm a wizard </font> I have hard enough time knowing villian's preflop play WITH PT, how do you do w/o it? <font color="blue"> I make real reads, they are much better. Only thing I really would like to have pt for is to se my own stats/winrates/leaks etc. </font>

And, thanks for doing this =)

[/ QUOTE ]

Gelford
02-27-2007, 05:24 AM
Well as said, nobody cares about penny cash, but if you start pulling in serious amounts, then the yearly report to the IRS from your bank will light a red light and you might get an inquiry as to where those money came from ... which in turn will lead to a taxation.

Pokerwinnings are taxed like a regular income, which here in Denmark amounts to 40-60%

I do not know the finnish rules with regards to reporting tax'es etc, so that I can't help with.

I do know that you have the same rules with regards to EU sites that we do, since it all comes down to the Lindmann ruling. Lindmann was finnish and won a big lottery price in Sweden, which the Finnish Goverment tried to tax. The case was disputed in the European Court and Finland lost ... and based on this ruling, Ladbrokes won over the Danish Goverment earlier this year with regards to a Huge MTT score. So the EU sites are officially in the clear now

Sir Winalot
02-27-2007, 05:32 AM
Thanks gelford, I think I'll still move to stars for the time being. But for the future I think I'll have to find out about this ruling.

But wtf ppl we have only 34 posts gogogoo I'm here only for 24h!! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Gelford
02-27-2007, 05:36 AM
You're welcome ... and dude, we have still have Party, many envy us that (multitablehelper and Partyplanner even makes the software tolerable)

Genz
02-27-2007, 06:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well as said, nobody cares about penny cash, but if you start pulling in serious amounts, then the yearly report to the IRS from your bank will light a red light and you might get an inquiry as to where those money came from ... which in turn will lead to a taxation.

Pokerwinnings are taxed like a regular income, which here in Denmark amounts to 40-60%

I do not know the finnish rules with regards to reporting tax'es etc, so that I can't help with.

I do know that you have the same rules with regards to EU sites that we do, since it all comes down to the Lindmann ruling. Lindmann was finnish and won a big lottery price in Sweden, which the Finnish Goverment tried to tax. The case was disputed in the European Court and Finland lost ... and based on this ruling, Ladbrokes won over the Danish Goverment earlier this year with regards to a Huge MTT score. So the EU sites are officially in the clear now

[/ QUOTE ]

It still depends on whether the legal system you live in considers winnings from gambling as income. Finland seems to do so. Germany doesn't. So when you win a lottery or on a gameshow or in a casino, it's not considered income and therefore tax free. OTOH, online gambling is illegal so they could theoretically freeze your bankroll, I think. So it all depends on where you live.

ama0330
02-27-2007, 06:49 AM
WE THE PEOPLE DEMAND LIFETIME GRAPHS AND STATS!!

Sir Winalot
02-27-2007, 07:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Computer busted, no graphs. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

ama0330
02-27-2007, 07:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are no longer Sir Winalot. You are now simply "winalot". Note de-capitalisation. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Freelancer
02-27-2007, 07:54 AM
I noticed you said 'you fear nobody', care to play HU?

I'd be glad to teach you true fear. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ps. Awesome nick

ADK
02-27-2007, 08:08 AM
do you shave your ass hairs?

and what do you reakon the top 3 softest poker sites are, top 3 toughest sites, and your top 3 personal fav sites online?

fooz
02-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Old timer my a$$...what's with all the 05'er and 06'ers in this forum.

Sir Winalot
02-27-2007, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Anything for a lady.

[ QUOTE ]

and what do you reakon the top 3 softest poker sites are, top 3 toughest sites, and your top 3 personal fav sites online?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I've only played on 3 sites. So far the softest by far has been the iPoker network.

Sir Winalot
02-27-2007, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Old timer my a$$...what's with all the 05'er and 06'ers in this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
You post too much. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I noticed you said 'you fear nobody', care to play HU?

I'd be glad to teach you true fear. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ps. Awesome nick

[/ QUOTE ]
Rofl HU for bankrolls!!! Nah, I suck HU but I'm planning to learn it sometime. Obviously I have the most awesome nick on this entire forum. <font color="white">j/k </font> /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sir Winalot
02-27-2007, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are no longer Sir Winalot. You are now simply "winalot". Note de-capitalisation. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Nooooooo. I'm nothing without my 'Sir'. Although I've been playing so wussy lately that maybe I should change it for Lady Nitalot. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

kaz2107
02-27-2007, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Nooooooo. I'm nothing without my 'Sir'. Although I've been playing so wussy lately that maybe I should change it for Lady Nitalot . /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
do i hear a custom title emc??

ADK
02-27-2007, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Anything for a lady.

[/ QUOTE ]

sucker /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Freelancer
02-28-2007, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rofl HU for bankrolls!!! Nah, I suck HU but I'm planning to learn it sometime. Obviously I have the most awesome nick on this entire forum. j/k

[/ QUOTE ]
Lovely so if you play me HU you can learn AND donate money to me, ain't that a bargain? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

whodatdare
02-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Dimmu Borgir or Celtic Frost?

TheGrifter
02-28-2007, 02:44 PM
I don't know OP, but I just read most of the posts and this may be the worst "The Well" ever.

Sorry.